Monday February 12th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2001
      NDS

      Hi Jerry...

      You quipped:

      <snipperoo>

      >I find that as I get older I get more social. I know I'll end up in
      >a nursing home on television clapping my hands and smiling like a
      >goofball while some old geezer is playing a fiddle or something,
      >while the voiceover is saying 'Residents of the Happy Farm old age
      >home finally have their fiddle player back...". Yeah, solitude
      >sounds real good right about now. This is the real challenge:
      >bringing us together while keeping us away from the goddammed
      >fiddler.
      >
      >Jerry

      Really, the best way to handle this eventuality, is to start and fund
      an initiative to build special, NonDual nursing homes. There is a big
      difference between being an inmate in such a place, or actually
      owning (or at least being part of a financial trust which owns) it.

      Think of it. We could find a place in the warm, like outside of
      Tucson, and rebuild it to resemble some sacred place, like where the
      Famous Dead Guys once habituated in India or elsewhere. Throw in a
      few stupas, a few impressive temples, and it would be a great
      money-making tourist attraction!

      We could all be sitting around in loincloths (actually disguised
      'Depends'), being waited upon, leaning up against the sun-bleached
      adobe walls, surrounded by young seekers (who would of course pay an
      admission fee to enter 'NonDuaLand'). An entire community of 'Retired
      Masters, who by now are completely comfortable, sitting around while
      constantly spouting what sounds like nonsense.

      Is there really a difference between denying you are an individual,
      and being unaware that you are one? Unshaven, unkempt, constantly
      breaking into weird laughter... it certainly fits the stereotype,
      does it not?

      Throw in a few Oriental-Style Retired Masters, or give them their own
      style of retirement environment, complete with Dojos and Tea Houses;
      they can chase the visitors with sticks, threatening to enlighten
      them. Sake would of course flow like water.

      Then there is the Kerouac Village, consisting of run-down cheap
      boarding houses and late-night coffee houses. The poetry readings
      would be... entertaining! The nearby distilleries and
      Ganga-plantations would of course, fuel the fun.

      The ability to see auras, to predict the future, to display special
      powers (or at least claim to have such), to example high spiritual
      disregard for 'the body'... all of these are okay in "Masters".
      Otherwise, it is diagnosis... Alzheimers!

      I think you can get the idea. A little planning, a little funding,
      and we could all be set up not only for retirement, but the
      opportunity to make Big Buck$ while coaching our young seekers while
      we are at it!

      What really, is the difference between an 'OM', and the droning snore
      of one who is lost in 'meditation'?

      I can see it now...

      ==Gene Poole==

      Last night this dream came:

      I was in a wooded area with some small buildings about. Native
      American people were gathering for a new kind of dance. It was a dance
      of atonement and reconcilliation.

      The dancers all held thier arms out to the side. This symbolized a
      willingness to be open. The steps were a simple step, step, half step,
      step, half step, step. On the half step some of the dancers would make
      a quarter turn either forward or backward. On the half step someone
      would speak in a formalized tone of something he or she had done in
      thier life.

      They would speak of the things that they had done. There was no crying
      about it. It was simply expressed. "I hurt my wife. I was a
      radical communist 20 years ago. I started having kids at age nine."
      They relased many things.

      They spoke out thier lives openly and honestly. There were some tears
      shed from the releasing of the pain. But there was no crying of self
      pity.

      This was a new thing for the people. They were willing to be totally
      honest about the stories of thier lifes. There was no blame and no
      shame. And absolutely no judgement.

      It was beautiful.

      We are not separate from the play of the universe. We are the play of
      the universe. At times the play is rough, damned rough. At other times
      it so gentle.

      Wisdom, compassion and understanding do not come when we hide away in
      some cave or on a mountain top. They come through experiencing the
      pains and joys that life offers.

      It has been said that all is an illusion. While this is true, it is
      not a bad thing. Though it is an illusion it is juicy and delicious.

      HAHAHAH and HOHOHO!

      Peace - at play in the fields of infinity - Michael

      Say, are you bored? Do you wonder what's going to happen.
      Are you perchance expecting the end of the world as we know it?
      Well, friends, you may not be alone. Down through history
      the end of the world has been predicted many times over.

      Check this out

      http://www.primenet.com/~heuvelc/skeptic/predictions.htm

      heeheehee - Michael

      James Traverse:

      Hi folks,
      Jim Dreaver will be at the Kripalu Center
      The theme of the workshop is contained in the article below.

      THE WAY OF HARMONY
      Exploring the Yoga of Freedom and Power

      by Jim Dreaver

      "This is what brings freedom--the awakening to your true nature as
      consciousness, as the timeless awareness behind all phenomena.'

      --THE WAY OF HARMONY

      For the past twenty-five years, I have been fascinated by what it takes
      get grounded in the source of inner freedom and power, so that no matter
      what
      is happening in our lives or in the marketplace, it doesn't shake our
      fundamental clarity and inner peace.

      Stress, conflict, and an underlying sense of powerlessness are endemic
      to our
      society. We worry about money, deadlines, unresolved tensions at work
      and
      home, job security, our health, family issues, relationship problems,
      and
      whether or not we are doing what we really want to do in life.

      Even when we feel full of confidence and self-assurance we are often
      only
      that way because we are winning at the outer game of life and work. In
      other
      words, we feel good because things are going well for us. Unless we have

      developed mastery at what I call the 'inner game' then should we
      experience
      a reversal of circumstances, should things take a turn for the worse--as
      they
      frequently do, given that change is the fundamental nature of life--our
      confidence inevitably falters, and turns into self-doubt and anxiety.

      However, it doesn't have to be this way. It is possible to play
      successfully
      in life and at work without the stress and conflict that most people
      live
      with on a daily basis. Learning to do this involves understanding and
      embodying three essential keys for accessing the source of freedom and
      power
      within: presence, insight, and vision.

      #1: PRESENCE

      Heightened mind/body awareness is the key to presence, and yoga is a
      superb
      vehicle for developing this. As you breathe deeply and consciously,
      learn to
      release tension in your muscles, and bring your focus out of your head,
      into
      your body, into an awareness of your immediate environment, you find
      yourself
      naturally more alert and at ease in the present moment. Presence itself
      is
      the source of your physical energy, power, and charisma. It is the key
      seeing the facts of any situation with clarity, to making the best
      decisions,
      and to taking the right action.

      An alert, relaxed sense of presence brings you into harmony with the
      natural
      rhythms and changes, the inevitable ups and downs of life, so that you
      are
      not struggling against reality, the way things are. You are more
      balanced,
      centered, in the flow. You instinctively know when to stand firm, and
      when to
      yield; when to move forward, and when to pull back; when to speak, and
      when
      to listen; when to hold on, and when to let go. At the same time, you
      find it
      easier to focus on your goals because your creative energy is no longer
      being
      inhibited by the fear of loss or failure that inevitably looms when you
      worry
      about the future.

      Another major benefit of being truly present is that it greatly improves
      the
      flow of communication between yourself and others. It is easier to
      speak the
      truth, because you are no longer in your head, caught up in trying to
      defend
      or justify your ego, in the need to be 'right'--which is the mark of an
      insecure ego. You are more genuinely interested in listening to others.
      You
      want to know what they think and how they feel. This kind of openness
      and
      honesty establishes trust. Trust, in turn, is the key to resolving
      conflicts
      and building a strong sense of teamwork, of partnership, both at work
      and at
      home.

      #2: INSIGHT

      Self-knowing is critical to mastery, and it begins with insight into
      your own
      strengths and liabilities. Ultimately, though, it is knowing who you are

      beyond all your beliefs and ideas about who you are, beyond the 'story'
      you
      have created about who you are.

      In my book, The Way of Harmony, I call the shift that facilitates true
      self-knowing the core insight, an idea which has its roots in many
      wisdom
      traditions, including yoga. It is seeing that you are not your story,
      your
      personal history. The world between your ears that you 'think' is who
      you
      are, and that gets expressed in the mind and body as conflict, stress,
      and
      tension, is not who you really are. The more you learn to be present,
      expand
      your awareness, and see the inner drama for the self-generated illusion
      it
      is, the more it drops away. Meaning and fulfillment no longer depend on
      what
      you think, have, or even do, but stem from the aliveness, the joy, the
      fullness of being that vibrates in your very cells in each and every
      moment.

      Freed of the psychological and emotional component--the incessant
      concern
      with 'me, myself, and I'--thinking becomes available as the powerful
      creative tool that it is. You use thinking, in other words, but you are
      no
      longer at the effect of your thoughts. This inner clarity gives you
      access to
      a constant stream of wisdom, intuition, and guidance, and what you are
      here
      to do--your unique mission, purpose, and destiny in life--becomes very,
      very
      clear.

      Changes, of the kind which throw most people into crisis, cease having
      the
      power to upset you, other than momentarily. If upset does occur, you
      breathe,
      get really present, and remind yourself that you are not your story, but
      that
      your true nature is consciousness, timeless awareness, breathing through
      this
      body, mind, and heart. This allows you to recover your equanimity
      quickly.
      The authenticity, spontaneity, and sheer goodwill you then bring to each

      moment inspires the highest and best in others.

      #3: VISION

      Just through mastering the first two keys, you begin to influence the
      outer
      game in a whole new way. Synchronicity and serendipity become much more
      common occurrences in your life. You don't have to 'try' to make things
      happen so much anymore. You just set your intention for the future, stay

      present and focused on the task before you, and creative things happen.

      The key here is vision, being very clear about what you want for your
      future.
      Vision includes intention. In life, you get what you intend. So, if you
      want
      to access the source of inner freedom and power, that must be your
      primary
      intention--your 'inner' intention. But then you must also get very clear

      about your outer intention, what you want to create, or make happen, in
      your
      world. You must visualize clearly where you want to be in your life. The

      clearer and more inspired your vision, the easier it is to figure out
      how to
      get from where you are to where you want to be.

      Strategic planning and goal-setting are important tools, but when the
      inner
      and outer intention are clear and congruent, things tend to happen by
      themselves. The people you need to meet who can support you in attaining
      your
      objectives show up, the right doors open, connections are made,
      opportunities
      appear. Without even having to 'try' to, you begin to manifest truly
      conscious, harmonious, and productive relationships, both in your
      personal
      life and at work--all as a result of presence, insight, and clear
      vision.
      Gratitude for life's abundance and blessings then becomes your daily
      mantra,
      and service to others the single most important reason for doing what
      you do.

      © Jim Dreaver, 2001

      Jim Dreaver, DC has been guiding others in the fields of mind/body
      integration, stress-management, and personal mastery for twenty years.
      He is
      the author of several books, most recently The Way of Harmony: Walking
      the
      Inner Path to Balance, Happiness, and Success (Avon),which has been
      acclaimed
      for its clarity, elegance, and practical wisdom. Contact him for
      information
      about individual and group work.

      The dates for the seminar at Kripalu are March 8-11,2001

      LYNN
      > Spiritual apathy ...
      > I think it's root is fear. Of what?

      ~ Apathy comes from being caught between two fears:

      One, that you will never reach the self-realization you long for.

      The other, that you will.

      The fear that your conditioned identity is dissolving
      in the truth of you is very strong. It seems as if
      there is an entity called *I* which fights for its life.

      In actuality though, it is just the tendency of forms
      to maintain themselves and to resist change...
      including the form made up of ideas and memories
      called "myself".

      Looking into the fear directly... more closely...
      leads to seeing through to what is beyond all fear.

      with love
      Xan