Monday February 19th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2001
      I rather like Herman Hesse's "Siddhartha."  One of the great
      allegorical novels of the 20th century imo.

      While on the subject, I really like Jonathan Livingston Seagull
      (Richard Bach) as well.  Lots of 'nondual pointers', and a fun
      story.  Not a well-understood story.

      Cheers,

      Omkara

      Lately I've been swimming a bit. I've noticed I could stay in the deep end
      of the pool and tread water. Or I could go to the shallow end and stand up!
      I've noticed that the shallow end is a totally different experience. When I
      go to the shallow end, I get to give up my practice of treading water. I
      enter a more fundamental practice.

      Yes, a person has to get tired of treading water, and come to the shallow
      end, to the whole new experience. I would like to think that NDS is the
      shallow end of the pool.

      Jerry

      Doc Hobbes:

      The difficulty of a divided Godhead.

      Three people.
      Two want a divided kingdom.
      One wants a united kingdom.
      Where is the division?

      --
      Shaking off the snow
      a bear and two opened eyes

              Hi Doc,
                  I like the way the poem answers the question. It's elegant!

              James

      Jai Ram:

      'how fortunate are you and i
      we who have wandered down from fragrant mountains
      of eternal now
      to frolic in such mysteries
      as birth and death....
      for ever and a day
      or maybe even more...'

      dizzy...dizzy...

      Dear Lists,

      Might there be a common theme all these folks are trying to point out?

      "Realization is nothing to be gained afresh; it is already there. All that
      is necessary is to get rid of the thought 'I have not realized.'"
      -- Sri Ramana Maharshi

      "If you seek for freedom, you cannot find it. Absolute freedom itself is
      necessary before you can acquire absolute freedom. That is our practice."
      -- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi, from "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind"

      "Let this truth go as deep in you as possible: that life is already here,
      arrived. You are standing on the goal. Don't ask about the path."
      -- Osho

      "A man who is seeking for realisation is not only going round searching for
      his spectacles without realising that they are on his nose all the time,
      but also were he not actually looking through them he would not be able to
      see what he is looking for!"
      -- Wei Wu Wei

      "Instead of searching for what you do not have, find out what it is that you
      have never lost."
      -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "Knowledge of God is not a future event but an eternal fact of being.
      There is not past, present and future for it.  It is eternity itself.  It
      is here and now."
      -- Swami Krishnananda

      "Playfully, you hid from me.  All day I looked.  Then I discovered I was
      you, and the celebration of That began."
      -- Lalla

      "As it rises so it falls.  Make effort and it rises.  Stop effort and it
      falls.  Make the choice!  Stay as simple natural Being without thought or
      doership."
      -- Papaji

      "We think that there is something hiding our reality and that it must be
      destroyed before the reality is gained.   It is ridiculous.  A day will dawn
      when you will yourself laugh at your past efforts.  That which will be on
      the day you laugh is also here and now."
      -- Sri Ramana Maharshi

      "Yet, paradoxically, it's all we really are! We are already fully
      Self-realized Beings. How this is possible is actually quite simple. You
      see, it's only our fantastic Mind that systematically, moment-to-moment,
      talks us out of it!"
      -- F. Maiello

      "We want money, or more sex or a bigger house or a better position, and
      finally we think we've gone beyond all that, because now we want
      enlightenment. It's just another ambition.  It's no different from wanting
      any of the rest of it.
      It's just another egoic dream. If you let go of that, things are as they are."
      -- Arjuna

      "When Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche, a great (though controversial) Tibetan
      master, first came to this country, he was renowned for always saying, when
      asked the meaning of Vajrayana, "There is only Ati." In other words, there
      is only the enlightened mind wherever you look. The ego, samsara, maya and
      illusion-all of them do not have to be gotten rid of, because none of them
      actually exist: There is only Ati, there is only Spirit, there is only God,
      there is only nondual Consciousness anywhere in existence."
      -- Ken Wilbur

      "If you think you are free, You are free. If you think you are bound, You
      are bound.  For the saying is true: You are what you think."
      -- Ashtavakra Gita

      "One may seek a teacher or spiritual path, but such will only provide more
      sensation, thought, and experience.  One may seek to let go, but this
      activity will always depend on there being something to let go."
      -- Dan Berkow

      "This Grace can never be the result of a long history of spiritual
      practices or sadhanas, or following strict rules of conduct or does and
      don'ts. That is usually what strengthens the lie of an individual wanting
      enlightenment."
      -- Carlos Lopez

      "THERE IS NO NEED FOR MORE WORDS.  JUST BE QUIET, TOTALLY ACCEPT WHATEVER
      ARISES AND THE UNIVERSE WILL TAKE CARE OF THE REST.  IF YOU THINK THIS IS
      TOO SIMPLE, YOU ARE NOT BEING QUIET NOR ACCEPTING THAT WHICH ARISES."
      -- Unknown

      "There is nothing that is to be learned. it is more of a process of letting
      go... you do not gain anything... how can you gain what has always been and
      will always be Reality...."
      -- Ganga Karmokar

      "Notice how painful it is, to constantly be wanting, wanting. This is our
      suffering."
      -- Jim Gilman

      "There is not point in worry or wonder about worse or better spiritual
      conditions, although that game is available. You will not be able to rise
      above your present vibration level to stay until you love the way you are
      now."
      -- Thaddeus Golas

      "The very heart of Satsang is the revelation of that which is already and
      always eternally silent and everpresent."
      -- Hanuman

      "Goals, especially the highest and finest, work like over valued ideas, the
      roots of delusion that nourish great canopies of sheltering paranoia, these
      spreading ideas of size and import which characterize positive goals. Such
      belief in an overriding idea about one's purpose in life turns out to be
      the very thing which blocks the way and may result in destructiveness."
      -- Pat Hawk

      "In my sadhana I realized, it's not what I do but what I stop doing that
      matters. There was nothing to be changed but simply my attitude, which
      required no conscious efforts but simple Awareness."
      -- Jinendra Swami

      "Do not strive for spirituality. If you do, you will block it. It will be
      prevented from coming into your life. That is the most difficult thing for
      most people to learn, not to get in their own way. It is already yours. It
      has always been so. Relax, be still, and you will see what I mean. It has
      never left you."
      -- Raymond Karczewski

      "It is conditioned thinking that says 'But we don't know that', because we
      are fully Aware of it. It is because of the conditioned thinking that we do
      not Realize that we are Aware of it. And so we *go* on *quests* try to
      'Discover it for myself', all the time under the auspices of our
      conditioned thinking. So it is a conditioned quest and a conditioned
      discovery."
      -- E.J. Light

      "A friend and teacher said to me: 'At some point you must decide that you
      are finished. Then if you ever catch yourself in the bad habit of trying to
      get finished just stop it and keep quiet in the moment.'"
      -- Keith Nightingale

      "If you feel that you're not That, that's a thought. If you didn't have
      that thought where would you be? If you didn't have the thought that you
      are not realized, where would you be? What would your state be?"
      -- A. Ramana

      "Oddly enough, it's the very wanting of enlightenment that pushes it away."
      -- Andy Rymer

      "To me now, systems of spirituality seem like analogues of those dreams
      which prevent waking up (for example, to wet a thirsty throat or relieve
      the bladder) by creating a never- ending nocturnal drama of moving towards
      the desired goal, encountering and overcoming obstacle after obstacle along
      the way, but never actually arriving."
      -- John Wren-Lewis