Wednesday, March 21

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2001
      TERRY MURPHY: SIMULACRA AND SIMULATION

      We have discussed the move, "The Matrix." In one scene, Neo
      picks a couple of small digital devices out of the hollow of a
      book, and sells them to some young party-goers in an obviously
      illegal transaction. If you look closely and freeze the frame,
      the title of the book he takes these devices from is "Simulacra
      and Simulation" - the book looks like an old leather jacket, but
      it is actually a recent (1981 - early, actually) work by Jean
      Baudrillard. A quote:

      "Thus perhaps at stake has always been the murderous capacity of
      images, murderers of the real, murderers of their own model, as
      the Byzantine icons could murder the divine identity. To this
      murderous capacity is opposed the dialectical capacity of
      representations as a visible and intelligible mediation of the
      Real. All of Western faith and good faith was engaged in this
      wager on representation: That a sign could refer to the depth of
      meaning, that a sign could exchange for meaning, and that
      something could guarantee this exchange---God, of course. But
      what if God himself can be simulated, that is to say, reduced to
      the signs which attest his existence? Then the whole system
      becomes weightless, it is no longer anything but a gigantic
      simulacrum---not unreal, but a simulacrum, never again
      exchanging for what is real, but exchanging in itself, in an
      uninterrupted circuit without reference or circumference. "So it
      is with simulation, insofar as it is opposed to representation.
      The latter starts from the principle that the sign and the real
      are equivalent (even if this equivalence is utopian, it is a
      fundamental axiom). Conversely, simulation starts from the
      utopia of this principle of equivalence, from the radical
      negation of the sign as value, from the sign as reversion and
      death sentence of every reference. Whereas representation tries
      to absorb simulation by interpreting it as false representation,
      simulation envelops the edifice of representation as itself a
      simulacrum. This would be the successive phases of the image:

      it is the reflection of a basic reality.

      it masks and perverts a basic reality.

      it masks the absence of a basic reality.

      it bears no relation to any reality whatever: it is its own pure
      simulacrum.

      ---Jean Baudrillard, "The Evil Demon of Images and the
      Precession of Simulacra," in Thomas Docherty, ed.,
      Postmodernism: A Reader (New York: Columbia Univ. Press, 1993)
      pp. 194 ff.

      CEE

      dearest friends, here are some quotes from the inner directions
      gathering: let's all go next year. it's fun to be in a room full
      of hundreds of other nondually ones. love, cee

      The mind understands the heart innerstands --Adyashanti

      I had to find the answer or I would die --Stephen Jourdain

      I am certifiably not a saint --Gangaji

      Let consciousness come back for itself, meet every bit of
      itself. Embrace everything you ever tried to get away from,
      embrace everything you fear, embrace everything you hate.
      --Adyashanti

      I really wanted to know, I deeply asked with every fiber of my
      being, I was ready to give up everything for that one glimpse.
      --Tony Parsons

      It doesn't get better than this! --Eckhart Tolle

      JERRY KATZ

      hi cee,

      i appreciate hearing these quotes. Meeting you was the first
      time I ever drowned in the beingness of another human being. And
      I thought I was too old and jaded for a Guru. When you invited
      me to visit you in Oakland, I woke up at 4am for a 5:30am
      flight. You welcomed me warmly into your home and showed me a
      very good time. Your husband was warm and gracious as well. When
      you drove me back to the airport I said I didn't want to leave.
      You said we're not separating and were right.

      CEE

      dear one
      you are
      the sole existent reality
      one without a second
      imperishable
      attributeless
      immutable
      self effulgent
      rest as conceptless joy my dear
      rest in
      deep peace to infinity
      brilliant as a thousand thousand suns
      you are
      without attributes or differentiation
      untouched by anything at all
      perfect in your imperfection
      vast and
      always already free
      alive as every single thing
      you are ever indivisable
      ever indivisable ever
      ever indivisable
      rest
      as
      conceptless
      joy
      my dear

      dearest friends,

      here's the thing
      i really want to tell you

      nonduality is not a unity of separate parts
      do you see?
      you can't assume you're a part
      and try to make it whole
      it just ain't gonna happen

      tried it for endless eons
      impossible
      impossible
      impossible
      you might as well accept the fact that you are

      god

      you (i)
      exactly you
      are all that there is