ND Highlights for Saturday, 03/03/01 (part 2)

  • Beth352006@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2001
      A real sign

      Gloria:
      Seen driving past this motel/restaurant....

          Maids Wanted
      Pigs in the Blanket
      Why meditate?

      Cyber Dervish:

      Another extract from Metta Zetty's site.

      "A student approached his master with excitement,
      relating the "revelations" he had experienced. The
      guru replied, quietly, "Never mind. Just get back to
      your meditation, and they will go away." "

      So what is the meditation for in the first place and
      what need is there for further meditation?

      Tim:
      This means that spiritual experiences do not
      indicate any enlightenment.  They can be a sort
      of marker or goalpost along the way, but the trouble
      is people get attached to an experience or
      revelation and want to repeat it, or cling to it.

      In that way it interferes with further meditation,
      because as long as clinging or wanting to repeat an
      experience is happening, real meditation is blocked.

      Most Gurus will either react in the way the above Guru
      did, or  they'll say "OK, it is a sign of progress, but
      forget it and resume meditating as soon as possible,"
      depending on the particular Guru and how he interacts.
      The Emperor's new clothes

      Cyber Dervish:

      Any comments on this:

      I feel at times that I am enlightened, but at other
      times I just feel like the same old fearful, ego-centered
      putz.  ~ Reader [Metta Zetty's site]

      Not really related to above statement what about
      "the emperors new clothes" syndrome?

      Tim:
      Just a clue --

      An "I" never gets enlightened ...

      because "I" is a feeling of "centrality" or "false center" ...

      And "enlightenment" is lack of that particular contraction,

      Lack of the idea "I exist as a separate entity."

      So "feeling like I am enlightened" could mean anything,

      but by no means does it indicate "enlightenment."

      Namaste,

      Omkara

      Nike

      Mark:

      Hi Folks,

      speaking of nondual activism, this reminds me of the
      Lazlo Letters, butwith a bit more bite...

      Nike now lets you personalize your shoes by
      submitting a word or phrase which they will stitch
      onto your shoes, under the swoosh. So Jonah
      Peretti filled out the form and sent them $50 to stitch
      "sweatshop" onto his  shoes. Here's the responses
      he got... fun and games with Nike...

      From: "Personalize, NIKE iD" < nikeid_personalize
      @... mailto:nikeid_personalize@...
        To: "'Jonah H. Peretti'" < peretti@...
      mailto:peretti@...> >
        Subject: RE: Your NIKE iD order o16468000
      Your NIKE iD order was cancelled for one or more
      of the following reasons:

        1) Your Personal iD contains another party's
      trademark or otherintellectual property
        2) Your Personal iD contains the name of an athlete
      or team we do not have the legal right to use
        3) Your Personal iD was left blank. Did you
      not want any personalization?
        4) Your Personal iD contains profanity or
      inappropriate slang, and besides,your mother would
      slap us. If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with
      a new personalization please visit us again at
      www.nike.com  Thank you, NIKE iD

      From: "Jonah H. Peretti"
      <peretti@...>
      To: "Personalize, NIKE iD"
      <nikeid_personalize@...>

      Greetings,
      My order was canceled but my personal NIKE iD
      does not violate any of the  criteria outlined in your
      message. The Personal iD on my custom
      ZOOM XC running shoes was the word "sweatshop.
      "Sweatshop is not:
        1) another's party's trademark,
        2) the name of an athlete,
        3) blank, or
        4) profanity.
      I choose the iD because I wanted to remember the
      toil and labor of the children that made my shoes.
      Could you please ship them to me immediately.
      Thanks and Happy New Year,
      Jonah Peretti

      From: "Personalize, NIKE iD"
      <nikeid_personalize@...>
      To: "'Jonah H. Peretti'"
      <peretti@...>

      Dear NIKE iD Customer,
      Your NIKE iD order was cancelled because the iD
      you have chosen contains, as stated in the previous
      e-mail correspondence, "inappropriate slang". If you
      wish  to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new
      personalization please visit us again at nike.com
      Thank you, NIKE iD

      From: "Jonah H. Peretti"
      <peretti@...>
      To: "Personalize, NIKE iD"
      <nikeid_personalize@...>

      Dear NIKE iD,
        Thank you for your quick response to my inquiry
      about my custom ZOOM XC running shoes. Although
      I commend you for your prompt customer service,
      I disagree with the claim that my personal iD was
      inappropriate slang. After consulting Webster's
      Dictionary, I discovered that "sweatshop" is in  fact
      part of standard English, and not slang. The
      word means: "a shop or factoryin which workers are
      employed for long hours at low wages and  under
      unhealthy conditions" and its origin dates from 1892.
      So my personal iD does meet the criteria detailed
      in your first email. Your web site advertises that
      the NIKE iD program is "about freedom to choose
      and freedom to express who you are." I share Nike's
      love of freedom and personal expression. The site
      also says that "If you want it done right...build it
      yourself." I was thrilled to be able to build my own
      shoes, and my personal iD was offered as a small
      token of appreciation for the sweatshop workers
      poised to help me realize my vision. I hope that you
      will value my freedom of expression and reconsider
      your decision to reject my order.
      Thank you, Jonah Peretti

      From: "Personalize, NIKE iD"
      <nikeid_personalize@...>
      To: "'Jonah H. Peretti'" <peretti@...>

      Dear NIKE iD Customer,
      Regarding the rules for personalization it also states
      on the NIKE> iD web site that "Nike reserves the
      right to cancel any personal iD up to 24 hours after
      it has been submitted". In addition, it further explains:
      "While we honor most personal iDs, we cannot honor
      every one.  Some may be (or contain) other's
      trademarks, or the names of certain professional
      sports teams, athletes or celebrities that Nike does
      not have the right to do not want to place on our
      products. Unfortunately, at times this obliges us
      to decline personal iDs that may otherwise seem
      unobjectionable. In any event, we will let you know
      if we decline your personal iD, and we will offer you
      the chance to submit another." With these rules in
      mind, we cannot accept your order as submitted. If
      you wish to reorder your NIKE iD  product with a new
      personalization please visit us again at www.nike.com
      Thank you, NIKE iD

      From: "Jonah H. Peretti"
      <peretti@...>
      To: "Personalize, NIKE iD"
      <nikeid_personalize@...>
      Dear NIKE iD,
      Thank you for the time and energy you have spent
      on my request. I have decided to order the shoes
      with a different iD, but I would like to make
      one small request. Could you please send me
      a color snapshot of the ten-year-old Vietnamese
      girl who makes my shoes?
      Thanks, Jonah Peretti
      <no response>

       As one forwarder writes:
      ... this will now go round the world much farther
      and faster than any of the adverts they paid Michael
      Jordan more than the entire wage packet
      of all their sweatshop workers in the world to do...
      I normally avoid making a plea to pass on these things,
      but this time I say:  JUST DO IT

      Sarlo:
      Thanks for this little tale. This is the power of one.
      Just something

      Omkara-Tim:

      Mankind - Invocation
      --------------------

      Insomuch as the satisfaction of desires
      are as close to peace as some may get,
      As close to bliss as some may get,
      As close to understanding as some may get...

      May there be infinite compassion,
      Unbounded love,
      Unending patience --

      Insomuch as the satisfaction of desires
      are as close to peace as some may get,
      As close to bliss as some may get,
      As close to understanding as some may get...

      That I may aid to the fullest
      in the satisfaction of those small desires
      that dwell in the hearts of men and women.

      A song offered freely,
      A good wish offered gently,
      Financial aid offered selflessly,
      A gentle nudge offered with reverence.