Thursday, March 29

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2001

      other and with a universe of
      consciousness. Wolf howled in
      triumph and Mirror silently
      exulted with him, world
      without end, amen.

      In the words of my Ashkanazic
      ancestors -- Mazel Tov!

      JAMES TRAVERSE

      Hi folks, I would appreciate your views on the question: "Is
      hunger an illusion?" Thanks, James

      HARSHA

      You ask a wonderful question James about the nature of hunger.
      Here is the definitive hint. No need for gratitude. This stuff
      is a piece of cake for me (sorry for the reference to food!). I
      will pass this on to HarshaSatsangha as well.

      Hunger is an illusion right after having had breakfast.
      Gradually it appears to become real before lunch and has to be
      dealt with in a fitting fashion. This cycle continues
      indefinitely until the body drops. After that there is the
      hunger to get another body (being born again). That hunger
      disappears after having received a body.

      Hunger is essentially the fundamental desire to survive. From
      that appear thousands and millions of other hungers.

      Meditation means to know the true nature of this hunger. That is
      why meditation on the breath is taught in many traditions. In
      and out. The hunger to breath is most fundamental to the body.
      One can't help it.

      If you look at any spiritual practice (fasting, pranayama,
      meditation) they all focus on hungers of various types. Through
      any one strand of hunger you can go back to the fundamental
      hunger and understand its Source.

      That fundamental hunger to know One's Own Nature calls. Always
      calls. The Buddha Nature calls. The Original Face calls. It does
      not sing out, come to me! Come and look at me! It calls by
      Simply Existing. By Simply Being! It Calls ItSelf. It breathes
      It Self. With every breath the reminder is there. It Sings to It
      Self!

      DAN BERKOW

      Is hunger illusion?
      Not to a hungry stomach.

      The mind that can deny hunger,
      by calling it illusion, is itself
      illusion.

      Illusion compared with what?

      Why reality, of course.

      And what is reality?

      Firstly, it's not a conceptual
      construct, finding its truth
      in relation to other conceptual
      constructs which can affirm,
      deny, or maintain it.

      Secondly, word-meanings are
      in the realm of conceptual
      constructs.

      If you can understand that
      words can never give what
      is beyond themselves,
      and a hungry stomach
      is pointing to feeding time,
      you may find truth
      without having to look
      anywhere, and illusion
      may fall away of its
      own accord.

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      Hunger is an illusion for a mind, thinking in terms of "reality"
      and "illusion", a mode of thinking which could be called
      "delusion".

      WHITE WOLF

      on this blessed day what a wonderful question to play with....

      as the spirit longs for union, the heart for wisdom, the mind
      for words, the body for food, so all creation longs for the
      beloved just as the beloved longs for creation, love is always
      unfolding iself as higher love...the thirst, the hunger of the
      inifinte for the particular, the particular for the infinite is
      Love itself...at the center where the end of days meets the
      beginning of nights i will write the perfect poem for Mira and
      be nought...then and only then the thirst will end....until then
      the only thing that is real is the thirst, the hunger for the
      beloved.....so i strive to perfect my thirst.....humger into
      lust...lust into knowledge....knowledge into wisdom....wisdom
      into love...love into higher love(eros to phylia to storge to
      agape)....dissolving into blissful union.....and the silver
      wheel just keeps spinning endlessley and without effort
      forever.....one day we will all dance, sing and laught together,
      but we will know that we are dancing, singing and laughing
      together.....without love there is nothing.....with love there
      is everything.....love is the integral embrace that animates and
      lifts all things great and small higher and higher and
      higher.....^^~~~~~

      OMKARA

      Hunger is not an illusion, the body is not an illusion. However,
      these things are not strictly real, either. They are completely
      dependent on consciousness, or consciousness is 'prior'.

      When a hungry man sleeps, he feels his hunger no longer. If a
      hungry man goes into a coma, the hunger is not there. Maybe even
      if a person feels hungry and sees a long-lost loved one, the
      hunger is forgotten.

      Loss of consciousness or the memory of consciousness is enough
      to immediately erase hunger, or even a distraction from the
      contents of consciousness. Hunger is a need of the body, and
      leaving the body alone it will satisfy it, with the aid of
      thought... there is no need of a 'me' to do so, despite Gene
      Poole's assertion. In all cases, the "I" or "me" is entirely
      redundant.

      GLORIA LEE

      One of the members of the Sri Arunachala group received the
      following in her email and I thought you would find this of
      interest.

      Dear Friends, I am sending you this letter in an effort to
      secure preservation status for Arunchala, the holy mountain in
      India. There will be a court hearing in Chennai(Madras) on April
      3 to decide the fate of this sacred site. Although there are
      those who believe property rights are an issue, my own feeling
      is that this is one of those cases where the preservation of the
      mountain takes precedence. If you are in agreement, please go to
      the Ramanshram website The Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi Website
      - Home page http://www.ramana-maharshi.org or Untitled Document:
      http://www.ramana-maharshi.org/april_3.htm

      and send a copy of the letter or write your own to the email
      address given. Much Thanks, Julia Borg

      GANGAJI
      from Ananda Sky's Friends of Satsang

      Let your heart break!

      When the heart breaks, it breaks wide open. We're all so afraid
      of our hearts breaking. So we build these safety meters: "Uh oh,
      I have to back off here… Could get hurt here…!"

      Let your self be hurt. Let your self be hurt! When you're
      really, really hurt - aah, what bliss! The heart is open. This
      is the truth! You know, in this protection from being hurt, how
      you suffer in the deadness, in the lifelessness… This attempt to
      protect is the suffering.

      Let-your-self-be-hurt!

      Yes, life-form is fragile and impermanent and in any instant
      could go - this life-form, the loved ones around you, the planet
      itself. But is the solution then to say, "Well, I gotta back off
      from loving"? It has been attempted, of course. That's the
      mental kind of, "Oh, I see… this is the problem." And then even
      the Buddha's teaching gets interpreted that way, that detachment
      means that kind of separation. It's not so.

      When you let yourself be hurt, you let this heart fill with what
      you are experiencing as this precious gift of life-form
      recognizing itself in life as life. You let yourself overflow
      with that. Yes, your heart breaks - and your spirit is free.

      THOMAS MURPHY
      from See What Is list

      questioner: Waking up this morning, I was
      struck with how it can be so clearly observed
      that 'things age' (milk 'becomes' rancid left
      out of the refrigerator, a magazine from 1802
      looks 'old', etc.). So how is 'there is only now'
      derived? Why is there such an abundance of
      evidence of 'time passing' in that which is
      manifest?

      tomas: This mystery is resolved for mind by
      careful observation of the dreaming
      phenomenon. In the "sleeping dream"
      whenever an entity appears--person, thing
      or whatever--it is accompanied by a complete
      history that endows it with compelling meaning
      within the context of the dream. This is
      equally true in the "waking dream." However,
      awareness detached from the dream, either
      during or following the sleep state is able to
      ascertain that this seemingly comprehensive
      history is entirely ad hoc. That is, the timeline
      or worldline of the dream event is seen to
      erupt into consciousness all at once.
      Detached awareness discerns that the
      history, though integrally consistent within
      its context, yet spontaneously erupts within
      original nothingness.

      q: The whole thing could only be akin to a
      hallucination or a dream. How does such
      simpicity appear so incredibly tangled
      and convoluted?

      t: This ability to discern the spontaneous
      creation of worldlines is the reason that
      sleeping dreams are discounted as being
      less real than waking dreams, where such
      discrimination is far less common, owing to
      the fact that awareness is more likely to be
      enthralled by the contents of the dream.

      The paradox is resolved when the assumption
      of continuity is eliminated. The problem is that
      in the waking dream continuity goes largely
      unquestioned, owing to the seamless
      consistency of events occurring within its
      venue.

      q: It still makes no sense, on the level of
      thought, that things appear to age and
      change, if no time is involved.

      I understand that history and historical
      context is a false 'reference point'... but
      why the appearance of aging/changing
      within the context? This appearance
      can't be denied, as appearance.

      t: One at once denies nothing
      and embraces everything
      at the single-pointed nexus
      of experience
      sensing
      feeling
      recollecting
      expecting
      reasoning
      willing
      seen in a dream of breathtaking depth.

      History telescopes fractally
      single-point-of-origin
      and all-that-is
      harmonize as clamorous infinite abundance
      resounding in silent eternal beauty.

      Seen edge-on
      the entire continuum
      though single pointed
      yet contains all.

      And this is the point.

      What is to be noticed is not
      the apparent reality
      or imputed unreality
      of experience
      but the stunning spontaneous eruption
      of panoramic history
      at a naked singularity
      grounding the event horizon of experience.

      Beginning and end
      what is is what is.

      Everything's encapsulated within.

      There's no point in denying anything,
      even as there's no point in affirming anything
      everything simply is,
      history and all.

      While this may resound as permanence
      within temporal mind,
      it is absolute freedom
      within eternal being.

      Bizarre as it may sound,
      history can be anything,
      as it continually shifts
      with the prevailing winds
      of sensing, feeling, dreaming and reasoning.

      History may well be regarded
      as a more or less coherent set of circumstances
      surrounding a point in an impromptu story line
      told by oneself to oneself
      here now.

      Its apparent continuity
      is merely a seductively effective way of projecting
      infinite abundance
      within yet another self-defining instance
      of universal body/mind.

      At the level of oneness,
      all is nothing
      and thus one is everything in potency.

      In moments of silence
      one attunes with one.

      Whatever may be needed
      is provided.

      History is simply a reflection
      within a bubble of perception
      seen from a focal point
      beyond time and place.

      ~tomas
      (c) 2001 thomas murphy

      VINNY AMADOR
      from The End of the Rope Ranch list

      A man was walking along a mountain path. The path was narrow and
      there was a sheer vertical cliff. The man was walking not paying
      attention when he suddenly slipped and fell. He fell a great
      distance and by luck ended up in some branches. He looked up and
      saw there was no way he could climb up the sheer wall of rock,
      and in looking down saw a raging river with rocks. He began to
      lament and cry and started yelling "HELP!!!, Hello, is anyone up
      there??" A sweet gentle voice in total peace replied, "dear one,
      I AM the lord thy god, simply let go, I am here, let go and
      embrace freedom, be with me". The man replied, "ummmm, is Anyone
      else up there"?

      You are, in all that you represent, a part of living. Not somewhere
      in a corner all by yourself, but like the incense of a burning incense
      stick, gradually spreading itself out into infinity. This is the way you

      are sharing in living.

      ~Abbah Frédéric
      (from Gill Eardley's NondualQuotes list)