Sunday, February 11

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2001
      GENE POOLE

      Strategy of life

      Ability to contract

      Contracts around and holds that ability

      Like a fist gripping a diamond

      Never relaxing this grip

      Success of this strategy

      Has produced dreams of relaxation

      Known variously as heaven, nirvana, satori

      Yet all such dreams

      Gossamer wisps of possibility

      Are possible due literally due

      To the terrific work done in contraction

      Without which the fist would open

      In relaxation diamond lost

      JERRY K.

      Interesting though lengthy article on Kubrick's 2001:

      excerpts:

      Bowman's ultimate realization that he is trapped is made
      symbolically by Kubrick with the breaking of the wine glass.
      Even after all that he has been through Bowman still makes
      mistakes. The wine glass is like a zen koan that illuminates the
      mind in a flash. His own fallibility thrusts the scene towards
      it's climax as the old man dies on the bed and sees the monolith
      for the last time. The Great Work of the stone is complete.
      There is now a man, a human, who understands the greater
      universe. This man also understands that he is trapped in a jail
      that his own consciousness has designed. With the realization of
      his own fallibility, and his own trapped spirit, he is finally
      liberated from the realm of the hotel prison, or the world of
      illusion. In that instant he understands what the book of stone
      is trying to tell him. He lifts his hand in a gesture of
      understanding. And in that moment he is transformed - without
      dying - into the Starchild.

      There is a monolith that appears right after the opening
      sequence with the magical, lunar eclipse. But where is it? It is
      right in front of the viewer's eyes! The film is the monolith.
      In a secret that seems to never have been seen by anyone - the
      monolith in the film has the same exact dimensions as the
      Cinerama movie screen on which 2001 was projected in 1968. This
      can only be seen if one sees the film in it's wide-screen
      format. Completely hidden, from critic and fan alike, is the
      fact that Kubrick consciously designed his film to be the
      monolith, the stone that transforms. Like the monolith, the film
      projects images into our heads that make us consider wider
      possibilities and ideas. Like the monolith, the film ultimately
      presents an initiation, not just of the actor on the screen, but
      also of the audience viewing the film. That is Kubrick's
      ultimate trick. He slyly shows here that he knows what he is
      doing at every step in the process. The monolith and the movie
      are the same thing.

      DAN: I remain very intrigued by the opening sequence in which a
      bone is transformed into a spaceship.

      JERRY: I've heard that it is considered one of the greatest
      'edits' in movie history. It's a movie unto itself.

      DAN: So much was said there about how our evolution changed from
      adaptation to an environment that dictates survival to
      adaptation to our own tools, which dictate whose survival is
      favored.

      JERRY: It shows how we have immured ourselves in our own tools!
      It is the effort of activists to break through the walls of our
      tools, not so much to free anyone, because that's always an
      illusion, but to make room for everyone, to make everyone
      acceptable and accepted. When that room has been made, the group
      it is made for will migrate toward it.

      DAN: This movie seems to say there is a "next step" in which we
      realize that there is a purely unknown force involved in our
      evolution, and that force is the depth of our own unknown being.

      -------------------------

      BETH

      I just finished writing this to insightpractice...I love how all
      these email forums are just rooms in one single house...we are
      together, we are one.

      " 2001 has been my favorite movie for most of my adult life. I
      cannot tell you anything about why, except the first time I
      watched it, I "got" it...I got the whole thing of what we are
      doing here, why we need to remember that we are one, what life
      is all about and why we need to care for each other...the last
      scene, with the wild and swirling colors...I could see past
      present and future, and then it was over, and when the credits
      ran, I lost it...this insight that had been so strong in me was
      nowhere to be found, because I immediately called a friend, and
      when he said "hello" I opened my mouth, and nothing was there
      anymore...it is worse to lose something that you know you know,
      than it is not to have ever gotten it in the first place. And I
      wasn't looking when I started watching it..I was simply looking
      forward to a good sci-fi movie. I have been searching ever
      since, and I have never been able to get back that feeling.

      It was a great movie...2010 wasnt as good, although it ended
      well."

      TIM GERCHMEZ

      JERRY: You think you'll ever get to any of those satsangs? It would be
      interesting to hear your report."

      TIM: I was thinking about possibly attending the upcoming one with
      Nirmala. Although I have to say, usually given the choice I
      don't go out much, preferring to be alone most of the time (For
      some reason there's just no motivation to get out much, ever --
      like I'm entirely missing the 'motivation gene' -- in 8 years of
      counseling I never did figure that out).

      I did Email Nirmala, and he responded... here's his response for
      anyone else in the Seattle area who's interested:

      ---------- I am glad you enjoyed the website. You are very
      welcome at satsang in Bellevue this coming weekend. It is a
      combination of a short silent meditation, direct teaching in the
      form of an opening talk, questions and answers, and simple
      sharing by the whole group. There is no ongoing commitment
      required: you can come as often or as infrequently as you wish.
      Although I also would suggest that there is a cumulative effect
      that makes the satsangs more profound whenever it is possible to
      spend a lot of time in satsang. These weekends are intended to
      be an opportunity for a sort of mini-retreat without the cost or
      hassle of traveling or paying for room and board. The satsangs
      are free and open to all, and donations are appreciated also to
      help cover the cost of my travel and expenses.

      BETH AND TIM

      TIM/OMKARA: Although I have to say, usually given the
      choice I don't go out much, preferring to be alone most of the
      time (For some reason there's just no motivation to get out
      much, ever -- like I'm entirely missing the 'motivation gene' --
      in 8 years of counseling I never did figure that out).>>

      BETH: Hi Omkara,

      Going through the same thing, and I have been for some time now.
      It bothers me a little, but obviously not enough to either
      change or find out why...part of it I had assumed, was the
      availability of conversation here, part of it is by the time
      work is over, both daily and weekly I am in no condition to drag
      myself out, and I love being alone...the computer is company
      when I want it, and I can turn this thing off when I don't, and
      the television has lost it's allure totally. CDs or silence are?
      is? heaven. I get bored and depressed with a lot of social
      input, never bored and depressed with silence. Hmmm haven't
      tried counseling yet. D'ya think I need it?

      It is nice to know I am not any weirder than any others. :o)

      beth

      TIM: Dear Beth,

      I don't think you need counseling unless it's *really* bothering
      you or you feel it's disrupting your life in a major way. What
      'other people think' means absolutely NOTHING... absolute zero,
      zilch. If I've learned anything at all, I've learned that much.

      If you asked my opinion, there's absolutely nothing 'wrong' with
      you.

      I've been a "loner" (negative connotations, eh?) most of my
      life, and like it that way. I love being by myself too. For many
      years it bothered me (mostly because I let what other people
      think have a major effect), so I was in counseling (it wasn't
      only for that specific thing, though).

      Wasn't it Jesus who said "Be in the world, but not of it?" That
      might get quoted pretty often (usually prescriptive rather than
      descriptive), but is the idea really accepted? I don't think
      so...

      I think the key is to go beyond what 'other people think'.
      Society rarely allow for habits it considers 'different'.

      Society is not only "out there," it's in our heads as well.

      Go beyond society.

      Love,

      Omkara (Tim)

      TIM: If you think about it, it's downright weird that people
      "know" others on the other side of the world (due to the
      Internet), yet they don't know if anyone lives in the house next
      to them, or if it's vacant...

      LINDA: In one sense, I think this could be considered weird, but
      in another sense not. Not in the sense that in reality we are
      not separated by time and space or even separate at all, so it
      is not weird that we can feel this togetherness via the Net, but
      weird that we do not "know" this about everywhere and
      everything. Or not weird, if considering that we're looking at
      it in the mode of the ego, which, in my ego opinion is weird
      anyway. I guess ego aside, isn't it great that the Knower knows
      and in the Knower, we're all neighbors?

      Anyway, all that aside, I would like to know my physical
      neighbors better. I've just joined this group a couple of
      minutes ago, and so I have not read all the e-mails where some
      may tell where they're from. Anybody hail from Indianapolis?

      TIM:

      I also find it refreshing in the extreme talking with
      children... but I think sometimes adults in the vicinity get a
      little worried, because I don't talk to kids as 'adult-to-child'
      but rather just as a person, and it even seems to confuse the
      kids.

      I can remember a long greyhound bus ride and sitting next to a
      boy around age 10 or 11 (I was about 28 then), just having a
      long, interesting conversation about a lot of things. When my
      stop came around he was giving me a strange look... we had
      become friends, but there was no socially acceptable context to
      remain friends afterward... in the paranoid climate of the U.S.
      I could probably be arrested for even giving him contact
      information or something.

      It's kind of sad such a paranoia exists, based only partially on
      truth, but also overblown media reports making people think any
      adult male who talks with kids 'not his own' is a paedophile...

      DAN:
      Our society is extremely fragmented
         and stratified, and one feature
         of this is that generations are assumed
         to have little appropriate contact across
         groupings by age.  Fear of touch and anxiety
         about intrusion are associated features.
         All this anxiety builds frustration, movies
         and other entertainment use violence
         for temporary relief, and those who aren't
         successful at regulating stress through
         vicarious violence are "driven" to acts that
         feed the fear and maintain the cycle of
         our culture.

      Cultural and financial pressures enforce
         and ensure that this fragmentation
         and individualization maintains, for
         it is the basis of our competitive
         consumer-oriented machine, which
         feeds on itself in order to expand.

      The information revolution is a two-edged
         sword, for it has tended to further amplify
         the divide between educated and uneducated,
         haves and have-nots, with an amplified
         focus on the individual
         in relation to information and "getting ahead".

      At the same time, there are many factors in our
         culture that facilitate "opening" ... so it's a mixed
         bag, and I include the technology of information
         in this mixed bag.

      I suppose there never has been yin without yang,
         light without dark -- so life goes on as always,
         moving into and as the unknown.

      HUMANITATE:
      Does self-realization lead to self-alienation? Does technology
      contribute to this dilemma? Hmmmmmmmmm. Possible thread? Are non
      dualists alienated from society? Is that why we are finding a
      need for community? i.e. the CI???

      JAN BARENDRECHT:
      A good reason for communities has always been to ease
      deconditioning, as the major part of it concerns the issue of
      "relating to" and that includes issues like interpretation. This
      is half of the story though...

      The other half is that thoughts do have a power to materialize,
      with well-known analogies that a human is but one conductor for
      a thought current, so community enables a stronger current -
      inducing other currents etc...

      Another view on the matter is from the analogy that sentient
      life is designed in such a way, that initially, each creature
      will come to the conclusion to be the one spider in the center
      of its web, that web and the other spiders just being
      perceptions. When it finally dawns there are no spiders at all,
      only a web, permanently under construction, it is said, that
      could work transformative...

      RON PERRYMORE

      Sandeep Chatterjee" wrote: In string theory, the elementary
      constituents of the Universe are not point particles but rather
      one-dimensional vibrating filaments--and the different particles
      such as electrons, muons, and quarks are simply different
      vibrations or "musical notes" of the string. The Universe is a

      cosmic symphony of these "notes"... -- Book review of The
      ElegantUniverse, by Brian Greene in Frontier Perspectives from
      the Center for Frontier Sciences at Temple

      Ron: Seems to me that these little imaginary string things have
      a conscious intention to become a complete and unified whole of
      something. A human being becomes a complete and unified whole of
      something when it realizes that in some holographic way that it
      was the whole shebang in the first place. At least that's what
      everyone seems to be saying, personally I only know that
      wholeness in quick glances, given more often lately, but not
      enough to put on my robe and slippers and harangue the multitude
      about or for that matter to post to this list about. But I will.

      I know that there is something bright, beautiful, and wonderful
      beyond description going on, that only sticky identification
      with this body and brain keeps from view.. but that is all I know.

      And so from that place of the "vasty deep" I allow to be and
      with intention abide this remembered emotional history of fear
      and triumph. All illusory I am told but nonetheless painful and
      sometimes tragic for many (a friend of a friend of mine
      recently committed suicide). This spiritual agony was
      apparently so very real to that man that he decided to share it
      with everyone.

      The only piece of advice I would offer to someone experiencing
      that kind of agony is something that I did called a "master alignment
      session". I won't try to explain it other than to say that after
      I did it, the archetype that I have dramatized in this lifetime
      began to dawn on me. In my case it was old Merlin the magician
      and trickster, a guy who can be invisible while in plain view,
      something I aspired to do in my whole lifetime of seeking,
      masquerading as one alone without need or desire for anyone.
      That session that lasted about an hour when frozen blocks of
      energy patterns were shifted and freed by the young woman
      facilitator and her and my "angels" as she put it, has had an
      extraordinary and growing effect on this old hermit. I was in
      that ~dark night of the soul~

      I know well that old "what's the use" feeling and I sympathise
      with all who are going through the insanity of seeking. She is
      here in San Diego should someone like to contact her. She
      doesn't have a web page that I know of and I had the sense that
      she was interviewing me on our first phone conversation (maybe
      to gauge my particular insanity <g>). At any rate I offer that
      for whatever value it may have for those in pain and encourage
      all not to endure it alone, I did but I needn't have, love,
      acceptance and non judgmental peacefulness are everywhere
      available in this wonderful time.

      Thanks to all who share on this list. What rapturous thoughts
      you have!

      Ron

      JERRY

      I find that as I get older I get more social. I know I'll end up
      in a nursing home on television clapping my hands and smiling
      like a goofball while some old geezer is playing a fiddle or
      something, while the voiceover is saying 'Residents of the Happy
      Farm old age home finally have their fiddle player back...".
      Yeah, solitude sounds real good right about now. This is the
      real challenge: bringing us together while keeping us away from
      the goddammed fiddler.