Tuesday, February 20

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2001
      only one thing
      not higher or lower
      niether real nor unreal
      no bliss and no end to bliss

      only one thing
      no one can discover it
      there is no end to discovering it
      no dream no end of dreaming

      only one thing
      no understanding no end to understanding
      it is not here nor is it there
      it does not exist nor does it not exist
      it cannot be found here
      here is the only place to find it

      only one thing
      you are not it
      you are only it
      know this and be free

      --Michael Read

      Another pass from Hesse's Siddhartha, translated by Sherab
      Chodzin Kohn (contributed by John Metzger)

      Siddhartha listened. He was now all listener, completely one
      with listening, completely empty, completely receptive. He felt
      now that he had completed his learning of how to listen. He had
      often heard these things before, these many voices in the river,
      but today he heard it in a new way. Now he no longer
      distinguished the many voices, the happy from the grieving, the
      childlike from the manly. They were all part of each
      other--longing laments, the laughter of the wise, cries of
      anger, and the moans of the dying--all were one, all were
      interwoven and linked, intertwined in a thousand ways. And
      everything together, all the voices, all the goals, all the
      striving, all the suffering, all the pleasure--everything
      together was the river of what is, the music of life. And when
      Siddhartha listened attentively to the thousandfold song of the
      river, when he did not fasten on the suffering or the laughing,
      when he did not attach his mind ! to any one voice and become
      involved in it with his ego--when he listened to all of them,
      the whole, when he perceived the unity, then the great song of a
      thousand voices formed one single word: OM, perfection.

      Jakusho Kwong Roshi tells this story; A person walked in to
      dokusan [an interview with the teacher which may be used to test
      the student] and said to me "i am nothing". I took my stick and
      hit him and the student yelped, "ouch!". I said "what was
      that?". Another time a person came in and said "i'm dead". I hit
      him with my stick and he screamed. So i said "what's that? It's
      your body". Then you have a dialogue. (contributed by Matthew)

      I think some people are happy there's a list where they can
      throw out these questions and explore, brainstorm outloud about
      mind states (or world states) from a (theoretical anyway)
      nondual perspective -- and get plenty of unabashed
      testosterone-coated competitive reactions! I used to be like
      that myself, even though I'm a girl, I must be mellowing or
      something! Honestly, it's a great service/forum to provide.

      Myself, I'm a veteran of the human potential movement and what I
      affectionately (and jocularly) refer to as the 'enlightenment
      wars'. I was initially suprised how purely polemical and
      adversarial some of the banter is at NDS ... I'm very strong on
      philosophy and having a good theoretical understanding (and very
      analytical for an XX!). In my case the 'top of the heap'
      skillful means I've encountered is dzogchen (+ mahamudra +
      vajrayana -- it helps to plough the ground). I did many years of
      yogic practice and some vedanta before that (I was quite
      interested in the recent thread on Yogi Bhajan -- or was that at
      HarshaSatsangh? ... it all runs together for me) and many years
      of transpersonal/archetypal/mainstream/integral psychology study
      and work. Recently I have also become interested in Heigegger,
      ontology and applied linguistics (a branch of philosophy) --
      there's a critically important piece in how we TALK about this
      'enlightenment' or 'realization' or essential mind nature that
      is related to how we can work with conceptual mind (relative or
      'mistaken' mind) which is, after all, the only place most people
      can start and what most of us are doing with mind 99% of the
      time anyway. For me, getting EXPERIENTIAL access to emptiness or
      spacious nature of mind and phenomena via language/concept
      REALLY surprised me -- in my case, as I say, the ground had
      indeed been ploughed from many years with various meditative and
      yogic practices, but the method of having interlocking
      conversations that create huge shifts in perception (like a
      modern day version of the koan phenomenon/satori) -- and then --
      VHhhhooooooorrrmm! -- the sky opens up ... is intriguing. It's
      quite reproducible and it's ontological/experiential. I directed
      a morsel of this to Jan in my comments about the
      past/present/future. I'm finding this is a KEY access to
      (western educated people's) being able to experience the
      postconceptual, ie experiencing the quintessential empty
      spacious nature of mind and all experience/phenomena in general
      -- the ground of being, the unchanging background, the mirror.

      So that's what I'm up to, Jerry, and that's a bit of the
      collection of influences, history and theoretical understanding
      and MOST importantly **experience** that's behind my response to
      Jan, and (hopefully gentle) exhortation to Jan/et al to begin
      one's own investigation into the nature of mind. I don't wanna
      be primarily a talkin dharma head; what I DO deeply desire is to
      be at least fully stabilized in realization in this body in this
      lifetime. Samatha or "calm-abiding 101" -- every one has a mind
      (well most of us!) --and that's THE place to start
      investigating. It's been a long and winding road for me; if
      people starting out can be given a refined approach with a few
      less sharp turns and plummeting chasms, that is good. On the
      other hand, the kids have to acquire their own experience (no, I
      won't even use the word 'mistakes' here) -- G-d knows I did.
      Will you just listen to me?! -- I sound like the 4 Million Year
      Old Women, I'm only 44.

      Anyhoo, Jerry, c'est moi, in part. Just for you, as I prefer to
      lurk/witness at the periphery of the mandala, soaring and
      hovering bare-ass naked in the sky. Somebody's got to witness,
      and you can bet it impacts on the energy of the collective
      situation. I'm Watching and, Yes, I am Listening. Every once in
      a while I may swoop in and drop a pearl, but it may pass
      unnoticed. Come spring, the flowers will bloom and the grass
      will be green. Glad some one may be ... listening, aware.

      Thanks for letting me ramble on so ... and thanks again for the
      space and hosting. I linked over to Amber's site (from NDS) --
      great collection of writings there! And I love the pictures of
      you and wife and baby! Here's dakini's face to go with my
      yaddy-yaddy-yadda ... note the cute little buddhini smirk!

      All the best to you, and wishing you wisdom, clarity and

      Thanks much for sharing this Wim. It is always interesting to
      know what people are eating, especially people who are into the
      mystical sciences. Your rational for letting the food rot a
      little before you partake of it is quite interesting. Perhaps
      Jan will comment on it. I will pass this on to NDS as well for
      their benefit. Thanks again.

      Love to all Harsha

      Dear Harsha et al,

      A few posts ago you (urged on by someone else) asked about what
      some of us have for breakfast.

      Alternating daily, I eat either a fruit salad or cream of wheat
      both prepared in my own inimitable :-) way.

      The fruit salad I prepare the night before. I cut four of five
      pieces of fruit (sometimes the same, sometimes a varied
      selection) into 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks, I add a bit of honey or
      brown sugar and mix it all vigorously in a bowl so that the
      juices come free. I let this sit at room temperature on the
      counter. Next morning, after this fruit mix started its own
      predigestive processes (rotting) with its own enzyme precursors
      and increased enzyme content, I eat this mix with yoghurt (no
      grains or nuts added) over a period of an hour. The idea is that
      the enzymes and intestinal flora increase and help us digest
      whatever our intake is for the rest of the day.

      If you let this fruit / yoghurt mix stand for a couple of days
      it makes a wonderful alcoholic concoction, a temptation for
      Jerry, Zen and Tibetan teachers or masters (and people like
      Trungpa Rinpoche or Alan Watts, all passed away in real or
      pseudo satorical bliss. (No not you, Jerry.)

      The cream of wheat I make from (weekly home ground) organic
      whole wheat. I boil about two cups of water, I add brown sugar
      (which proved to be important for a better overall carbohydrate
      breakdown) and I whisk in 3/4 of a cup of the finely ground
      wheat. Other grain products are as good, but for me wheat does
      the job. While whisking this in, the mass becomes quite sticky
      which is good. I let this cool off for some five minutes then I
      mix in three capsules of a very good brand of full spectrum
      digestive enzymes. Lo and behold... the goo becomes liquid and
      is very drinkable and nutritional. Also it will not add body fat
      as it gets all turned into energy and... a soft bowel. The
      digestive enzymes, just like industrial enzymes also clean the
      gut, putrification of undigested food and therefore slow
      toxification ceases. I add milk when I feel like it, have not
      figured out yet why, I think I am still balancing the calcium /
      magnesium levels in my body.

      The magnesium / calcium, potassium / sodium, sulphur /
      phosphorus, carbon / nitrogen proportions of this type of meal
      are very good and their ratios are closest to the early diet of
      us humans. BTW, eating a large variety of nuts on a daily basis
      is also extremely important and we should not forget sea food or
      sea weeds like nori, dulse or kelp.

      I have not fully figured out yet what component balances iodine.
      I have a feeling that it is chlorine... Yep... it is. (Wowee!)

      Here is another reason for us using whole - not white or refined
      - seasalt: the Celtic grey type.

      I test all this on myself (have been doing this for some five
      years now) and note my reactions according to seven integrated
      aspects of being: physical, creative, volitional, emotional,
      professional, intellectual / inspirational, spiritual - the
      energy center or chakra approach.

      The magnesium, sodium, sulphur, iodine, carbon contents help us
      to re-normalize ourselves, to be more patient, compassionate and
      loving inwardly as well as outwardly. Our muscular stresses
      decrease by improving our cellular response and exchange
      mechanisms at the cell wall and nerve synapse interfaces.

      (Am looking for two more mineral pairs that influence the brow
      and crown energy centers.)

      We will find ourselves dynamically energetic, not frantically or
      nervously. Anxiety episodes get replaced by increasing moments
      of original bliss recovery and well-being.

      Love, Wim

      Wayne mentioned about how the people that hang around Ramesh,
      how they typically say, "oh no, I'm not seeking, oh no, no, not
      me!" :-) And Wayne says, who are you kidding, what the hell are
      you doing here then and in Bombay of all places? :-)

      I read Jonathan Livingstone Seagull when it came out and I
      recognized its power in freedom, solitude, and individuality. I
      liked it a lot. I should read it again. Also, I hear the movie
      was very good, with songs by Neil Diamond.

      Speaking of Neil Diamond, it takes me back to 1970, sitting on
      the couch with some girl, listening to a Neil Diamond album. We
      were young, full of promise and hope for the future. Fast
      forward 30 years. I'm sitting on the couch with some girl,
      listening to Neil Diamond's Greatest Hits CD. We're young, full
      of promise and hope for the future.

      (Some guy with the key to the city comes in and goes to the

      "Remember, Jonathan, heaven isn't a place or a time, because
      place and time are so very meaningless. Heaven is..."

      Jonathan Livingstone Salongull

      Radiance, no thing.
      Here (every(w)here) is.

      Midget On Third Steet

      I rolled up my windows and locked them
      I saw a midget talking to a tall man
      outside a homeless shelter
      Thick black glasses
      Teeth crooked and too big
      he turned toward my car as it idled at the light
      then pulled a small book from his sack
      pants rolled up at his ankles,white
      institutional shoes
      no laces

      the midget opened the book and put it front of
      the tall man
      the man laughed and then
      touched the midget's arm

      I unlocked my window and rolled it down

      --Julieanne Himelstein

      Ramana wrote devotional texts regarding the mount Arunachula. To
      call that dualistic not only is besides the point, it probably
      signifies a blind spot for it... Sankara, Jnaneshwar, to mention
      two others, did write devotional texts too... And because
      enlightenment is default, there have been Western mystics, not
      mentioning it at all... Why should they? Parrots, lizards,
      pebbles and rocks, all enlightened... Only "civilized" man is
      thinking (s)he isn't... ... It cannot be stated enough: only a
      "complete" human being can "attain" nirvana/moksha and
      "completeness" entails devotion...

      actually what the ego/mind wants is to survive, to remain in
      control of the organism, at any cost. It doesn't care about
      effort or no effort. So ego can quite easily (and does) take
      anything and use it to its own end (its survival). Which means
      one can totally wake up to truth, to nondual realization and
      still be run by ego, but ego will have you believing, "knowing"
      even, in your heart of hearts that all striving, seeking,
      desiring has fallen away. It happens all the time.

      Consciousness has meaning as a word because of
      whatever isn't consciousness that allows a contrast,
      so that the qualities associated with the word are apparent.

      As this is noticed, and discussed, there is a tendency
      in many discourses in many places,
      to talk about something all-encompassing, usually capitalized,
      such as love, consciousness, god, self, nothingness, the void.
      Such ways of pointing always have the limitation of pointing:
      as if to something, as if to a quality or a non-quality.
      Also inferred in such
      discourse is someone to whom that is being pointed out.

      Often, is resorted to statements like, 'it is "who you are"
      to which is being pointed' ... and still the inference is
      of a being that can be understood as one's own being,
      for the idea of a "who" involves the idea of something
      or someone other than, or able to be established
      as a believing self, other than this "who" -- including
      the idea then of something to
      be realized, and the idea of something that is
      nonrealization, or someone in a state of nonrealization.

      It can be noticed that with any pointing, there is the pointer
      and that to which is pointed. With all statements about
      an all-encompassing state or being, there are the limitations
      of postulating an absolute, using relative means. So,
      the pointing often says, "but the word is not the thing,
      what is said isn't the way it is" ...

      What can be noticed clearly is that *this* quality is known in
      reference to *that*, different quality. The tendency to discuss
      an all-encompassing reality is to "remedy" what is understood
      as some kind of dilemma involved with lacking of awareness of
      the all-encompassing.