Friday February 2, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2001

      CHRISTIANA sends first "episode of the sit.com salon"

      Images playing with this line, while standing inline at the post office:

      In the wee hours before dawn, a group of yahoos met at the local salon for no apparent reason other than to play poole and hang out in the alien-freezone of non duality.

      Drinking the infamous HeBrew, with the pithy slogan "Don't pass over, pass out", they inquired into the appearance of alien movement in the pinball machine and it's potential effect on their poole cues. Poole being a consummate matrix game of appearance-disappearance (based on cue's position) any alien movement was cause for deep inquiry.

      Jerry, the intrepid salon owner and erstwhile comictender, told them to "nevermind" the cue; that poole had a way of arising it's own mastery. Yet the yahoos kept the brew alive, not to contest the mastery, but from a need to hold and open the game space together.

      Sarlo was going to give the joint a 4 star rating, but he got waylaid as he stepped outside for a smoke and was overtaken instead by a pack of white wolves. The wolves lead him to the deep sand shore where they together witnessed the wind from Michael's laughter generating waves which threatened to capsize Mark's boat. Mary, of course, held the ballast in stay.

      Back in the parlor, Gloria, wearing only one sandal, served stabilizing wisdom crackers and tea to the excited guys at the pinball machine, inviting them to sit It out for a bit.

      Here, in the wall-less salon, you'll find spiders and doctors and fish with gills; riverdwellers with deep sand shores; melodic tunes for movement dancers; canaries gazing in countenanceless mirrors; and ordinary yahoos just being with none other.

      Suddenly the wind, from the howl outside, blows open the door and in come the master poole players. The pinball guys step back in awe. Maybe they'll finally get some answers to the alien movement.

      But the masters know their game, and no minor pinball glitzch is going to call their cue.

      baited breathfully, all abide... till one by one, the clear glass balls on the poole table spill into pockets of laughter. xc-it clears the space with simple runes carved on lithographic limestone; as the dawn arises on Dan's matin verse.

      ED & GENE go "beyond enter and return"

      NDS

      Greetings, Ed... you replied to me:

      >Hi Gene, you said in response to:
      >
      >"Essentially what I am suggesting in my post, what I am experiencing
      >now, is encountering the tonal presence of others when responding to
      >their messages. I experience this as a Stream...of consciousnes that
      >flows from the Still Point through the Central Channel...to
      >integrate with my essence, emerging as a bodymind emanation, an
      >awareness-energy field called "us". Are you tuning in to this?"
      >

      >G. Yes, of course. It is my constant experience, similar to what you describe.
      >

      >E. It's gratifying to hear this Gene. The nature of this "process"
      >is rarely discussed so it is difficult to know whether others are
      >"tuned in" or understand it.

      Ed, my attempts to 'understand it' have not (yet?) borne fruit. I do
      see that the nature of the Being does include many very fine powers,
      including what is referred to as 'psychic'. It is too bad that this
      word has become associated with outlandish and irrelevant concepts,
      'because' it is essentially central to my experience as 'a Being'.

      My experience is that I am a gigantic spotlight, able to illuminate
      anything I put my attention upon. Perhaps you have had a similar
      experience, to a degree.

      Chief among the useful information disseminated by the ancient
      masters, is similar to what Carl G Jung warned; "Do not identify with
      an archetype". By this, I refer to also, the Yogic precepts which
      instruct to beware of being seduced by any developing 'Sidhe' or
      Yogic 'super-power'.

      I advise to reserve coming to any conclusions concerning your
      developing awareness; please allow this development to occur, aside
      from any conclusions. In a sense, you can consider yourself 'along
      for the ride'. Eventually, you may have the experience of having
      'your identity' revealed as a very minor player in this whole thing.
      Thus, the advise to 'not identify'. Another way of saying, is to take
      on faith, that there is no 'do-er', but "G-d".

      >I should think a space where one can resonate in abidance with
      >others, especially when one is having some difficulty "being there",
      >would be of significant value. I would also think an open door for
      >discussing any residual issues would be beneficial too.

      Yes. From my POV, what is going on, is 'just about residual issues'.
      Each aspect of 'Karma' that is up, is to be dealt with. This is the
      real issue, from my POV. But this is the short way of saying
      something, that is very complex. It is all about allowing the natural
      development of the Being; a major part of this allowance, is to
      realize what I call 'abiding' as the central attitude. To allow what
      happens to occur, and to also see it as a language that must be
      learned. Like, if you were to go to a place where a language was
      spoken, which you did not understand. To understand this new
      language, is possible, if one allows the 'total immersion' method.
      This is what I advise; allow total immersion in the flow of 'what
      is', and seek to learn that (first) it is a language, and (second) to
      learn this language. In the jargon of Vajrayana, what you are looking
      at is called 'Display'.

      >I seem to be heading in that direction and appreciate observations
      >from different perspectives.
      >
      >Thanks, Ed

      Livingly yours,

      ==Gene Poole==

      DAN on Kali and archetypes

      Gene,

      Jung thought that archetypes,
          being more powerful than ego,
          were capable, once "triggered"
          by activity in an individual's
          psyche, to "possess" that ego
          for the duration of that one's
          life.

      In other words, once the archetype
          is triggered, it will influence
          unconscious meaning-making
          until one dies -- according to Jung.

      One has no choice about identifying
         with the archetype, as it makes
         itself always inherent in the identity
         once its formulation is "accessed".
         Kind of like a megavirus just waiting
         to be invited in by some activity of
         a computer.  A virus that won't
         destory the computer's operation,
         just continually influence certain
         basic directions and ways of interpreting
         events.

      The only way "out" at this point is "further
          down and in" --
      By which I mean, not fighting the archetype,
          but discovering one's nonseparation with
          the Source of the archetype -- in synch
          with your statement that going along
          for the ride is inevitable ...

      And by saying this, I'm in synch also
          with the direction of your statement
          about the truth of "no-doer" ... yet saying
          here that this only "works" if it is
          not taken on faith, but is *known*
          as one's being, hence allowing nonconflict
          with any archetypal activation.

      As this *knowing*, one is beyond the
          map that Jung provided, for there is
          no ego-center here, and that is why
          archetypes are not a concern here.

      The great archetype of the Dark Mother,
          (e.g., Kali), which Jung discussed as
          wreaking havoc for some of his clients,
          is also a doorway to the Unknown (as
          Ramakrisha proclaimed) and actually
          fully through the doorway, one is
          beyond any archetype, be it Kali,
          Jesus, or God.

          Kali is the great destroyer
          of illusions, and the Christian religion
          suffers from lack of this important aspect
          of female energy (found in Qabala, and
          hence available to Christian Qabalists) --
          once possessed by her
          there is no way out but through ;-)  --

      Oh Mama,

      -- Dan

      MICHAEL READ & OMKARA

      --- In TheWayStation@y..., "Michael Read" wrote:
      > September, 1999, my car was vandalized. It is a nice little red
      > Chrysler LeBaron convertible with a white top. I awoke one morning
      > to find that the top had been slashed. No big deal. It is just a
      > car.
      >
      > At the auto store I found some vinyl tape to try and fix the cut.
      > When I told the checker why I wanted the tape, she grabbed her
      > stomach and doubled over in pain. Several friends of mine exhibited
      > the same symptoms when told about the vandalism. They appeared to
      > be in extreme pain and it wasn't even thier car!
      [..]

      > Whatever we think we possess is transitory.

      What if such thinking isn't present?

      > Whether it is our car, our house, our body, our neurosis, our very
      > life. It is an illusion.

      The "thinking we possess it" is illusion.  The entity who thinks it
      possesses it is illusion.  The attachment is illusion.

      Whether the items themselves (bodies, trees, cars, ad infinitum)
      are 'illusions' or not, you may wish to take up with a philosopher.
      That is no longer of interest here.

      > Wait a minute!!!! I just said everything was an illusion and
      > everything is god!!! What the f**k?!?!?

      Exactly.  What the f**k? :-).  What difference does it make, if the
      attachment is not there, if the entity who thinks it possesses is not
      there?

      When the need for the 'illusion vs. Reality' concepts is over, it is
      over.  "Illusion" and "Reality" are conceptual modes, useful if there
      is attachment.  If there is not attachment, these words mean nothing.

      Advice to all readers:  It may be unwise to switch attachments
      from 'the material' to 'the spiritual'.  It may not be wise to merely
      change concepts from "the world is real" to "the world is illusion."
      This is simply replacing one set of concepts with another.

      Love,

      Omkara

      JAMES TRAVERSE

      The man pulling radishes

      pointed the way

      with a radish.
                  Issa Kobayashi

      DAN BERKOW

      Let's look at this closely.
      The only reason that reality
         seems "meaningless" is
         because we assume there
         is a meaning to be given to it.

      With that assumption, either
         we manage to impose a
         meaning (which is
         a projection of the past,
         of memory and associations
         around a center in thought)
         or we aren't able to impose
         a meaning and feel we are
         living with a meaningless
         reality and situation.

      That still involves a subject and
         an object, a "me" and a "reality"
         which is meaningless.

      And this "me" -- what is it except
         for the attempt to impose meaning?
      If there is full dropping away of even
         the intent to have meaning, or the
         assumption that the can be a
         contructed meaning, where is the "me"?

      When the "me" is not, reality has no
         meaning, but it is not meaningless.
         It doesn't lack meaning.
         In fact, one could say that it is
         "meaning" itself - "meaning" that
         doesn't point to anything nor to
         anywhere outside of, or other
         than itself.

      TERRY ASKS DAN

      Hola, Terry!

      No sensei here.
      Just a word-typing
         apparatus ;-)

      > > Hi Terry,
      > >
      > > Let's look at this closely.
      > > The only reason that reality
      > >    seems "meaningless" is
      > >    because we assume there
      > >    is a meaning to be given to it.
      >
      >OK, so far.  I get this.  This meaning is something we construct.

      Yes.  Another way to say this is that meaning constructs
         itself by assuming there is a meaning.  That assumption
         is the "me" that seems to be there to impose (construct)
         meaning.

      >Meaningless only arises in opposition to meaning.

      Yes.  Meaninglessness is the negation of
         meaning, implying its lack.  So meaninglessness,
         by negating, affirms the possibility of meaning,
         by negating that possibility.

      >So in some sense,
      >meaninglessness must be the first step in every inquiry, since I
      >assume that just about everyone starts off with some kind of
      >constructed meaning about reality. So this is not such a bad thing.
      >Its the proverbial first step in the journey.

      Indeed.

      There aren't many steps.
      There is one step, which
          isn't really a step.
      A step goes from here to there.
      This doesn't.
      The first step is the last step.

      In terms of "constructed meaning"
          the only step is when there
          fully is no meaning, hence
          no meaning lacking,
          no "meaninglessness".

      > > That still involves a subject and
      > >    an object, a "me" and a "reality"
      > >    which is meaningless.
      >
      >OK.  You guys go so fast.  After the first step, now we get to
      >deconstruct what we constructed, including self and other.  Or at
      >least look into it to see what it is.

      There's no "after the first step".
      The "first step" ends
          "before and after" ...

      What I'm discussing above is
         just pointing to what there
         is no pointing to --
         to what the "first step"
         actually is -- it's not to say
         that I'm describing something that
         would "happen" after a
         first step.

      Because there is "now" no
          before or after, there is
          no first step - this is the
          first step.

      > > And this "me" -- what is it except
      > >    for the attempt to impose meaning?
      >
      >Or what this "me" considers to be "meaning".  So I create meaning,
      >which by some magic, creates me in turn, in the attempt to create or
      >impose meaning.  Wonderful.

      Look at this closely.
      Don't assume there necessarily
          is someone who can look.
      "Looking is" ...

      If/as "looking is" ...

      The dichotomy of meaning/meaninglessness
          is clarified as conceptualization only.
      Conceptualization is meaning-making.

      And yes, this same kind of dichotomy
         is there with "I" the meaning-maker
         and the-meaning-that-is-made.

      The meaning implies the maker of the
         meaning, and vice versa.

      If/as "looking is" ... the dichotomy is
         apparent -- the dichotomy can't
         sustain itself.  There is no ground
         for it.  The meaning-maker only
         is, if there is meaning being made,
         and meaning being made only is,
         if there is a meaning-maker
         (i.e., a reference point for what is
          meaningful, to whom something
          means something).

      > > If there is full dropping away of even
      > >    the intent to have meaning, or the
      > >    assumption that there can be a
      > >    contructed meaning, where is the "me"?
      > >
      > > When the "me" is not, reality has no
      > >    meaning, but it is not meaningless.
      > >    It doesn't lack meaning.
      > >    In fact, one could say that it is
      > >    "meaning" itself - "meaning" that
      > >    doesn't point to anything nor to
      > >    anywhere outside of, or other
      > >    than itself.

      >Again, here you have made a gigantic leap.  Dropping me and pointing
      >to "what is".  That's the way to do it.  You must be the Michael
      >Jordan of non-dual pointing out.  Thanks.  Terry.

      Yes.  It's more than a giant leap.
      It's suddenly "inconceivability"
         in all directions, but without
         direction.

      Suddenly, there is nothing to
         any kind of conceivability.

      A concept can arise, but it
         has no ground anywhere.

      It's like a giant building floating
         in air with no support.

      But describing what it's like
         is extremely limited - all
         there are available are
         metaphors and pointers.
         And *it*'s not like anything,
         nothing represents it,
         and pointing has no "meaning" ;-)

      But, you *know* all this.

      Your *knowing* is the only reason
         that any of this even seems
         to make any sense at all.

      Now, suddenly, your *knowing* is
         alone, all that is.

      There is nothing to make sense of.

      Making sense of anything is simply
         "back" to the "one step-no step".

      The reason this is more than a leap
          is that it is not possible that
          meaning has ever been constructed.

      Suddenly, *knowing*.

      No meaning maker, no meaning
         ever *really* took any stage.

      The stage is only the appearance
         of the ghosts of meaning and meaning-maker,
         a cognitive arising that has nowhere to
         arise, because the only validation for the
         arising is the "validator" who is there
         because what is "being validated" assumes
         and is assumed by the "validator" (and vice versa).

      Suddenly, Michael Jordan and hoop are frozen
         as he is in mid-air.  He has nowhere to come
         down, nor can he go back.  There is no
         way to close the gap between the ball and
         hoop.

      Everything is still.  There is no motion.

      "Now" Michael moves, the ball swooshes
         through the hoop.  Everything "continues".

      Only, there is no "Michael" in Michael.

      There is no viewer.

      Movement "happens"  -- but as
         there is neither meaning nor no-meaning,
         one could as easily say "what happens?"

      Causality is undone "now", except as
         a language convention.
      Memory is undone "now", except
         as a perceptual convention.

      All these here word-trick pointers serve no
         purpose.  Their purposelessness is
         the fact of the exact meaning-no meaning
         dichotomy which is where we started.

      We are back at the one-step, only step,
          non-step ...

      Thanks for sharing your sincere inquiry,
          Terry.

      -- Dan

      JAN BARENDRECT

      But what could a teacher possibly teach?:)
      Another series of do's and dont's
      A list of what to think or what not to think
      Another variant of "you are +that+ already
      A new series of power stretching workouts

      Moldy old wine in newly perfumed sacks
      That yet could be tasty when poured with Love
      But just moldy without...

      There is nothing to add...
      What could a teacher teach but
      to ~learn~ from "whatever happens?"
      Which is "what is".

      But those calling themselves "teacher"
      would they know what that means?
      So what is taught?

      Another series of do's and dont's
      A list of what to think or what not to think
      Another variant of "you are +that+ already
      A new series of power stretching workouts

      When the Buddha was teaching, Buddhism was flowering
      When Sankara was teaching, Advaita was flowering
      The teacher was the teaching...

      What do a fishing rod and a lineage have in common?
      Both start with a handle
      But from there only get thinner...

      Happy exercising folks,
      at least it's good against depression...

      CHRISTIANA

      Friday, Feb 2
      Psalm 109 [p. 233-234]

      Be not silent, O You whom
              I praise!
      Many are the fears that envelop me,
          causing me to act without
              integrity.
      I become boastful that others may
                 not see me tremble,
          and I speak ill even of my
              friends.
      In return, I become alientated  from
              those who love me, and
          from You to whom I pray.
      Hear my plea, O Compassionate One,
          in your mercy, come to my aid.

      You appoint an angel to watch
              over me,
          to protect me as I face
              my fears.
      As I meet temptations, You strengthen me;
          my faith and courage increase.
      May the day dawn, when I become
              like the eagle,
          and soar to lofty heights!
      May I break the fetters of fear and
          welcome peace into my heart!
      May I grow in wisdom and abandon
              my self
          to You with radical trust, and
          may I suffer willingly to reach
              maturity of soul!

      May I open myself to change;
          to being guided by the Spirit;
          may I risk the unknown and
              live into the Mystery!
      Awaken me to the holy, to the divinity
              of all creation;
          O, that I might honor the sacredness
              of all life!
      May all the resentment and bitterness
              that live in me
          be transformed by your Love!
      Help me to recognize the unmet needs that
          have turned to desire and lust;
          create a clean heart within me!
      Let all that has been stored in secret
          come forth into the radiance
              of your Light;
          O, wash away my hidden faults!

      For You are kind and merciful,
          ever searching for ready hearts,
          and comforting those who cry
              out to You!
      Implant your gifts within my spirit,
          that I might offer them out
              to those in need!
      For, I long to do your Will, to
              co-create in joy,
          to become a beneficent presence
              in the world!
      Become like a garment wrapped
              around me,
          clothe me in the raiment
              of your love!

      Lectio Movements

      1. Read the Scripture passage for the first time.  (It helps to read it
      aloud softly.) What phrase, sentence or even one word stands out
      to you? Begin to repeat that phrase, sentence, or word over and
      over, allowing it to settle deeply in your heart.  Do any insights
      begin to arise?  Do not expand these insights right now; this can
      be done at a later time.  Simply return to the repetition of the
      phrase, sentence, or even one word, savoring it in your heart.

      2. Relish these words; let them resound in your heart.  Read the
      passage as often as you wish, learning these words by heart as
      you continue to repeat them in your mind.

      3. Let an attitude of quiet receptiveness permeate the prayer time,
      an openness to a deeper hearing of the Word of God.

      4. As you continue to "listen" to this phrase, sentence, or even one
      word, a prayer may arise spontaneously in response.  Offer that
      prayer, then return to repeating the word in your heart.

      5. When you find that you move beyond the meaning of the phrase,
      sentence or word to the gift of the divine presence of the Word, rest
      in God as long as the Presence or attraction remains.

      Note: These steps are not separate, but flow into each other.
      There is no hurry to finish any particular chapter or verse; it is more
      important to listen deeply to God's word to you at this moment.

      To extend the practice:  After the resting, take the phrase,
      sentence, or word into your daily activity and listen to it, reflect on
      it, pray over it, and rest in it as time allows during the day.  Allow
      it to become part of you.

      DAVID

      Greetings Holy One,

      All are included in Love's Presence! There is always an intimate,
      open, direct Communion with God. God always Answers in Love. It
      matters not what path you've traveled, be it A Course In Miracles
      ACIM, Christian Science, the Bible, the Urantia Book, the Infinite
      Way, Advaita Vedanta, etc. It matters not if you have followed Jesus
      Christ, Ramana Maharshi, Mary Baker Eddy, Buddha, Nisargadatta
      Maharaj, Krishnamurti, Joel Goldsmith, the Holy Spirit, etc., for You
      are the One.

      With the Glory of Love, Awakening Mind is willingness to question all
      beliefs, seeking not to change the world, but seeking to change one's
      mind about the world and self. The Call to Awaken is clear: "You are
      the Gift of God" This Awakening Mind Yahoo Group and its list of
      messages is devoted ONLY to this Experience, and thus the ONLY focus
      is the exposure and release of illusion so that Divine Love may be
      fully Experienced Now. Relevant questions, inquiries, and requests
      which focus on releasing error (forgiving illusion) and accepting
      Atonement (healing) are and will be addressed. Search & read the
      archives and/or have messages sent to your e-mail inbox. E-mail or
      voicemail and your questions will be addressed on the mailing list of
      the group.

      A link to subscribe to the group list is now on the Awakening Mind
      web site at:

      http://www.awakening-mind.org

      OR

      Join now at: