Friday January 12, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2001

      JERRY

      Advaita or nonduality is a name or symbol, just as a teaching is a
      symbol. Everything I'm drawn to is a symbol for nothingness and in
      everything is a symbol for nothingness, which is a symbol for something
      else. Everything stands for something else. Nothing is what it is.
      That's the dream. Because everything is nothing other than what it is.
      Then flying out of the dream comes, like Neo in The Matrix. It's not
      that the dream or the Matrix is unreal. It's that everything becomes
      real, or what it is.

      JERRY

      Hi Ron,

      Nice to meet you. I understand Metta is a very good and penetrating
      person to come into close communication with.

      Hey, I know about the beer and barstool thing. I used to live in San
      Diego when I was around 19 and me and len croteau would smoke dope and
      talk about how science had to have all the answers and there was nothing
      that science couldn't explain, worrying about the draft and gulping it
      at a beer bar in Logan Heights (?) where an older (32?) woman named
      Sharon would serve us even though we were underage. Who'd come in but a
      guy named Lion who told us he was so horny he could even have sex with
      his wife and he always talked about God and we'd tell him there was no
      scientific proof of God so how could there be God? It's impossible. But
      Lion knew there was God and he'd laugh at our attempts to show the
      impossibility, but we knew WE were right and felt sorry for him. We'd
      get stoned, smoke Kools, listen to Spirit in the Sky, drive to Ocean
      Beach and piss in the sand with girls standing around. Oh there was so
      much to learn and so much to forget in the decades to come. I find it's
      the forgetting what I've learned that's the hardest. It never stops. Ooo
      I just felt a draft coming through the salon...

      The REAL reason NDS hompage is so big!

      IT comes from big big Mind, not from small mind.
      Those illusory creatures who are 'still in' small mind
      find the page way to big.

      Actually, Jerry is way to advanced to be a programmer?!?!

      I love the NDS home page. It is a fluid space that constantly changes.
      The links in the page inevitably lead one back to the home.

      All grace and beauty to Jerry and Dolores for creating the NDS Salon
      and home pages.
      Love eternal-Michael
      ~~~~~~~

      Hi Michael,

      Thank you for remembering Dolores. When I'd sit in my room with books
      and notebooks all around, staring out the window, knowing nobody, it was
      always Dolores who had the confidence that there'd be a reaching out and
      contact. "Yeah, well maybe so, Dear," I'd say. "You wait and see," she'd
      say.

      Jerry

       C Harrington wrote:

      ---------------------
       If I answer it.... dualism pops up again......but I will type
      word/symbols for the fun of it anyway.
       The "I" for which I am searching is the subjective knower who cannot
      become the object of its own knowledge.  It is obvious, then, that "I" can
      never know who "I" am.

      --------------------
      > It looks like I can't know whether I am or
      not.
      > It looks like the idea that I am has no basis in
      observation.

      > andrew
      ----------------------
      chuck:

      We cannot observe the the observing self; but, we can experience it
      directly.  It has no defining qualities, no boundaries, no dimensions.  It
      is not an object.
      Beyond the observing self is unperceived, inthinkable and
      indescribable---This is Atman (or IT). In short, the inner "I" (atman)
      cannot  be described in terms of anything known.  Every time we attempt such
      a description, it retreats before us: as the Upanishads put it, Neti
      neti---"Not this, not that."  For the mind can never formulate a rational
      idea of what transcends reason---*pure consciousness*---any more than light
      can illumine itself or fire burn itelf or teeth bite itself.  Pure
      consciousness is like light.  Since it is idea-less, image-less, and
      concept-less, it is able to to entertain ideas, images or concepts; *yet* it
      cannot be described in terms of *any* of these.  Just as light is the
      object-less ground of illumined objects, the knower is the un-known ground
      of all that is known.
      The Theravadan Buddhists describe this state as neither  perception  nor
      non-perception.  The Taoists say simply "Isness", but  "that whereby we
      perceive".  The Upanishads say "Thou art That".  It is One without a second.

      DAN

      Here all along, nobody has named me

      Here all along, just with
           no name, no self-reflective
           sense of having a presence.

      Presence itself never knows itself
           as having a presence.

      Believing that I can have a presence,
           I take a name and give names
           to everything.  Now, this presence
           can make its presence felt, and
           distance has been created.

      When background and foreground
          are the same, there is no distance,
          and I don't need or have a name.

      Love,
      Dan
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      CEE

          tried and tried to know myself
          looked exactly
          everywhere

          (finding nothing is the great surprise!) yet

           joy of joys and

          wonder of wonders

          i am always here

          in playful silence,
          cee

      Beam me up, Wolfie.
      Turn me over, this side is done --

      I'm unfolding by enfolding.

      No more to be seen, I'm everywhere now.
      Everywhere now, I'm only nothing.

      I'm snowing.
      Let's go and play in me.

      Here's a godhat for the godhead.
        I'll be a cloud drifting through.
        I'll be the drifts and then through.

      Ah, it's good to be through.
      Really through.

      Love,
      Bartholomew

      P.S.  Which hat do you want?
               Bartholomew knew.

      OMKARA

      (note: here "the above" has no reference to previous post by Dan)

      If you really believe the above (you are serious), then you're
      operating under a very deep fallacy:  The fallacy of "spiritual
      progress."

      Nobody is ahead or behind anyone else, except maybe as far as "head-
      knowledge" goes (which is worthless).

      If you are a "seeker," PLEASE understand that until that seeking
      ends, one way or another, your "path" is taking place on a
      treadmill.  Walking, you go nowhere.

      There is nowhere to go.  Understanding this is to "gain" EVERYTHING.
      To "miss" (as Osho is so fond of saying) is to founder like a
      drowning man, forever (eternally) tossed about on the waves of the
      illusion "someday, but not now."

      Love,

      Omkara

      Hello Everyone,

         I believe I have just had a deeper understanding about this whole
      situation. That has come and gone before me a hundred times. But
      this time its gone deeper. More meaningful.  And basically that is,
      that there is no one to understand what being enlightened is all about
      No one to get or hold onto any understanding about it. Or that there
      is even a deeper place to understand from.

         So simple yet is so powerful the illusion that the one who asks
      these questions is already one and the same with the answer.

          Yes?
      Paul
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      This is beautifully said. And 'yes?' is the fuel for other
      possibilities.

      --jerry

      TERRY MURPHY   sour miso

      from Paul Reps, "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones"

      51.

      The cook monk Dairyo, at Bankei's monastery,
      decided that he would take good care of his old
      teacher's health and give him only fresh miso, a
      paste of soy beans mixed with wheat and yeast
      that often ferments.  Bankei, noticing that he was
      being served better miso than his pupils, asked:
      "Who is the cook today?"
         Dairyo was sent before him.  Bankei learned
      that according to his age and position he should
      eat only fresh miso.  So he said to the cook: "Then
      you think I shouldn't eat at all."  With this he en-
      tered his room and locked the door.
         Dairyo, sitting outside the door, asked his
      teacher's pardon.  Bankei would not answer.  For
      seven days Dairyo sat outside and Bankei within.
         Finally in desperation an adherent called
      loudly to Bankei: "You may be all right, old
      teacher, but this young disciple has to eat.
      He cannot go without food forever!"
         At that Bankei opened the door. He was smil-
      ing. He told Dairyo: "I insist on eating the same
      food as the least of my followers.  When you be-
      come the teacher I do not want you to forget
      this."