Sunday, February 25

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2001
      ANDREW

      Wanting something doesn't necessarily mean you don't already
      have it.

      JAN (SEEKER)

      If Sri Nisargadatta was so advanced how come he still had the
      need to smoke? Isn't habit and need attachment? If a 'minor
      experience' destroyed my most powerful
      desire/passion/pastime/habit. I do not understand how others far
      advanced can still be attached to their habits.

      I do not understand how someone who has seen the 'light' could
      still be interested in candles and match sticks? love, seeker

      BHADRAIAH

      Friends

      I know this as fastest nonduality board on the earth. How is everyone
      doing? I see a new concept invented everyday, and you guys must have
      travelled to non-duality back and forth a hundred times over by now!
      I dont think I can keep pace but I will try.

      Smoking: The book says dharma is treating all living beings equal,
      and it means treating all living cells in the body equally. So it is
      OK to harm a few cells for world peace, but not other way round.
      Smoking is good for a few cells but bad for most others, so it
      avoidable. I did a lot of my research under influence of nicotine
      between 1982-90 and kicked it in 1990. Ofcourse not by self control
      but one day I put my fingers in the throat and found some hard things
      and thought they are cancers. Later the ENT doc told me the hard
      items are in everybody's throat. Effectively I kicked the habit out
      of ignorance and  fear. May be I shouldn't have? Those who smoke try
      it out.

      We have much bigger habits to kick than smoking. Smoking and other
      worldy habits are peanuts. More on this later

      Bye
      Bhadraiah

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      The simple and obvious response would be "because candles and
      sticks are "that" too"... In the same sense is a post I found
      long ago and for some "renouncers" could be shocking:

      Videhamukti is described in Chandogya Upanisad 8.12.3: "Thus
      does that serene being, arising from his last body, appear his
      own form, having come to the highest light by the grace of
      Supreme Person. The liberated soul moves about there laughing,
      playing and rejoicing, in the company of women, vehicles and
      other liberated souls." As Baladeva Vidyabhusana explains in his
      Govinda-bhasya commentary on Vedanta-sutra, the liberated souls
      are in threefold union with the Lord: 1) they are in the
      spiritual realm of God, which is not different from God Himself;
      2) by their constant meditation upon Him, God is ever-within
      their souls, and 3) they are in union of love with the personal
      form of God that appears before them. From this state, the
      concluding code of Vedanta-sutra declares, anavrittih sabdat,
      anavrittih sabdat, "There is no return (to the material world).
      Verily there is no return, for the Vedas so declare."

      Nothing to add to the above quote :)

      HARSHA

      Dear Seeker,

      Ask any and all questions. That is the mark of a True Seeker. Do
      not be intimidated by criticism or counter questions, but
      reflect on them or ignore them as your inclination.

      When we are thirsty for the Truth, we are not interested in our
      image. We are interested in the Truth! Ask your questions. The
      asking itself is a movement of energy. Something inside is
      shaping these questions. Let it have free reign. Ask your
      questions honestly and the pattern of your path will start to
      emerge. You are on the right track.

      DAN BERKOW

      Hi Harsha!

      I like the sound of what you say here.

      If I'm concerned with my image, or your image,
         or whether someone approves or disapproves
         of my image, of what image I can use to conceive
         of truth -- then all I've got, after all, is that image
         and the attempt to maintain it.

      I like the sound of the "First Commandment" as
         well -- make unto me no image -- (regardless
         that much of the rest of the book provided
         images -- I suppose each hears what can
         be heard at that time ...)

      So ... resonations here ...
      Ask honestly and deeply, and
         then the asking itself is opening,
         and with opening, what more
         needs to be asked or stated?

      Unknowable, imperceivable,
         unstated this is ;-)

      Never to be registered,
         never to be regurgitated ...

      So relax and open,
         regardless of all the stating,
         knowing, experiencing,
         perceiving that is being provided
         and regurgitated ;-) ...

      ANDREW MACNAB

      I don't know either, nor care particularly. N. said something
      like why not let the body have what it wants? He was an
      uneducated guy, living in an earlier time, maybe he didn't know
      how harmful it was. Maybe he wasn't "so advanced", but just an
      ordinary guy who happened to have discovered he true nature and
      tell about it.

      He was him, I'm me, you're you, the point is to be authentic and
      original as oneself. Take whatever's helpful, discard the rest.

      WHITE WOLF

      ...nisargaddatta was a great student who loved his teacher with
      true devotion...perhaps you have already run further up the
      mountain than he was able...do not concern yourself with the
      mote in another's eye before removing the beam in your own...ask
      youself instead...do i love the Beloved even unto the death of
      desire itself?....as a buttefly is attracted into the
      flame...allow your love for the Beloved to burn you into
      ashes...go forward and embrace the death of self and so return
      to Self...love arose to a great height and reached a great depth
      nisargaddatta...how much greater will love arise in you now that
      he has gone before us and prepared the way for us...we are
      called to an even higher love than his...he is a spiritual
      ancestor upon whose shoulders we stand so that we can reach just
      a little higher...

      MATTHEW FILES

      i wouldn't assume that he had a need, habit or attachment in
      regards to smoking. ... try giving it a few years till you draw
      a firm conclusion as to what that experience effected. It may
      not be what it seems right now. ... one way to look at it is
      that if certain habits get in the way of ones relationship to
      the divine then they go. If not then they stay. Not our choice
      either way. But it does become obvious over time, which are
      which.

      JERRY

      What knowledge have you not borrowed from someone else? What do
      you know? What do you own? What do you trust? Where do you turn
      when nothing makes sense?

      JAMES TRAVERSE

      Hi Folks,

      I'm created a new web page 'The Art of Yoga' and I
      welcome your comments. You can use either the email link or
      guestbook at my web page to contact me.

      Thanks, James

      http://yogadoesyou.com/Art%20of%20Yoga.htm

      If this link does not work please go to -
      http://www.yogadoesyou.com and select 'The Art of Yoga' link
      from there.

      GREG GOODE

      Hi Sarlo, Harsha, Omkara,

      Thanks for the nice affirmation yourselves! Yes, affirmation and
      denial are two sides of the same coin. It's a coin. Thanks and
      no-thanks are another coin. There are lots of coins. So what
      else is new? (said in a New York accent) :-)

      I really do think Sarlo's list is a unique one. I signed up for
      it later the same day he announced it. It's about teachers and
      mostly that; a place for folks to be as skeptical and
      questioning and cautious and critical as they want to be. Many
      people have questions about this and that teacher. Is this one
      enlightened? Is that one from the Papaji school? Is there sexual
      or financial or psychological abuse in Swami Chickentikkananda's
      ashram? So in addition to Sarlo's wide acquaintance with the
      spiritual supermarket, once the list has lots of subscribers,
      there will be more and more helpful reports from the field.

      One thing - are gurus less popular now than, say, 5 years ago?
      Or more?

      Love to all,

      --Greg

      DAKINI

      <speechless>

      "those who say, don't know. Those who know, don't say." ;-)
      "He who speaks does not know. He who knows does not speak." -
      Lao Tsu

      what really facilitates communication is our ability to listen.

      Speak, speak! ;-)

      <listening...>