ND highlights for Sunday, March 4, 2001

  • Beth352006@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2001
      hi from inner directions

      Jerry:
      hi,

      i'm at an internet cafe saloning the web.
      The Inner Directions gathering was very good;
      not much more to say right now. We met lots
      of people and a few of us had dinner Saturday
      night, including Jody, who I didn't spend enough
      time with, Christiana, Thomas Murphy from
      see-what-is list, and his stunning wife Diane,
      Chuck Hillig and his friends Bob and Mary, and
      Cee, who is a living statement of her poetry,
      someone I've been hanging out with for the last
      ten thousand years.

      i'll be writing more about this next time i get
      to a computer.

      love,
      jerry

      Tim:
      Dear Jerry,

      Thanks for writing from La Jolla!  If any plans
      arise for a get  together this summer, I would
      really enjoy meeting you and anyone  else who
      posts to NDS -- including the ones (thankfully
      not too many) who would like to bust me a
      good one in the jaw <grin>.

      Namaste!

      Tim / Omkara
      The Benefits of Awakening

      Webfarer/Matthew/Cyber Dervish

      Webfarer <swork@a...> wrote:

      > > When a person awakens there is no
      > >benefit to Reality. To Reality it makes no
      > >difference if a form [body/mind] is realized
      > >or not.
      > >
      > > As Gensha once said:
      > > "If you understand, things are such as they are.
      > >  If you do not understand, things are such as they are."
      > >
      > > So the only benefit, if any, is to the body/mind?
      > >
      > > =============================
      >One who is awake in the spiritual sense,is
      >expressing Light, is rapture itself, ecstatic,
      >blissful. Such a one is like a pulsating
      >moment or event of Radiance, filling all
      >corners  and all directions with light, even
      >unto the darkest place in all of the universe.
      >Such a one is Love itself, present to shine
      >on any and all who will recognize this
      >benediction. And shining on all who won't
      >recognize this benediction as a silent and
      >profound encouragement towards recognition.
      >Surrender to the Will of God, or Slavery to
      >the Law in every moment, allows one to be
      >or to exist as perfect sympathy to the
      Divine Process and to the Divine Essence,
      >which is Light, Love,Power, Glory, Compassion,
      >and Mercy.
      >Such a one loses personification (in
      >the Real sense, not in the apparent sense)
      >in bending to the needs of everyman, and
      >even to the endless worlds of creation in
      >every form.
      >....................matthew

      Now this fits in with my small experiences and
      with what I have read elsewhere. But on this
      list some people claim that there does not
      have to be any change in an awakened person!
      I am not a religious person, nor do I believe
      in any organized religion. In fact it is only
      recently that I have started believing in God
      again. However,  yesterday when I saw that
      Whoopie Goldberg movie about nuns
      singing their love for God in that church
      my heart wanted to burst out of
      my chest and tears were rolling down my eyes.
      love,
      Cyber Dervish
      Impure Love

      Jan/Glo:
      Imp, you're "above" imp you're love...
      What a funny language is English :)

      Jan

      Well...we aren't quite funny enough
      yet to take our act on the road, but Tim
      and I are working on it. :)

      Glo

      White Wolfe:

      ...there is no such thing as 'Impure Love'...
      unless of course these words refer to love
      that is carnal to the point of lacking
      compassion for the object of one's desire,
      but even then this cannot trully said to be
      impure...eros is the beginning of love....it
      may be discovered in a brothel....but from
      there it will begin its endless ascent into higher
      love...so even selfish love is only impure when
      it is placed in relationship to a higher love
      which cannot exist with that impure love as its
      true ground....is the ocean impure...perhaps,
      in relationship to a snowflake...but without
      one the other does not exist....eros to storge.
      to phylia...to agape....and back again.....
      the circle spirals ever upward into the Beloved
      ...hence the fact that all great relgious/mystic/
      non-dual poetry is erotic...love is both profane
      and sacred...carnal and spiritual...to not
      realize this is to fall into one of the endless
      traps of dualistic illusion....^^~~~~

      further up and further in,

      --------------------------------------
      Spontaneous Pure Love

      Dervish:
      (snipped)
      When I felt that 'love' I did not see their faces
      or bodies, just some sortof aura surrounding
      them. I mean I felt this love for their 'auras'.
      But it was a total kind of love. No reservations,
      no holding back.

      Any explanations? >

      Xan:
      ~ in Reality
      we are all completely in love with each
      other all the time.
      It shows how far we have strayed from
      our nature that these moments have
      become rare and amazing.
      Now they are signs we are waking up from
      the dream of forgetting...
      with or without the concept of non-duality.  :-)

      Bhadraiah:
      Xan, this answer of yours is dearest to my heart.

      Check out some more on the states.. (it
      needs some familiarity with  argon like agni,
      indra to post on that list though).

      Compassion

      Tim:
      Dear List,

      Let us not forget the natural statement
      of love when confronted with suffering:
      Compassion.  This letter is not meant to
      be a full exploration of the subject.

      Compassion is definitely not pity ...
      it is a feeling of love for suffering beings.

      The other day, someone apparently looked
      at my website dedicated to Fresca, a cat who
      was my companion for almost 20 years, who
      died in 1998.  This person sent me an Email
      from a forged address, that started off as though
      they were relating to the sadness of Fresca's death.
      Later in the Email, the person said some very
      nasty, ugly things.  Included in this Email was
      an attachment (picture) of a partially rotted,
      dead cat that had been run over in the road.

      My first reaction was to think that this was
      a very sick person, and a sort of horror at
      seeing the grotesque picture of the dead cat
      (roadkill) that was sent.

      Later on (last night) I was thinking about it,
      and I realized that the picture of the cat
      represented the suffering of the person who
      had sent the Email and picture.  The image
      of that poor, ravaged cat was the state of
      the sender, lost  and crying for help.  When
      I realized this, I felt a great compassion for
      this person who sent the Email and picture,
      whoever they are, and a great deal of love.
      Much moreso than the many who wrote to
      express "their condolences."  Condolences are
      appreciated, but a cry of suffering is seen
      and love rushes to respond.

      There is still the compassion.  For all beings
      who are suffering -- the cat who is run over
      in the road, the person who lashes out for
      seemingly no reason against the loss of
      another... the world is full of suffering and
      hurt, and the response of love to that is
      compassion.

      In contrast, the response of ego to suffering
      is anger, hatred and frustration.  If someone
      lashes out the ego defends itself by becoming
      angry and taking a 'vengeful' stance -- "You
      got me so I'm going to get you."  That's a
      continuation of the suffering.  The response
      of love is to see the real situation -- to see
      the reason why someone lashed out the way
      they did.

      That letter and picture was a learning
      experience that will never be forgotten.

      Bhadraiah:
      Thanks Tim, your idea of compassion tests the
      limits of compassion a  heart can have,
      because we have to look beyond the obvious.
      It helps  me understand how much I am lacking
      in compassion and what I can do  to get it
      back even a little.

      Now what about compassion for the ego?
      Why is everybody is beating on  this poor ego?
      Why does every philosopher or thinker or seeker
      insult, abuse and crucify this concept called ego?

      Ego or self concept is merely a tool that
      detects the situation when  we are thrown
      into this so-called waking state, and it helps
      us to find something to hang on to, gives us
      a helping hand, helps with  filling our stomach
      when we are hungry, takes care of the body and
      mind while we pursue the higher goals.. but
      why are we so unkind to this ego?

      And then, to add insult to injury, when we
      get our cherished liberation, we drop this
      ego like a disposable glove.

      Have some compassion for this ego, please..

      With love and compassion
      Bhadraiah

      Tim:
      There is nothing there to beat on -- because
      the ego is imagined to be here, things like
      insult and abuse are taken (and given).  As in
      my post on compassion, the first reaction to
      that nasty letter and picture of a dead cat
      was shock and horror.  That was an "egoistic"
      reaction.  Yet another potential reaction might
      be to try and track  down the sender, and
      get him or her kicked off the ISP, or even
      getting so angry as to wish the person
      who sent the letter was dead.

      If ego went far enough, and someone was
      upset enough at the "insult to dead loved
      ones," it could even occur that someone
      would try to track down the sender and kill
      them!

      What does that solve, what does that
      change, who does that help?

      > Ego or self concept is merely a tool that
      > detects the situation when we are thrown into
      > this so-called waking state, and it helps
      > us to  find something to hang on to, gives
      > us a helping hand, helps with filling our
      > stomach when we are hungry, takes care of
      > the body and mind while we pursue the higher
      > goals.. but why are we so unkind to this ego?

      How to be unkind to a concept?  Who is being
      unkind?  It depends also  on the definition of
      "ego."  You seem to equate it with thought --
      and thought is indeed a tool, used by nobody
      but operating "by  itself."  The idea "I am
      thinking" is the ego.

      It is this "I" which is the "snake in a rope."
      There is no snake there!

      > And then, to add insult to injury,
      > when we get our cherished  liberation, we
      > drop this ego like a disposable glove.

      Only the ego cherishes the idea of liberation.
      Only an idea can cherish an idea.

      There is no liberation or bondage.  Only the
      ideas of these, both of which the sense of
      ego clings.