Thursday March 8th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2001
      A quiet day on the NDS.

      Gloria forwarded this;

      An outstanding message from this list. Tho subscribing is recommended. One message a
      day with no discussion.

      The book Advaita Bodha Deepika
      (The Lamp of Non-dual Knowledge) is one of the few books esteemed by Sri Ramana

      Sri Ramana Maharshi often quoted from
      the Advaita Bodha Deepika.

      This English Translation was thoroughly revised in the presence of Sri Ramana

      Subject: [AdvaitaBodhaDeepika] Is any distinction made amongst seekers who are

      The Lamp of Nondual Knowledge

      (Advaita Bodha Deepika)

      Chapter 3, P43&44 The Means of Accomplishment

      (Sadhana) continued:

      Disciple: "Can the want of requisite qualities

      disqualify even a very learned scholar?

      Master: Be he learned in all the sacred lore

      or ignorant of all of it,

      only the four-fold requisites

      can qualify a man for inquiry.

      The scripture (sruti) says:

      'The one whose mind is in equipoise,

      senses controlled,

      whose activities have ceased

      and who possesses fortitude'

      is fit for this.

      From this it follows

      that others are not competent

      but only those possessing the four-fold virtues are.

      70. Disciple: Is any distinction made amongst

      seekers who are competent?

      Master: For inquiry into the Self

      there is absolutely no distinction bearing on:

      stage of life

      or other similar matters.

      Be the seeker:

      the foremost scholar (pandit),

      illiterate man,

      old man,

      practitioner of austerities and disciplines (tapasvi),

      renunciate (sanyasi),

      mature soul (brahmin),

      a lawmaker or soldier (ksatriya),

      a landowner or merchant (vaisya),

      a worker or servant (sudra),

      or a woman,

      only these four qualifications

      make up the seeker.

      This is the undisputed view

      of the scriptures (vedas and sastras).

      71. Disciple: This cannot be. How can illiterate

      men and women be qualified to the exclusion of a

      pandit learned in the scriptures (sastras)?

      He must certainly be more qualified than others.

      You say that a knowledge of the scriptures (sastras)

      is no qualification, but the practice of their

      teaching is. No one can practice what he has not known.

      How can an illiterate person qualify himself

      in the requisite manner?

      Master: In reply I ask you,

      and you tell me

      how does the learned man qualify himself?

      Disciple: Because he has known the teachings of the

      scriptures (sastras) that he should not perform action

      (karma) for selfish ends, but dedicate it to God,

      he will do so; his mind will be purified; gradually he

      will acquire the dispassion, etc., needed for inquiry.

      Now tell me how an illiterate man can qualify himself.

      Master: He also can. Though not learned now,

      he might have learned the teachings

      in preceding births,

      done actions dedicated to God;

      his mind being already pure enough,

      he can now readily acquire the qualities needed

      for inquiry into the Self."

      For many links to where you can read
      the Teachings of Non-duality on the web click:

      One of Doc Hobbes' poems;

      The cat is not mine.
      Do I wish it killed?
      What's the point in that?

      <compared to what
      in a seamless light
      I wondered.>

      The difference between
      three and two
      is in my's
      point of view.

      On direction:
      He points with his new sickle
      and wishes his head would work.

      A paraphrase:
      When your mind is as mine you may enter here.

      "Nothing in; nothing out" So says the Lord and Thus is it's keeper.

      Shaking off the snow
      a bear and two opened eyes
      spoke to the sky.

      I would like to introduce you to Sri Linda Callanan who has written a wonderful
      article on Vedic Astrology and how it relates
      to the different chakras in the body. It can be found on the HarshaSatsangh website by
      clicking the following url.

      Even as a layperson in the subject of Astrology, I was able to follow with interest
      the logic and explanations given. Lindaji is
      a long time teacher and practitioner of yoga with an extensive background in Eastern
      philosophies, Kundalini Yoga, and
      Astrology. She is a regular contributor to HarshaSatsangh and her posts are reflect
      the wisdom that comes from living and
      reflecting on the mysteries of life.

      Linda writes,

      "Whether we are seeking a solution to suffering or are trying to quench an inner
      yearning that life leaves unsatisfied, eventually
      we look towards spirituality for answers. This quest can lead to meditation, yoga,
      philosophy or some other metaphysical
      disciplines. A metaphysical science with which many of us are familiar is astrology,
      the study of planetary positions and activities
      in relation to life on earth. The Western world is most familiar with the solar-based
      astrology of ancient Greece."

      "In recent years Western culture has become more familiar with the spiritual teachings
      of Eastern cultures and along with the
      various spiritual systems that have been embraced is an astrological system that
      originated in India known as Vedic Astrology."

      "As its name implies, Vedic Astrology.s roots are embedded in the ancient scriptures
      known as the Vedas. According to some,
      the Vedas are the oldest written teachings known to mankind and from these writings
      comes the philosophy behind yoga,
      advaita and ayurveda. Throughout these ancient scriptures are many references to the
      study of planetary patterns and it is
      obvious that the movement of the planets were carefully calculated. The Rig Veda,
      which is the first of the written Vedas,
      contains references to the vernal equinox being located in the constellation of Cancer
      which dates approximately to 6,000 BC.
      It is believed that the Brahmin priests planned their rituals and ceremonies according
      the movement of the luminaries and

      Rest of the article can be read on the website.

      We are fortunate to have someone of Sri Linda's knowledge and understanding of
      and Yoga. I encourage you to read the article if you have an interest in the science

      Love to all