Digest, July 28

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29 9:57 PM
      Here is the Nondual Digest for Wednesday, July 28. I've
      included the Digest as a Word file. Thanks Gene for offering
      help with the staircase effect, the problem of getting
      uneven lines in email. I tried what I could, but to no
      avail. I downloaded the program you mentioned, but it
      wouldn't work unless I registered it for 20 bucks.

      For now I'll go with the Word attachment and perhaps add
      these Digests to a web page, which would be a third way of
      accessing them.

      ---Jerry

      EGO

      Kristie on Ego:

      The ego is not who we are, it is what we are: it is the what
      we have created
      as a buffer...to experiencing awareness because awareness is
      the absence of
      the ego...the buffer is what we create through a life time
      of experience,
      perceptions, analysis and sensation....the body is the
      vessel that contains
      the ego....the body is its ally....between the two are
      created the
      tautologies of our culture...from it rises the strange
      belief that the body
      itself can create...such as illness, depression, pain etc...

      The ego is a device that brings learning to us and keeps
      learning from
      us...it's allegiance is to pleasure and pain, not for their
      own sake, but to
      keep us from Awareness which is the realization of how
      unnecessary this mode
      of experiencing ouselves is.

      Awareness is the recognition of present perfection; that all
      things are as
      they need to be...without analysis....without
      understanding...with perfect
      faith and infinite patience...that It is perfect...this is
      non-duality in
      its essence...

      We all experience awareness, even the uninitiated in the
      practice of
      spiritual disciplines and belief systems, it is our true
      nature and arises
      spontaneously and naturally....unless the ego gets in the
      way....the mind
      can serve the ego or it can serve awareness...it is a
      choice...

      The ego is adversarial in nature and loves to divide things
      up and inspect
      things for the imperfection and differences. Awareness knows
      only sameness.
      Sameness is what we are....the recognition and acceptance of
      sameness is
      love...love is the uninhibited joining of ourselves with
      another person,
      place, thing, idea.....ego is uninhibited differentiation
      and results
      uniformly in fear....

      Petros on Ego

      It's annoying as all hell, but I *still* don't know what the
      ego is. Has
      anyone really answered the question here yet? Personally
      it seemed that
      Richard Hayes' answer (from the Buddha-L list) was the best
      so far. I lean
      toward his Buddhist view that the word really has no
      specific referent at
      all and is best done away with. Notice he didn't say, do
      away with the
      'ego,' he just said do away with the 'concept of ego.'
      Which shouldn't be
      too hard, since no one has a satisfactory definition
      anyway. Modern
      psychology has a workable definition of 'ego,' of course,
      but paradoxically
      there is no ideal of 'killing' the ego or 'transcending' it
      in psychology.
      If anything, psychologists seem to believe that a weak or
      insecure ego sense
      is the source of most neuroses and psychoses.

      I am reminded of Krishnamurti's description (not definition)
      of ego as being
      that which you identify with. He used the illustration of
      someone who is
      very attached to their beautiful home furniture and is
      always cleaing it,
      polishing it, etc. He said, "Then you ARE the furniture.
      Literally. It
      goes, you go." That got a laugh out of the audience. It's
      true, we are
      what we identify with.

      I'm sure we've all had the experience of taking one's car to
      the mechanic
      and discussing some problem with it. The conversation
      usually goes
      something like this:

      "Well, I think my transmission is having problems."
      "Are you sure it's your transmission? It might just be your
      muffler."
      "No, I had my muffler fixed the other month. It could be the
      bearings."
      "We better have a look at your bearings."
      "Yes, you see I was in a little accident last week. Some
      idiot hit me in the
      rear end. He wasn't even looking where he was going!"
      Etc., etc.

      We hardly notice that throughout the whole conversation, the
      word "car" is
      not used once! It's as if one is talking to the doctor about
      some problem
      with one's own body, not the car's. It is much rarer to
      speak this way
      about one's house, for instance.

      It is possible to objectify one's car if one works at it
      deliberately and
      makes a habit out of it, and it is also possible to
      objectify the body too,
      though the results are much less socially accepted. People
      tend to look at
      you strangely if you start saying things like, "This head
      has a migraine. I
      think the body inherited it from its parents." Being good
      little
      nondualists, of course, we don't mind, right . . . ?

      I would thus tend to describe ego as a process or habit of
      identification
      with body, mind, objects, and such. To be more aware of
      this process taking
      place is to be more or less 'realized.' To really recognize
      that there is
      no 'one' behind the process, that it is just a natural flow
      of attention, is
      an important part of 'realization' by my understanding.

      Tomas on Ego:

      I guess I think of ego as a security seeking function. This
      security seeking
      is shaped by the pains and pleasures, the rejections and
      acceptences, the
      threats and promises that have been established in memory
      (all these being
      shaped by the envirenment from which the particular body
      manifested)

      At a certain level, seeking is so fixated on the
      excuse-objects(the objects
      which is accepted as the needed excuse to let go) that there
      is little space
      to investigate the true nature of the letting go process.

      there seems to be a process whereby this seeking comes to
      terms with it's
      own nature and this may be said to be an increase in the
      space of inquiry,
      honesty, investigation, peace, letting go the hold on
      knowing

      so in this process, the excuse-objects are made gradually
      more and more
      transparent- meaning that there is an increased
      responsibility for one's own
      projections of "excuse" onto whatever objects

      One is gradually taking more and more, deeper and deeper
      responsibility or
      ownership of all excuses (another way of saying this is the
      letting go of
      "victimhood") and of the letting go process itself

      In the early part of this process one may talk about One's
      growing ability
      to recognize what is an excuse object (retrospectively
      understood to be an
      "excuse object"). In this early development there is a
      becoming more and
      more conscious of the conditioned messages- this process of
      becoming more
      consiouss start off by becoming conscious of what one feels
      they want or
      need to be GOOD, which means searching them out. This
      process of becoming
      consciouss of these wants seems to also be the process of
      constructing the
      framework of what will later be understood as victimhood.

      In otherwords, there seems to be the establishment of excuse
      object before
      there is the understanding of excuse objects- with the
      consequent growing
      ownership

      Ultimately it is found that it has always been One's choice
      to hold or not
      to hold, to let go or not let go

      that time and space is a field of excuse objects

      that the source of the very thing being sought is right
      here, right now

      that the fears at the root of the conditioned excuse
      projection is a
      resistence to here and now

      that the resistence can be accepted, and in so doing, be
      revealed as nothing
      but an expression of the here and now

      that true nature of the resistence is the same as the true
      nature of that
      which is sought

      that the true nature of the One is always here and now

      that there is nothing needed to let go

      Xan on Ego:

      All essence is
      consciousness

      It's love
      but not emotion

      It's love
      without contrast

      You are love
      without qualification

      Ego is not-love.

      Not-love is the vacuum
      that all nature hates
      and fills with .....
      all this stuff.

      Hear this
      de-trivialized
      fresh:

      You are love.

      ANTOINE

      A story from the cable boy,

      I love my job, as i come to practice tai-chi, in each
      movement i make.
      It's a discipline, a service to me.

      Two days ago, i went to install the cable for a lady. Each
      case is
      unique. As i was installing the cable, as i may install
      cable modem, the
      phone or the videophone, the lady got curious about me,
      asking me about
      my education, my origin. And she could not believe i was
      doing this job
      instead of being the corporate manager of my firm, with all
      my
      education. And i was telling her i like my job, i enjoy
      every moment of
      it, and i am free from it as i leave it. And i "think"
      (projection
      here), she could see it in my eyes that i like my job as
      much as making
      love to a woman, to take a frame of reference, or playing in
      my garden,
      or looking a a beautiful night sky, etc...

      She only had on idea in her head, the stock market, and
      wanted me to
      like it as much. When the tv was connected, she jumped on
      the stock
      market channel, to start crying. S That was only two calls
      in one day, i
      make usually from 7 to 12. The Company sends me on special
      problem,
      either technical or of human relations. Not all days
      generate such
      stories. But getting to be in the home of so many peoples
      does bring
      intimate relations.

      Lucien Bouchard, our prime minister, a strong man he is in
      person. I
      respect him deeply. He his one of the few who was affected
      by the
      epidemic, don't remember the name of the sickness, it append
      about 6
      years ago over the world. About 100 people died. It was
      horrible because
      people would die from it in a day or two, and it eaten the
      flesh, like
      fire. Very few survived it, he did, but lost a leg to it.
      All that in a
      matter of hours.

      So i arrived at the 20 story building, with this decoder box
      and my tool
      belt, trying not to forget about my tai chi flow :) Had to
      sign papers
      downstairs and pass a metal detector. Of course i bused with
      my tools.
      Then up the elevator to the 12. To find three man's waiting
      for me with
      guns. Checking double checking my identity. Then passing a
      series of
      doors that can only be open from the inside. Of course i am
      escorted.
      The chief of security, a 6'2" guy, takes over. And brings me
      to the room
      where the prime minister is alone, doing some work. The
      secretary is
      there to let us in at the right time, like in a ballet
      dance.

      People wanting to become Presidents or prime minister have
      not seen this
      crystal prison with their eyes.

      To smooth things, seeing the chief of security wondering
      what could be
      in my two boxes. I ask him if he knows Andre Boiclair, a
      cabinet
      minister of my age. He says yes of course. Then i tell him,
      we went 7
      years to school in the same classroom, at the College Jean
      de Brebeuf. I
      made a lie, telling him that we plaid basket ball together,
      when Andre
      Boiclair was in fact the water boy of our basket ball team.
      He soften.
      He ask: you plaid basket ball?, where are you from?,
      etc...until the
      eternal question following why do you do this job. My
      eternal answer,
      because i love it :)

      So we go in the office, me and him, the Prime minister
      reading a paper
      and the secretary dancing from her phones to him. His wife
      was not there
      :) To bad Lol.

      That installation was like making a tea ceremony for someone
      watching,
      the chief of security. Taking my knife to open the box. My
      cutter to cut
      wires, etc., draw all his deep attention. In now time it was
      done. I
      handle the remote control to the prime minister, first
      contact, for him
      to see if all was ok.

      He took the time to get up for me before i left and give me
      a hand
      shake. He asked me if he could do something for me. I said
      yes, when you
      have time please say hello to Andre Boiclair for me. "And
      what is your
      name" he said. Just tell him the tall one from school tells
      him hi, he
      will know who i am. And we all laughed, since the security
      guard seems
      short near me.

      And so i left, to stop at a near by cafe on a terrace to
      take a drink on
      this wonderful afternoon. And then drive to my next job. A
      woman alone
      in few million dollar house with 16 tv not working. And then
      after an
      old lady that got scared, because her vcr started the
      autoprogram of
      channels alone after a power failure. Each moment is unique.

      But those are other stories.
      he told me she just had lost 50,000
      dollars today. I hold her in my harms for a while without
      saying a word,
      then i left for my next job.

      It was the Prime minister of the province of Quebec, Lucien
      Bouchard,
      who wanted to look at CNN in an office of his. But that his
      another
      story.

      I love my job.

[...]

      NEWS BRIEF!

      Post-Modern Condition
      Upgraded To
      Pre-Apocalyptic
      CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA--The
      "postmodern" condition of
      alienated, disjointed
      late-20th-century humanity was
      officially upgraded to
      "pre-apocalyptic" Monday, when
      new findings from leading
      postmodernist theorist Richard
      Rorty were published in the new
      issue of Semiotexte. "I was
      flipping through the cable
      channels the other night, trying
      to get an abstract sense of the
      way emergent processes of
      change and transformation
      generated by contemporary
      high-tech society are
      challenging cultural
      assumptions regarding diverse
      aesthetic forms to create a
      novel state of history," Rorty
      said, "when, all of a sudden, I
      realized that everything I was
      looking at was the biggest load
      of unimaginably horrific crap
      ever." At this point in the
      socio-cultural discourse, Rorty
      said, the key question is no
      longer whether or not social
      fragmentation, cultural
      meta-juxtaposition and
      socioeconomic problematics
      require new modes of
      experience and interpretation,
      but rather, "When will the
      seven-headed dragon of the
      End Times descend upon us all
      in unholy fury?"

      ---contributed by Gene

      DIALOGUE BETWEEN GENE AND ANTOINE

      Gene:

      After a careful reading of your webpages, I see that you are
      aware
      of the esoterica of thermodynamics. This is a rare attribute
      among people,
      to see physics in terms of 'spirituality'.

      Antoine:

      We unfold in from the language we have, we are... For me it
      has been
      physics that came the closest to my "dreams" and "visions"
      in my teens.
      It took me a long time then (one year is a very long time :)
      to also
      come to see "official" spiritual language also in terms of
      spirituality.
      A small book from a mystic, Maurice Maeterlink, that my
      father gave me
      for my 16 year hold birthday, was my first door in seeing,
      by the medium
      of words, instead of visions, that i was not _alone_ in
      seeing.

      But i do see the lake, and the nature around, where i was
      raised younger
      as the symbolic domain of my spirituality.

      Gene:

      Allow me to just ramble here. We face backwards 'because'
      what we would
      otherwise face is the event-horizon of 'death', the sole
      predictable
      singularity in life...

      Antoine:

      It is a sentence rich in meaning that i read here. With
      other words, i
      translate it this way: The _fire_ burning can only "think"
      of finding
      the next wood to burn. It is its essence. Death for fire
      means not
      finding anymore combustible to burn. _Fire_ is _acceleration
      of
      entropy_. The wood without it, simply decays in its "normal
      flow". The
      fire is dead, the wood decays.

      Gene:

      or so it is promoted in world-dream belief and
      teachings. For world-dream humans, the future is 'death'...
      but for those
      (Nagualists, nondualists) few who fall outside of the
      artificial limits of
      the world-dream, navigation does not include death as a
      signifcant
      landmark. Thus, facing the 'future' is possible, and is
      taught as 'Tantra'
      via the school of Vajrayana (which is built not only upon
      Buddhism, but
      also upon a more ancient foundation, that of the 'Nagualism'
      of Bon-Po, or
      as it is called. "The Way of Seeing"). It is possible to
      live... without
      the classical definitions of life and death; to do so, may
      put one at odds
      with the enforcers of the world-dream. That is when things
      become very
      'interesting' in a social context, and that is why
      hermitism/Shamanism is
      still a very rare flower to be seen blooming among the
      thorns.

      Antoine:

      I like in thermodynamics, the Maxwell Demon. He looks at
      "death" to
      create "life". But he only reverses the classical
      "definition" of life
      and death. Yin becomes yang and vice versa, he still as a
      direction ,
      even if the reverse.

      Gene:

      According to the ancients... all of 'reality' (as treated by
      physics) is
      merely degenerate light; that is to say, that from light
      comes not only
      fire, but also movement (relativity), space, water, ash
      (earth). We
      observe, as you know, from a present which still emanates
      from that light,
      but this simple fact is lost upon most observers. Entropy is
      the activity
      of degeneration of light, the return to light, via the
      myriad paths of
      matter (elements) and energy.

      Antoine:

      Yes like a tree with millions of leaf and roots.

      Gene:

      Living biological Beings use the power of _accelleration of
      entropy_ for
      the business of creation, of honey or anything else.
      Organization here, is
      at the expense of organization elsewhere.
      Eating/digesting/anabolism is at
      the expense of the envirionment; we build by destroying. It
      is however,
      only the 'binding energy' which we actually expoit. Matter
      itself is
      symptomatic of the existence of binding energy; the Being
      uses binding
      energy released via the reactor of digestion to sustain
      itself, the body is
      'simply' the slow-motion outflow of what was destroyed, or
      'degenerate
      light'.

      Eventually, long-wave infrared heat is consumed by the great
      singularity,
      to be once again boosted in activity to photonic and beyond.

      Antoine:

      The "eventually", long-wave infrared heat being consummated
      by the great
      singularity (the big crunch movement), according to the Big
      Bang/big
      Crunch egg of our imagination, should be as long as the big
      bang
      movement. The big Crunch is the domain of the Maxwell Demon,
      contraction into the known, and the combustion into the
      unknow, the
      explosion, is the domain of the Big Bang wave.

      Gene:

      This long, seemingly eternal gradient is the _stretched
      single point of Being_. The
      mind of the human creates 'time' as a _justification_ for
      what is observed,
      but the concept of 'time' thus disguises the reality which
      entropy reveals
      to physicists. We seek to remove that disguise, yes?

      Antoine:

      And remove the disguise which entropy is for physicist.

      Gene:

      This is why I object to platitudinous 'explanations' which
      seek to reduce
      it all to slogans and beliefs and standards (even the
      standards of
      'nondualism') through which to see. It is only by facing
      forward into the
      future/unknown that direct vision of our power of creation,
      the highest
      Siddhe, can be recognized and thus used responsibly.

      Antoine:

      If one objects to something, it is something :)

      Rambling here:)

      The Big Bang Egg of our imagination that is expanding from
      it's initial
      singularity (called in thermodynamics, a "movement" towards
      the state of
      maximum entropy), creates a pattern of manifestation we
      associate, in
      psychology, to the arrow of time (past (known) -> future
      (unknown) ),
      (or creates) simple patterns like finding normal that pool
      balls placed
      in a _triangular_ form on a poll table, when broke by the
      _white_ ball,
      spread all over the table instead of coming back to form the
      initial
      _triangle_, or a circle or a square of balls.)

      As _fire_ burning wood, using of its power of _acceleration
      of entropy_
      and that comes to "fear" the lack of wood (combustible) for
      its survival
      in the state of manifestation. As this _fire_ "fearing"
      death, and
      coming to face only backwards (to find more combustible to
      burn). In the
      same way, in our observation of manifestations, we are
      brought to look
      backward for combustible to survive in the "mode" of the
      _fire_ pattern
      we are identified with. This is usually felt as a sensation
      of a Arrow
      of time.

      But as much as the expanding Big Bang is a fruit of our
      imagination. As
      much may it become, after a while (when the ability of
      _fire_ to find
      combustible will be lost), A Big Crunch, returning to the
      initiator a
      different form of singularity. The general movement becoming
      "then" a
      movement towards entalpie (minimum entropy).

      An observer used to associate _life_ and _consciousness_ to
      the
      expanding Big Bang movement, surviving as a separate entity
      in the Big
      Crunch flow, will observe and experience manifestation as
      going from
      future (unknown) -> past (known). Fire in the big crunch
      will not be a
      "normal" form of manifestation, as much as hitting my
      triangle ball
      formation on a poll table, will not lead to dispersion of
      the balls, in
      general.

      The element of _fire_, movement towards maximum entropy, as
      a domain,
      support, body for awareness, identity, etc... May as well
      become the
      element _earth_, movement towards minimum entropy, where a
      Big Crunch of
      the Egg is/becomes the major law of imagination and
      observation observed
      in manifestation, instead of that of the Big Bang of the
      Egg.

      Changing elements from _earth_ to _fire_ or vice versa, is
      not a
      realization as such, as you know, but it sure helps one to
      expand the
      object of his/her identification. It's awareness is
      presented with a
      deeper unknown to "assist" to.

      Gene:

      Well-thought, Antoine. Yes... we have innate power of
      creation, and can
      learn to use it wisely. We can, through various means,
      deliver guidance and
      teaching and encouragement to others. Sometimes this can be
      experienced as
      a 'shock', by the student. It is what the student _reaches
      for in reaction
      to that shock_ which is the significant, telling evidence of
      just how the
      student is already conditioned, and of what thus must be
      unlearned, before
      the student may be able to face the raw unknown without
      pulling a rabbit
      out of the hat of imagination/conditioning. Our world-dream
      is literally
      crawling with such imagined-into-reality rabbits, a factor
      which is itself
      revealing of our power of creation.

      XAN

      Thoughts rise and fall
      in no-mind

      Emotions flow through
      nothing

      Sensations register
      then cease

      But what is this
      delicate
      constant
      flowing
      stillness?

      ANDREW

      Silent and still
      what is my voice?

      My wordy self ;
      What wind
      made this wave?

      Always each one ( the only one) keeps asking the question
      (the only
      question).