NDS Highlights for Sunday, 1/28/01

  • Mark W. Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2001
      Hi Folks,

      I'm sorry these are late. The change to Yahoo made me lose the ability
      to tell time and read calendars...

      Usually the postings on the NDS are pretty frivolous, focusing on a
      nonexistent state in which illusory boundaries are seen through,
      revealing our basic unity. I applaud Spydir for finally breaking
      through this flimsy veneer of spiritual good cheer and posting this
      serious warning, which FINALLY offers something we can really use.
      (sorry for the length of this editorial note - I seem to have caught a

      S: If you receive an email entitled "Badtimes," delete it immediately.
      Do not open it. Apparently this one is pretty nasty. It will not only
      erase everything on your hard drive, but it will also delete anything
      on disks within 20 feet of your computer.

      It demagnetises the stripes on ALL of your credit cards. It reprograms
      your ATM access code, screws up the tracking on your VCR and uses
      subspace field harmonics to scratch any CD's you attempt to play. It
      will program your phone auto dial to call only your mother-in-law's

      This virus will mix antifreeze into your fish tank. It will drink all
      your beer. (For Gods sake man are you listening?!?!) It will leave dirty
      socks on the coffee table when you are expecting company. It will
      replace your shampoo with Nair and your Nair with Rogaine, all the
      while dating your current boy/girlfriend behind your back and billing
      their hotel rendezvous to your Visa card.

      It will cause you to run with scissors and throw things in a way that is
      only fun until someone loses an eye. It will rewrite your backup files,
      changing all your active verbs to passive tense and incorporating
      undetectable misspellings which grossly change the interpretations of
      key sentences.

      If the "Badtimes" message is opened in a Windows95/98 environment, it
      will leave the toilet seat up and leave your hair dryer plugged in
      dangerously close to a full bathtub. It will not only remove the
      forbidden tags from your mattresses and pillows, it will also refill
      your skim milk with whole milk.

      And if you don't send this to 5000 people in 20 seconds you'll fart next
      time you're making love.

      Ok, you've been properly warned... Now, get back to your
      previous/present/future perception of the concept of reality, and enjoy
      the view.

      Spydir K

      Getting back to the nonduality stuff, Tim started a freeform riff::

      There is the humming of Beingness. Some call it 'the life force' -- some
      call it I AM.

      Beyond that is the witness of that Beingness. That witness is the

      When the 'desire to be' is gone, the Absolute only IS. The desire to BE
      is the root desire. All others branch from this one.

      Careful... if the Beingness goes, the body dies or becomes a robot.
      U.G. Krishnamurti calls it a 'calamity.'

      "You" don't want enlightenment. You don't want it. That's why you feel
      you don't have it.

      You have got to go. The root-cause of 'you' is 'the desire to be you.'

      Investigate the humming. The body is humming with 'life-force'. It is
      prior to 'me', it is consciousness.

      Consciousness is universal, but sustained by the body. Consciousness =
      Having a form.

      All forms are conscious.

      Who were you 6 months before your conception?

      Find out. Nothing else matters.

      Chuck responded:

      The same as 6 months after my death.

      Happy new here---and now,

      Chuck ;-)

      jb pitched in:

      Neither conception nor death does apply to "me", nor does the ever
      changing cloth of sentience...

      Jerry confessed:

      thank god the superbowl's on
      --jerry (former nondual guy with all the answers)

      And Gill went to the spiritual literature to seek guidance:

      Ex-Emperor: Gudo, what happens to the man of enlightenment and the
      man of illusion after death?

      Gudo: How should I know, sir?

      Ex-Emperor: Why, because you're the master!

      Gudo: Yes, sir, but not a dead one!

      From "Soul Food - Stories to Nourish the Spirit & the Heart' Ed. Jack
      Kornfield & Christina Feldman

      jb got in the last word:

      Yes, "eternity" is good enough - have fun and celebrate this little drop
      of transiency, instead of pondering over the deadly serious "eternally
      inevitable"! Take a vacation :)

      So, while the above was all good clean fun, I really like what James had
      to say on Sunday:

      Life is Perfect. At any time our lives are a refection of our
      understanding of life. If you feel that something needs to change, you
      must be the change you wish to see.

      James Traverse- Nisarga Yoga

      amen, Mark