Saturday, January 27

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2001

      the Work
      is only a slight shift of awareness
      from mind activity
      to silent beingness.

      There is both effort and no effort
      until the choice
      becomes obvious,

      and until choice

      There is the humming of Beingness. Some call it 'the life force'
      -- some call it I AM.

      Beyond that is the witness of that Beingness. That witness is
      the Absolute.

      When the 'desire to be' is gone, the Absolute only IS. The
      desire to BE is the root desire. All others branch from this

      Careful... if the Beingness goes, the body dies or becomes a
      robot. U.G. Krishnamurti calls it a 'calamity.'

      "You" don't want enlightenment. You don't want it. That's why
      you feel you don't have it.

      You have got to go. The root-cause of 'you' is 'the desire to be

      Investigate the humming. The body is humming with 'life-force'.
      It is prior to 'me', it is consciousness.

      Consciousness is universal, but sustained by the body.
      Consciousness = Having a form.

      All forms are conscious.

      Who were you 6 months before your conception?

      Find out. Nothing else matters.

      Is the purpose for spiritual practice to allocate one's time to
      be engaged in something one feels is more uplifting or through
      which practice one will achieve better mental and physical
      balance and higher states of consciousness? Or is the purpose to
      realize one's Non-Dual Self, That which is at the substratum of
      all experiences and in which all experiences are felt to be

      If the purpose is the latter, then coupled with all practices
      and meditations one should remain aware of who experiences the
      practice, the visions, the flows of energy, activities and

      An enquiry should be maintained as to who sees and from where
      the seeing arises, to recollect the seer (that part which is the
      source of seeing) in all experiences.

      In the Yoga Sutras of Patenjali, the third aphorism is "The
      purpose of yoga is to isolate the seer." The Seer is the Atman,
      one's own True Self, devoid of the images that appear in the
      field of consciousness. The Seer is the "I AM" that is mentioned
      as the Name or First Name of God in all Religions, which abides
      singly as Self, as That Consciousness (beyond time and space)
      that Lights each of us and the entire Universe in all its
      dimensions and planes throughout all time.

      As one practices various spiritual disciplines: sets of kriyas,
      postures, pranayamas, meditations, mudras, or practices of
      non-judgement, forgiveness, prayers, chants, sitting in
      stillness - the organs and glands and nerves (nadis) and psychic
      centers begin to purify and build up a charge, such that the
      mind comes into a single balance, and electromagnetic stillness,
      where there is a complete harmony devoid of any imbalance in all
      action and reaction. In this balance, there is a linkage sensed
      in the core of one's being between the individual and the
      Universal, wherein one's True Being is discovered to always have
      been in the Universal.

      This Universal Consciousness, one's True Self, is the Light that
      we see by. Therefore, in all practices there should be an
      awareness as to where the Light one sees by originates.

      This Seer, one's True Self, is that part of every thought and
      experience, where one says and has the impression of "I am ...
      this and that." and "This and that image and experience and
      object of attention are mine."

      When one is able to always enquire as to the source of this "I"
      - the seer in every practice, the Seer, or that "I" which is at
      the substratum of all that is seen, similar to the self
      illuminated screen on which a film or slide appears, or the pure
      diamond which takes on the color of the images it is places
      against, begins to manifest a churning in all the nerves, which
      begins to dissolve the notion and idea now prevalent in the mind
      that the sense of "I" is related to the images appearing in the
      mind and related sensations in the body. One begins to abide as,
      what one might call, one's Diamond Body, and as the sense of "I"
      is distilled from the mind, the body/mind dissolve in
      all-pervasive radiance of Self.

      At that time all the images in the mind, including the psychic
      centers and attention to all experiences seem to fade into
      brightness, similar to the light illuminating a picture on a
      screen is increased resulting in the picture brightening to
      white. The sense of "I" in relation to images dissolves and one
      abides in the Singularity of one's own True Self.

      When one recognizes that the purpose of the practice is to
      isolate the seer, and one first begins to enquire into that part
      that sees, i.e., the subject "I" versus the object of focus of
      attention, there may be the idea, as one extrapolates back, that
      it is someplace in the middle of the head. But it turns out that
      it is in the same location as where we point to when we say "I",
      which is to say, in the right side of the chest in the synod or
      pacemaker of the heart. When this Center (not a chakra or
      psychic center), the Hrdayam, is felt, it begins to pulsate "I"
      as "I" in a nerve between the Hrdayam and Sahasrara (brain).
      This pulsation of the Self dissolves the idea that the images
      impressions and experiences in the mind and body are related to
      the Self.

      There is an inversion in Consciousness, where, before there was
      an outer focus of attention, the outer including all inner
      experiences, after attention itself has been relinquished, and
      one abides as single simple Self pervading and prevailing over
      everything. What one was seeking through spiritual practice has
      found the seeker, and the seeker discoveries that It is their
      own True Self.

      In reality, the one calling themselves the seeker, engaging in
      various spiritual practices, cannot find the Self, but by always
      enquiring into the subject "I" - the part that sees, a link is
      established such that as the body begins to come into
      electromagnetic stillness, which balances and polarizes the body
      in the heart, the True Heart suddenly reveals Itself as always
      awake, and there is a sudden recollection of one's True Self.
      One becomes the essence of the (Sikh) Mool Mantra and abides
      singly as That.

      The mantra of anyone realizing their Self might be:
      Blesses am I
      In freedom and I
      I am the infinite
      in my soul
      I can find no beginning
      no end
      All is my Self
      All is my Self

      OD: If the idea seems appealing, it's a good idea (although
      'quality teachers' are hard to come by these days, even in India
      and such).

      MF: yes, even in Mother India. And equally rare are "quality
      students". There just aren't any Milarepas around today.

      OD: If a person tends to be a loner and is the type to 'go it
      alone' then it's quite possible to discover the 'inner Guru'
      (some call that Grace) and follow only that. The only purpose of
      an outer guru is to awaken the inner guru.

      MF: First off, i wouldn't say that the only purpose of the outer
      guru is to awaken the inner guru. As far as being a loner type,
      sure there are those who are organically disposed to that
      "path", though for the vast vast majority, it is just a part of
      psychology, of conditioning, more strategy to avoid "death".
      Everyone needs Help. External help, from other people. Even the

      MF: I would say that the surface play is as much Reality as
      anything else.

      OD: Depends on your definition of 'Reality'. And what you think
      "is" is <grin>.

      MF: What shows up on the "surface" is the indication of how well
      what is "below the surface" is integrated. There is no

      OD: True, but what's *BELOW* "below the surface?" Whatever That
      is, it is integrated, it has ALWAYS BEEN integrated, nothing
      needs to be done to 'integrate it'!! If what's 'below the
      surface' (a different definition in your case than in mine)
      isn't "integrated" then one needs to see a psychologist and
      engage in talk therapy, not pursue the 'spiritual'.

      MF: Ok, i am in no way talking psychology. Though i do think
      most people can use a good therapist for a while. We are both
      talking about the same thing "below the surface" (i think). Call
      it I AM, This, Just This, It, Is-ness, Oneness, God, That,
      Godhead, whatever. It really isn't below any surface, there
      really is no surface to be below, but we are into that analogy.
      Whatever we call it, the nature of identification, of the
      illusion of separation, does not allow the expression of this in
      human form. So to me this is the integration needed. Integrating
      the truth of the Nondual Reality, with our activity, our speech,
      our very breath. You said in a recent post, "it would *never*
      happen that anyone here on the list would kill or physically
      harm another member, among those who have even once glimpsed
      'the true nature'". This is an example of the integration of
      "the true nature" which is "below the surface" with our actions,
      though i would say that one glimpse is not enough. The
      integration takes some time.

      The journey to theWay is one of eliminating beliefs, opinions,
      and labels that do not apply to and are not required by your own
      person which is identified as theSelf independant of all other
      things (including the sense of self).

      This is the 'essence of being' without need, desire, or craving
      for validation or value. It is self-evident... or not. The 'ego
      traps' are here.

      <hint: rather than offer your beliefs, opinions, and labels to
      others, ignore these personal 'perceptions and judgements' as
      you are either an excellent living example of you or not; there
      is no need for discussion and there is no in-between. Simple.>

      If done correctly, only the issues of life and death will remain
      to reconcile. Consider, 0=1, nothing containing all things and
      nothing yet, nothing and all things are not contained by any
      'single thing'.

      Time exists to get you from here to there but is disconnected
      from any concepts you may or may not have regarding living and
      dying. All time is perfect and can not be changed once it is

      Try this at home with a partner or in a student/teacher model.
      Ask questions that do not refer to or require the responder to
      describe, provide an opinion of, label or compare people.

      PS... My Super Bowl Prediction? The commercials are going to be

      "What is" : beyond assertion
      or denial, affirmation or
      negation ...

      Disillusionment is the door.