Wednesday, January 31

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2001

      A report appearing on the NY Times

      In Indian Rubble, Death Is Defied, if Not Denied

      January 29, 2001 THE AGONY By CELIA W. DUGGER

      BHUJ, India, Jan. 28 - The army surgeon had just finished
      stitching a 5-year-old girl's scalp back on her head in a
      makeshift open-air military hospital for earthquake victims
      today when two doctors from New Delhi, who had volunteered to
      help, rushed up to him. "We need an amputation set," Rajesh
      Malhotra, an orthopedic surgeon, said urgently. "Please help

      A grandmother had been trapped for 52 hours under a heavy beam
      that had fallen on her thighs when her home collapsed in
      Friday's earthquake. She was dying, the doctor said, and the
      only way to extricate her was to cut off her legs.

      Soon, soldiers brought Dr. Malhotra a small, shiny saw, still
      edged with blood from the last amputation, and bunches of
      bandages, syringes and other supplies. He and five other
      physicians - all from the country's finest hospital, the All
      India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi - jammed into a
      jeep to hurry to the woman's aid.

      The next two hours would give a vivid testament both to the
      bravery of the doctors and soldiers who were trying to rescue
      the quake victims, and to the frustrations of trying to do the
      job without needed equipment and resources.

      Army doctors at the hospital today ticked off things they need
      more of: retractors, forceps, surgical instruments, splints and
      oxygen cylinders. The volunteers from New Delhi would add more
      items to that list once the afternoon was over.

      The flood of patients slowed today, two days after the
      earthquake that flattened parts of this city of 150,000, largely
      because most of the people still buried in the rubble had died.
      But Mahesh Solanki, a 29-year-old tailor, had managed to keep
      his mother, Nirmala, alive.

      She had been on the ground floor of their three-story home when
      it caved in. A beam pinned her legs. She had been caught for
      more than two days, lying next to her dead husband.

      Mr. Solanki, limping himself and grieving for his father and two
      brothers, who had died in the collapse, gave her water and put a
      tin of biscuits within her reach. She hung on, begging him to
      get her out of that dark hole, illuminated only by a faint
      triangle of light from above.

      He tried to figure out a way, but the house is in the middle of
      a sea of rubble, where no crane or bulldozer could reach it to
      remove the heavy slabs of concrete that hovered above his
      mother. Nor was there any way to shift the beam off her legs
      without bringing the house down.

      Maj. Rajan Agarwal was searching for the living in the ruins
      when he found Mr. Solanki, saw that the only hope for the man's
      mother was amputation and took him to Dr. Malhotra, the
      orthopedic surgeon, for help.

      At 2 p.m. today, Dr. Malhotra and his team of doctors were
      clambering over huge piles of rubble to get to the family's
      home. It was only when they arrived that they realized the long
      odds they faced.

      "There's a gentleman lying by her side," Dr. Malhotra said in a
      surprised tone.

      Major Agarwal replied: "That's her husband, sir. The man is
      dead, sir."

      Not only would the doctor have to reach across her husband's
      body to reach the trapped woman, but there was only about six
      inches of space above her leg, leaving scant room for sawing.
      And he would have to operate on her while lying on his stomach.

      The doctor also looked nervously at the huge cracks in the
      walls, and thought of the strong tremors that had occurred
      periodically since the earthquake. "Are you sure this structure
      is safe?" he asked.

      "It hasn't moved since this morning," the major answered.

      Dr. Malhotra did not seem reassured. He began to wonder out loud
      about whether to go forward. He worried about the woman's
      position, he worried about performing the surgery lying down, he
      worried about the house falling down on them.

      The major reminded him, "Without this, she will die, sir."

      "I wouldn't like her to die in my own hands, but I'm agreeing to
      it only because. . . ." the doctor replied, his voice trailing

      So the job began. The doctors wanted a battery-operated electric
      saw, but there wasn't one handy. They called for a torch, and
      were handed a tiny flashlight.

      The saw, it turned out, was dull, so the doctors called to the
      soldiers to bring a knife. The men brought a long machete, with
      a curved blade that looked not only dull but dirty. The doctors
      poured a germicide on it, and passed it in to Dr. Malhotra.

      That, too, wasn't sharp enough.

      "Does anybody have a small hunting knife?" the doctor cried out.

      Instead, the soldiers brought another machete with a shorter
      blade. Dr. Malhotra tried that too.

      Finally, more than an hour after the surgery began, her legs
      were off. The doctors lifted her up and out of the house, and
      laid her on a stretcher.

      In a mournful tone, a young resident informed Dr. Malhotra,
      "She's not breathing, sir." Dr. Malhotra, sweaty and
      blood-splattered, seemed to sink in on himself.

      "I told her son she might die, but I was not prepared for it,"
      he said in the jeep on the way back. As the ride neared its end,
      he said, "A wiser man would have said no, and let her die

      But her son felt differently. He shook the doctor's hand, and
      told him he was grateful to him for trying to save his mother.

      Back at the military hospital, he wept over her body. When he
      said goodbye to Major Agarwal, who had done his best to save his
      mother, Mr. Solanki touched his forehead to the soldier's hands
      in thanks.

      highlight editor's note: contribute to the earthquake cause. see

      Music Link: http://www.mahadev.org/mp3/Shiv_Mahima/ Main Page:
      http://www.mahadev.org Free Indian (Shaivite) music in MP3

      Dear Lists,

      The musical selection has (finally) been updated on The Core,
      for February 2001. This music requires the RealAudio player, and
      at least 28.8k modem for streaming (the song can alternately be
      downloaded if you have a slow modem or connection).

      This month's selection is a very blissful piece of Shaivite
      Indian music.

      To access, please go to:

      Then scroll down the left side menu until you see "Monthly
      Musical Selection" and click on the link.

      If you have any problem with the above address, you can use the
      one below as an alternate (however, bookmarking the site below
      is not recommended because it is subject to change at anytime):

      Up until now I (naturally) felt this whole earthquake disaster
      was very sad. But until I read the following from the American
      Red Cross website (the last sentence), there were no tears in my

      --------------- Help already has been offered from around the
      globe, including assistance from the United States, which is
      sending a seven-member disaster response team and pledged some
      $5 million in aid. Teams from Switzerland, Britain, Russia and
      Israel already have arrived. Even India's archrival Pakistan has
      offered support. ---------------

      Dearest friends... why does it take a disaster killing
      thousands, to bring people together? When I read that Pakistan
      had offered support, only now tears came into my eyes.

      Is this the state of things? That "even archrivals" can offer
      support... probably mostly out of fear that they would need the
      same support, should an earthquake hit THEM...

      Think about that. The earthquake itself... just an event. The
      deaths... it has happened before, and was not preventable. But
      the hatred and rivalry, that is worth shedding large tears.
      *THAT* is preventable, and that is not being prevented.

      With great sadness,

      (sorry, i forget who sent this story:) This is by 'Ravi

      Enlightenment is like a joke! It's like a fish searching for the
      ocean. Once upon a time, there was a congregation of fish who
      got together to discuss who had seen the ocean. None of them
      could actually say they had seen the ocean. Then, one fish said,
      "I think my great-grandfather had seen the ocean!" A second fish
      said, "Yes, yes. I also heard about this." A third fish said,
      "Yes, certainly, his great-grandfather had seen the ocean." So
      they built a huge temple and made a statue of the
      great-grandfather of that particular fish. They said, "He had
      seen the ocean. He had been connected with the ocean."

      ---------------------------i like this story because it shows
      that when you don't know you are already connected to the ocean
      a bit of worship can point you in the right direction.

      Yes that's the Path - just being 'Aware' There's a great (short)
      book by Anthony De Mello titled "Awareness" that says it all.
      Loving thoughts, Peg

      (snip) Consciousness and unconsciousness end up being exactly
      the same thing. This is the perfect paradox; the observer who
      reallt isn't an observer because there is no duality, and
      nonetheless is an observer. Perfect self-remembering has no
      rememberer and nothing to remember. But in terms of
      communication, we call it self- remembering. Not Self with a big
      "S" or self with a little "s", or any of that nonsense that
      actually distracts and confuses what should be tacitly obvious.

      The unconscious only seems unconscious
      because the illusion of a separate conscious
      entity seemed to occur.

      The supposed "unconscious" not only grows hair
      and positions human bodies in space as they
      move, it also grows planets, the "laws of gravity",
      etc. It even "grew" the supposed "conscious
      entity" as a temporary formulation of
      emotion, memory, and self-referential thinking.

      The "unconscious" knows how to form space, time,
      matter, and energy from itself and of itself.

      This is similar to the centipede who could coordinate
      a hundred legs without thinking about it, only
      "moreso" ...

      -- Dan

      This 'illusion' might also be said to be simply the distinction
      between two different intelligences. Evolutionary intelligence
      is passing on the instructions of an organism adapted to its
      environment. (How geese navigate and migrate, salmon spawning..)
      The capacity for individual learning (which by the way also
      exists in the caterpillar) is the ability to change one's
      behavior based on experience. Hence, there is a presumed
      relationship between the increasing complexity of this capacity
      for individual learning with the identification of this commonly
      thought of as being a self with self-consciousness. Presumably
      this capacity for individual learning would or could persist
      even after the confusion of this individual learning capacity
      with identity of an entity was no longer the case.

      What you say here below is very poetic, so excuse my getting
      somewhat technical. I am just wondering about the source of this
      illusion, and I sorta prefer the word appearance to illusion.
      Most animals also have emotion and memory plus this individual
      learning capacity as part of their sentience equipment. So is
      this self-referential thinking simply due to more
      "intelligence"? What are your thoughts?

      Before a hair can grow
      A myriad of processes come into play
      Each of them having been added by trial and error
      What"works", continues
      What doesn't work is finished

      In a sentient world
      Trial and error isn't the same as randomness
      Look how a child finds out how to work with something "new"
      like a video game or a computer
      And look how adults can be more helpless than the proverbial child
      when faced with something "new".

      The "trial and error" of the child
      not different from the "big" trial and error
      not different from the unconscious
      Not different from the potential to learn and adapt
      and a joy forever

      I have lived on the lip
      of insanity, wanting to know reasons,
      knocking on a door. It opens.

      I've been knocking from the inside!

      Hi Gene, you said in response to:

      "Essentially what I am suggesting in my post, what I am
      experiencing now, is encountering the tonal presence of others
      when responding to their messages. I experience this as a
      Stream...of consciousnes that flows from the Still Point through
      the Central Channel...to integrate with my essence, emerging as
      a bodymind emanation, an awareness-energy field called "us". Are
      you tuning in to this?"

      G. Yes, of course. It is my constant experience, similar to what
      you describe.

      E. It's gratifying to hear this Gene. The nature of this
      "process" is rarely discussed so it is difficult to know whether
      others are "tuned in" or understand it. I should think a space
      where one can resonate in abidance with others, especially when
      one is having some difficulty "being there", would be of
      significant value. I would also think an open door for
      discussing any residual issues would be beneficial too.

      I seem to be heading in that direction and appreciate
      observations from different perspectives.

      Thanks, Ed

      A master asked two of his students a question:

      "What exists where you cannot be?"

      The first student answered, "My true Self."

      The master removed his sandal and delivered a mighty slap to the
      student's face.

      The master then required an answer from the second student.

      He replied, "My true Self."

      The master then removed both of his sandals and placing them on his
      head began to dance and sing!

      The koan: 'Who gained enlightenment?'

      Peace - Michael

      (editor's note: please see nds list for all the responses.)

      SPYDIR K

      Wisdom appears in such wonderfully
      delicious ways!

      All right children... you've been in da' house
      long enough! Go play! And remember, da' only way
      ta get ta heaven is ta take it wit cha!

      Singing joyfully in da' choir of Life,

      ...see, feel, know, perceive... white wolfe knows that this
      awesome poetry of yours is mine...what you write would not exist
      without us...which one are you of the two who is not two but
      one...it takes two to dance...non-duality is the present
      myth...i ask myself the same question and cannot find an
      answer....two koans for you clever fox (ah,see how i try futile
      as it is to win yo over)...

      ...what is the answer that does not beg another question...

      ...but, if you do not like that one enough....

      ...what is the question answers itself and to which no reply

      ~ Dave, I have dealt with depression and its debilitating effect
      often in the past, and have learned some things that I share with
      you now:

      -Depression is often a conglomerate of emotions. It helps to
      look into it more closely and feel them specificaly... then there
      is more ease in the sitting with and seeing through.

      -For all lingering emotional states I find it helpful to use this
      gentle sequence:

      Breathe and be present with the feeling.
      Ask "What's under this?"
      Breathe and be present with whatever shows up.
      Keep on layering down until .............

      This is a variation on the other question Ramana suggested
      for self-inquiry: From whence does this arise?

      I would second this. I find laying down and noting at first that
      there is the physical depression (for me my legs ache as
      sadness, and my jaw as anger) with a concomitant refusal to be
      with the feeling, which takes the form of some verbal or spatial
      abstraction of the pain; the abstraction is a form of denial of
      running away.

      Accept this refusal, say "thank you for symbolizing this pain,
      that is a help to point at it, but also let me be with it." And
      then be mindful of the pain. The usual is to alternate between
      the solid feeling and the abstaction. Welcome each and return to
      the solid feeling.

      The only way out is thro.

      Accupressure is helpful too. Points in the back, neck, stomach,
      butt. Haven't looked, but I'm sure there are many good websites.

      One is engaged in living.
      Counting percentage bullshit.
      'The human race' bullshit.
      'Becoming realized' double bullshit.