Rest of: Saturday, 02/17/01 Highlights

  • Beth352006@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2001
      Oops I got too long for aol I guess...this is the rest, with a repeat of the
      last paragraph on the first highlights sent:

      Tim:
      The "raging against the injustice" is in fact a worse problem than
      the injustice itself, because it is adding to suffering, and creates
      yet one more suffering being (you).  Look into this.  Instead of
      looking for solutions, take a good look at the problem.

      The problem is not the circumstances, but with your thoughts in
      disarray from their effects, your ability to help is greatly
      reduced.  Who can help in a state of emotional turmoil?  Peace starts
      right here, right now with you.  You can start the healing, but you
      have to be in a position to do so, and that means freedom from the
      problems most of the rest of humanity is facing.  It isn't selfish to
      want peace, because peace begins "one person at a time."

      The so-called 'mystical realizations' are phoney -- forget what you
      may have heard.  The 'goal' is to get 'you' out of your own way, if
      you see what I mean?  "Nonduality" is intensely practical.

      Maybe it will involve an acceptance (not necessarily fatalistic, but
      it could seem so initially) that there is nothing more you can do...
      that the world is as it is because human society is inherently
      diseased.  To give up utterly (surrender) has unexpected "benefits,"
      because if you stop seeking solutions, the problems clarify
      themselves.  That might be a place to start.
      -------------------------------
      Tim quotes Bruce Morgen:

      "The past is dead"

      The past is dead, the future is imaginary, the one and only abode of
      the truly sacred is the eternal now moment. The recurring cry of the
      charlatan and the hoodwinked is "wait and see."

      The fact is that the future is intrinsically unknown, and it is the
      nature of thought to attempt to predict it -- but what does thought
      have to work with in its attempt to forecast the coming years,
      months, days, hours, or even minutes? The answer is that thought can
      only imagine the future from knowledge, which is information acquired
      in the past, and therefore, in the words of the sentencing
      jurist, "dead, dead, dead."

      Thought, manifesting as ego, is a survival tool by nature and thus
      fears its own extinction. Because the future is inherently unknown,
      the thought-full consciousness cannot face that which contains the
      very real possiblity of that dreaded ego-death. It marshals all its
      resources, comprising knowledge, and replaces the fearful unknown
      with the resulting concocted "future."

      Thus does ego imagine its way into the illusion of psychological
      security, and in the process preclude the exclusively in-the-moment
      advent of the truly sacred, which theists call "God." That is also
      why people like Benjamin Creme, who encourage future-fixated
      consciousness aka "wishful thinking," are, by their actions and
      announced intentions, clearly opposed to the living, actual "God!"

      ... Bruce Morgen
      ---------------------------------
      Tim/Seeker:

      >The so-called 'mystical realizations' are phoney -- forget what you
      >may have heard.  The 'goal' is to get 'you' out of your own way, if
      >you see what I mean?  "Nonduality" is intensely practical.

      Dear Omkara,
      I don't know what you mean by 'mystical realizations'.
      Less than two months ago I was a hard core agnostic! If not for a 'mystical
       experience' which completely changed my way of thinking I would not be on
       this list. Here is what I wanted to post before but did not have the guts to
      do so.

      >A month or so ago I had a mystical experience, while staring at my
      >computer screen, deep in thought about something I had read. I do >not
      remember now what exactly happened!

      >All I know is that my life changed completely after that. The next day >or
      two I felt incredibly happy. I remember a couple of days after that
      >experience somebody damaged my property and I could not get even >a little
      angry or concerned! My neighbours watched in disbelief as >they were
      expecting an angry outburst! The most radical shift?... My >sex life... from
      over indulgence to zero indulgence! [Good bye to all >those sex sites!]

      >Now, every waking moment that I am free and am not too tired I am >devoting
      to the study of 'mysticism', 'gnosis', non-duality, whatever. >Can somebody
      please direct me to websites where I can read others >mystical experiences.
      [So that I can understand mine better]. I would >be delighted if anyone can
      share their mystical experiences or give me >advise as to what to do next.

      >[By the way, I found Terry Murphys articles about Enlightenment and
      >Mindfulness on the Allspirit website very useful. Which is how I found >my
      way to this group.]

      ------------------------------
      The Ultimate Duality:

      Dusty:
      Hi tmurphy and everyone else,

      part of quote from tmurphy's last post:
      >transcending every possible conceptualization and objectification.

      I enjoyed the quote.  I am wondering if it is possible to define and
      then give a specific example of just what it means to transcend a
      concept -- then to do the same thing for an object?

      Tim:

      To transcend a concept is simply to see it as concept, rather than
      some "hard wired reality" or fact.

      No "point of view" is any more factual than any other.  If anyone
      tries to tell you differently, they have an agenda or ulterior
      motive, and are to be distrusted immediately -- especially if someone
      tries to put over the idea they know more than you do or are "more
      enlightened than you are," which is absolute crap.  Nobody has a
      stranglehold on "the one right view."

      Concepts are inherently dualistic, because there's always
      an "anticoncept."  And all concepts are based on some arbitrary
      situation, time period, historical location, ad infinitum.

      All thinking and thought is based on concept.  As for object, a
      subject is required to know an object.  Subject and object both being
      concepts, they are not based on anything "solid" or "real" but only
      based on thought, which is constantly changing.

      If you want a specific example, here's a concept: "I am a good
      person."  One moment I may feel this way, then this perception is
      dashed when something occurs that I feel now makes me "a bad
      person."  If something later occurs to fix it, now "I am a good
      person" again.  Transcending this, see only that this perception
      depends entirely on circumstance, and "self-image" changes not only
      from year to year but even from day to day and hour to hour.

      End: