Friday March 9, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2001

      DAN

      With the perceived need to end hunger, coupled
         with the perceived intention to focus
         and motivate toward making external changes,
         hunger continues.
      Grandiose schemes with benevolent sounding
         names, promoting a false sense of responsibility
         by one who wants prominence as a leader --
         the world abounds with these.
      This concept that nonduality is a concept that can
         be promoted by an institution --
         where did that get started?

      Any comments on this, please?

      "Yogananda said that without continued mastery of the remaining aspects of
      the ego, the soul loses its degree of realization, much as an athlete loses
      his/her skill without continued practice. For the soul that has had
      glimpses of its oneness with God, he prescribed deeper meditation,
      unflinching self-discipline and mastery of one's thoughts and feelings.
      Through repeated contact of the soul with God through spiritual practice,
      he said, the soul could stay anchored in what he termed "Final
      Realization," whether in meditation or in activity."

      ____________________________
      |                 Lots of love,                  |
      |               Cyber Dervish

      See the ego for what it is.
      It's the thought that functions as a wrapper
      around every thought and feeling.
      It's like your skin.
      The healthy ego is porous.

      andrew

      ------------------

      The only finality is openness
         without beginning.

      Whatever ends had a beginning;
         whatever can be lost, was gained.

      Anything that can be validated,
         can and will be invalidated.

      What never began, won't end.
      What never got started has
         no opposition.
      What never received validation
         never will be invalid.

      Lose anything that can be lost.
      What is left, never began.
      This is "your true self-nature"
         or "Godhead without God, you,
         or me".

      What can never be gained is
         what was never lost; what was
         imagined as something that
         could have been forgotten
         never needed to be remembered.

      Contact can be gained and lost.
      Anything that can be contacted
         is transient, as is the one
         who can make the contact.

      Whatever can be maintained,
         repeated, or anchored,
         can and will be lost --
         is not "true nature".

      Peace,
      Dan

      Only Sounds Like Yesterday

      Friday.

      Overcast.

      Sleet.

      Touch of a sniffle.

      And, flannel.

      Who defines anything?

      I do.

      Wisdom is not theWay.

      Wisdom is a path 'that is in theWay'.

      There is no "Hey, hey you! Quit hogging the wisdom you fool".

      Like there is such a thing.

      As a thing that is...

      Jesus Christ

      ~Doc Hobbes
      --
      Shaking off the snow
      a bear and two opened eyes

      Reverse Satsang and Stuff

      Hello NDS,

      The last few days I've had an opportunity to look at the world and
      people of nonduality from unique perspectives. I'll write in further
      detail in the near future.

      There really is none of those things, except as I create them. All
      one can do is live in the present, yet there are always time's
      tentacles that pull one into the past or toward the future. Only the
      fresh and alive one receives the standing ovation. At Inner
      Directions that was Adyashanti, a young teacher who sparkled in the
      moment. A person has to fight for his place in the present.

      I woke up this morning thinking that satsang in the western world
      needs to be upset a little. I recommend reverse satsang. That's where
      the satsang guy is required to ask the devotee\student questions. A
      little reverse Satsang might be a good thing.

      A good man who handles all the Satsang schedules for a large city,
      asked me what I do when someone asks to be on my website and they're
      not quite nondual. I said I make room for them. Apparently he has
      been refusing to place certain teachers on his Satsang schedule for
      reasons which do have validity. He's not in an easy position. But I
      hope he can find room for them. Every attempt should be made to be
      all-inclusive.

      I know that Dustin has enjoyed the responses to his letters. What can
      one say about breaking through to the next level of awareness?
      Certainly in this very instant the doorway exists. There are nothing
      but doorways. An absolute nothing-move is required to move through
      infinity.

      This is all for now. Stay fresh, young and beautiful as you all are.

      Love,
      Jerry

      Thanks, Jerry. Reversing satsang has a lovely appeal to it. I was
      going to post something about illusion. Your post reminded me of
      something I asked you at the retreat and your gentle response.

      I asked what criteria you use to determine what you put on the NDS
      website. You gently smiled and said something to the effect that
      people need a space to just be. No, that wasn't the exact question,
      nor was it the exact answer. Matters not. What came through was the
      great gentleness of just being and accepting.

      Well, today I am preparing to move to Las Vegas. There is a big
      illusory U-Haul parked outside the house that sits in the middle of
      nowhere. Hooked to the truck is an illusory red convertible. Soon the
      truck will be loaded with phantom boxes packed full of transitory
      stuff. The larger boxes contain the lightest things. The smaller boxes
      the heavier things.

      When and if noon tomorrow becomes this very moment, I will be saying
      goodbye to dear friends at a small gathering. With joy and love I
      shall hug and kiss them. It will not be goodbye - they are in my heart
      and shall remain there forever.

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Thoughts come and go
      Feelings arise and pass
      Birth and death endlessly cycle
      In this there is understanding

      No wrong and no right
      God is not in heaven
      Man is not in hell
      Here and now is the song of being

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Every tear that is shed falls from the face of God.
      Rejoice in this day for it is good!

      Peace - Michael

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

              What does it mean to learn the knowledge of
              God's Unity?  To consume yourself in the
              presence of the One.  If you wish to shine like
              day, burn up the night of self-existence.
              Dissolve in the Being who is everything.
              You grabbed hold of "I" and "we,"
              and this dualism is your ruin.

                                      - Rumi

      Version by Camille and Kabir Helminski