NDS highlights for Saturday, Jan 6

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2001
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      TERRY shares a poem from Hafiz:

      *The Mule Got Drunk and Lost in Heaven*

      The
      Mind is ever a tourist
      Wanting to touch and buy new things
      Then toss them into an already
      Filled closet.

      So I craft my words into those guides
      That will offer something fresh
      From the Hidden's Tavern.

      Few things are stronger than
      The mind's need for diverse
      Experience.

      I am glad
      Not many men or women can remain
      Faithful lovers to the unreal.

      There is a kind of adultery
      That God encourages:

      Your spirit needs to leave the bed
      Of fear.

      The gross, the subtle, the mental worlds
      Become as a worthless husband.

      Women need
      To utilize thekir superior intelligence
      About love

      So that their hour's legacy
      Can make us all stronger and more clement.

      Sometimes a poem happens like this one:

      The mule I sit on while I recite
      Starts off in one direction
      But then gets drunk

      And lost in
      Heaven.

      hafiz/ladinsky

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      To reach the Mahamudra group click:

      http://www.egroups.com/group/mahamudra

      --uarelove

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      GENE POOLE:

      Early morning outlook

      Yes, as I 'look out', I see all around me, in 360-degree,
      three-dimensional splendor, all of this.

      No matter where I look, I am the one who is looking, and what I am
      looking at is distributed equally all around me. It is as though I am
      in the middle or center of a vast sphere, whose bounds I do not see.

      If I look up or out, what I see is gradations of form and emptiness;
      objects in space. I know (or have been told) that all 'form' is more
      space than matter; and that all matter is actually motion; motion
      appearing as form, and all form in gross motion, (as in) the spin and
      orbit of planets and stars.

      So what is 'there' is actually, motion in emptiness, 'like unto'
      'thought in awareness'.

      Movements in awareness, thoughts in emptiness, what is it?

      It is this, looking out, seeing this three-dimensional splendor,
      seeing movement in emptiness, as though from the center point of a
      vast sphere.

      If this is movement, what is stillness?

      Stillness is the ground from which movement operates.

      Movement (only) is, in relation to stillness, and is known by
      stillness.

      So we have two 'poles' at the most basic level of Being; stillness
      and movement.

      Each is known by the other, as heat is known by cold.

      But as heat and cold are also one, known as 'temperature', so also is
      movement and stillness one, known as... what?

      Movement and stillness, the most basic, is known as 'Yang' and 'Yin'.

      Yang moves in Yin, movement in space. Yet, space births movement,
      space being the stillness which is the ground of movement. So,
      emptiness originates movement, it is its mother, and the child of
      emptiness is movement.

      Child of emptiness
      Moving incessantly
      Seeking your mother

      Whose womb
      You have never left
      When will you arrive?

      Never having left
      Unable to arrive
      You spin ;

      Is your name Quark
      Photon
      Electron?

      I observe your agglomerations
      Called 'matter'
      Distributed in space,

      Every agglomeration
      Seeking something
      All matter attracting

      All matter,
      A seeking
      Known as 'gravity',

      Is there security
      In mass, even knowing
      That enough mass

      Equals great heat
      Launching you again,
      Another round of movement;

      Attaching again,
      Again launched
      As movement

      In space;
      Relations of objects
      scheduled, predictable

      Relationship
      Of seeking particles;
      A platform

      From which
      To explore space
      Seeking mother

      Limitless womb,
      Space for all children;
      No-one is ever born,

      Yet,
      Everyone
      Is ever-born.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      GENE & JERRY:

      Stillness knows,
      Movement does not know;
      Stillness knows movement.

      Movement informs stillness,
      Stillness space
      In which movement moves.

      Space of stillness
      Experiences movement
      In the most intimate ways,

      As interior phenomenon
      Called 'emotion'
      And 'thought'...

      Emptiness cannot touch
      Movement,
      Though it surrounds it always;

      Either blessed
      Or condemned,
      Is space;

      Movement
      Being either curse,
      Or blessing...

      If curse,
      Space contracts,
      Gripping pain;

      Or if blessing,
      Space expands,
      Letting go...

      Blessing or curse,
      Difference is:
      Contraction or expansion.

      Space knows movement,
      Movement does not know;
      Emptiness knows object.

      Emptiness of space
      Contracting, is movement;
      Space becoming movement,

      Loses awareness as movement,
      Gains awareness as space;
      Space is aware of movement,

      All movement being in space,
      All movement being in stillness,
      Awareness knows movement;

      Does awareness
      Know emptiness
      As well?

      Jerry:
      I'm sitting here in the early morning (for a Saturday) and savoring
      your
      sensibilities of space, emptiness, stillness. How can anything be
      known
      by anything? The richest knowing is the last moment of balance before
      the tightrope walker plunges into the abyss. The deepest knowing is
      the
      scream on the way down -- OM -- through the emptiness.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      DAN and SARLO:

      Sarlo:
      That depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

      Dan:
      Cute, yet profound, President Sarlo.
      I am voting to impeach you,
      although whether you "were"
      ever President at all certainly
      depends on what the meaning of
      "is", is.

      Sarlo:
      Indeed. I have nothing to be but being itself. And let me say this
      about
      that. I did not, will not, would not and even could not have sex with
      that
      woman.

      Dan:
      "Is" properly speaking can't be said to
      have a meaning, as all meaning
      depends on "is".
      Without "is", there can't "be" meaning
      or meaningful communication.
      And without "is not" there can't be
      negation of meaning.
      And without negation of existing meaning there
      can't be new meaning.
      So "is not" is as necessary to (new) meaning, by
      being able to make meaning meaningless,
      as "is" is, by being able to make present
      meaning be.

      Sarlo:
      And furthermore, "meaning" is meaningless without "meaninglessness."

      Dan:
      "Is" and "is not" are profoundly playing "partners"
      allowing life, death, and the ever-present
      birth of meaning from/as unknownness.

      I live where "is" kisses "is not" ...
      where "is not" is, and "is" is not ...

      Sarlo:
      I believe i've got it:

      ["is" <=> "is not"] => all logic is based on assumptions that have
      nothing
      to do with reality, therefore resistance is futile. Take me to your
      leader.
      Fizzle! Sput! Awwwwk!

      Announcing a new egroup:

      Sri Arunachala

      If you have in interest in Mount Arunachala click
      http://www.egroups.com/group/SriArunachala
      then look upper left and click subscribe.

      The group is for anyone who has an interest in
      Mount Arunachala.

      After subscribing please feel free to post:

      *The Teachings of Bhagavan Ramana about
      Sri Arunachala.

      *Stories about Sri Arunachala

      *Your experiences regarding Sri Arunachala

      *Practical information about visiting Arunachala
      both for short term visits and also for long term
      living such as:

      *Where to find short term and long term
      accommodations.

      *What to bring, what to wear.

      *Tips for foreigners who wish to visit or live in
      India
      Culture, Customs, etc.

      *Where to find services in Tiruvannamalai
      i.e. internet connection, a good doctor (MD) etc.

      *If you have visited Sri Arunachala and
      Sri Ramanasramam please tell us about your visit.

      *If you have or are living long term near
      Ramanasramam please post and tell us about your
      experience.

      *Sri Ramanasramam news and events

      *Information regarding the status of efforts
      to preserve the area around Mount Arunachala.

      <snip>

      Sharing practical information regarding long and short

      term visits to Tiru, Sri Ramanasramam and
      Mount Arunachala is one of the purposes of
      the Sri Arunachala egroup.

      Therefore if you have any such information please
      do join the Sri Arunachala group and post such
      information.

      Devotees of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi are welcome
      to use this group as a forum to communicate with
      each other and share their experiences etc.

      To join the Sri Arunachala egroup click
      http://www.egroups.com/group/SriArunachala
      then look upper left and click subscribe.

      If you have any difficulty subscribing to the group
      send an email to:
      Infinite_Freedom@...
      saying you would like to subscribe to the
      Sri Arunachala egroup and include your e mail address.

      For more information about
      the new Sri Arunachala egroup click:
      http://home.talkcity.com/GaiaWay/Infinite_Freedom/ARUNACHALA.html

      WHITE WOLF:

      ...white wolfe has been in one of his long, dark winter nights for
      sometime now...he has been hiding in a snow cave listening to the
      dialogue between his mystic mind and sacred heart...

      ...love manisfests itself in all creatures...the non-dual arises from
      and embraces the causal...the causal arises from and embraces the
      subtle...the subtle arises from and embraces the psychic...what are
      the moral responsibiites of those those who have arisen from whatever
      level to whatever level to those who are ahead and those who are
      behind...without the lower there is no higher...without the higher the
      lower ceases to have purpose and meaning...without the love of the
      higher for the lower the higher ceases to exist..the lower must
      respect the higher...the higher must cherish the lower...to leave the
      attachments of self and embrace detachment in becoming the Self is to
      experience eros blossoming into storge blossoming into phylia
      blossoming into agape...it is to walk the stations of the way of the
      cross...greater love results in greater compassion results in greater
      suffering...the first noble truth is suffering...

      "Many individuals intuit the Over-Soul (or higher) and yet unpack that
      intuition, interpret that intuition, in terms merely or solely of the
      Higher Self, the Inner Voice, the care of the Soul, interior
      Witnessing, the Universal Mind, pure Awareness, transcendental
      Consciousness, or similar such Upper-Left Quadrant terrms. And
      however true that aspect of the intuition is, the unpacking leaves
      out, or seriously diminishes, the "we" and the "it" dimensions. It
      leaves out the social and cultural and objective manisfestations: it
      fails to give a seamless account of the types of community and social
      service and cultural activity that are inherently demanded by a higher
      Self; it ignores or neglects the changes in the techno-economic
      infrastructures that support each and every type of embodied self
      (whether higher or lower or anything in between); it ignores the
      overall objective state of affaris or objective reality that does not
      detract from Self but is an unavoidable aspect of that Self's very
      manifestion.
      The idea seems to be that if I can just contact my higher Self,
      then everything else will take care of itself. But this fails
      miserably to see that Spirit manifests always and simultaneously as
      the four quadrants of the Kosmos. Spirit (at any level) manifests as
      a self in a community with social and cultural foundations and
      objective correlates, and thus any higher Self will inextriccably
      involve a wider communityexisting in a deeper objective state of
      affairs. Contracting the higher Self is not the end of all problems
      but the beginning of the immense and difficult new work to be done"

      -Ken Wilbur, Sex, Ecology and Spirituality

      ...we are all called to be bodhisattvas and to manifest
      bodhicitta...^^~~~~

      further up and further in,

      white wolfe
      Meditations on Pentecost in the Age of Misery

      I sit and await stillness and silence

      in the false darkness of the clouded sky at twilight.

      Slowly the blue and white canvas melts, fades

      into emptiness.

      The symphonic chorus of the universe resolves itself

      into tranquility.

      I sit in the infinity of limitless space,

      the eternity after one breath ends and before another begins.

      Suddenly, as the last darkness that will ultimately envelope the first
      light,

      He who is the Sacred Heart,

      as if suspended on a Crucifix of teeming blue light,

      She who is Avalokiteshvara,

      sitting as if upon the moon floating in the empty firmament,

      are before me.

      I ask him,

      Why must I suffer

      He says to me,

      So you will understand Love.

      I do not reply.

      He says,

      You must love all my Creatures as you love true Self.

      I say, I do not understand

      He says,

      You must die to self.

      You must take up your cross and follow me.

      You must live in the world but not on the world.

      You are not the Lord of Creation but its Steward.

      I am the Son of the Father who is the Light of the Universe. You must
      become as I am.

      Then and only then will you have Peace.

      I am the Way of Love.

      I say to her,

      What must I do to stop suffering

      She says to me,

      You must cleave to the light but hold to the dark.

      You must become an empty vessel.

      You must allow the suffering I send you to carve you into a vessel of
      Love

      Then and only then will you be able have compassion on all Creatures.

      I am the Daughter of the Mother who is the Darkness of Creation. You
      must become as I am.

      Then and only then will you have Joy.

      I am the Womb of Compassion.

      I say to them,

      I am weak.

      As One they speak to me,

      We are strong enough to suffer for you so that you may join us in
      Love.

      We are here to Love you until you join us in Compassion for all
      Creatures.

      Touch our Sacred Heart and you will become Love.

      Call our Secret Name and you will become Compassion.

      As One they speak to me.

      You are not yet one of the gods.

      You are something more than just a creature, but you are still a
      Creature.

      You are one among the many, but the many are the one.

      Just as We are not one, but two, not two, but One.

      Until the one is ready to surrender to the many this remains the Age
      of Misery.

      Humility is the beginning of the endless journey from Suffering into
      Joy.

      Let go of self interest. Awake! There is no self. Take up your
      Cross and follow me.

      The fields are ripe to harvest. There is much work to be done before
      the end of time.

      They are gone.

      I remain pierced, wounded by light.

      I am still, enveloped by darkness.

      She who is the Bodhisattva.

      He who is the Christ.

      Their names and faces are many through the ages.

      In stillness and silence I remain,

      remain dark and empty.

      The emptiness of the false dawn washes into the fullness of endless
      days.

      The symphonic chorus of the universe lifts its voice in jubilation of
      a new beginning.

      I am in the in between time of eternity.

      The time after one breath ends and before another begins.

      And now I am not the same as I was.

      I have been called to a new life and given a new name.

      I have been called on a journey and there is no going back.

      Lamb of God have Mercy upon us.

      Kwannon Bosatu show us the way of Compassion.

      Most Sacred Heart of Jesus grant us Peace.

      Make us worthy of fulfilling the Promise of Creation.

      My name and the name of the journey are the same.

      And that name is Love. I fall into your arms my Immortal Beloved.

      As it was, is now, and ever will be world without end.

      Mark Christopher Valentine

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      DAVE:

      A short rant:

      This week, more than once, the question of "conservation of energy"
      has come
      up (for me), directly or indirectly, with perhaps the central focus
      being on
      "being able to observe and identify when the energy is being
      misdirected".

      Perhaps one of the most difficult things to do is to get to a point
      where
      one has a conscious awareness of ones actions in order to be able to
      evaluate them. Indeed, it is like being in a dream where it seems that
      the
      events are so absorbing that one doesn't even think to evaluate what
      is
      going on. I remind myself in one instant to maintain awareness, and
      less
      than 4 minutes later, I'm "out" again!

      This effort to maintain awareness, seems to pass through phases, where
      at
      first, it's pretty much a forced effort, and with a pretty low success
      rate.

      This low success rate either inspires a greater effort, not to let
      something
      beat you, or it is dropped. In my case, I looked for little tricks to
      help
      remind me to redirect my focus, walking a certain way, triggering off
      of
      particular events etc. The pure effort of redirecting focus to
      awareness
      probably had more effect than actually evaluating my motivations for
      doing
      things. I guess it showed me that I spent a great deal of time
      immersed in
      whatever much more limited but densly draining focus. To me anyways,
      it was
      more important that the focus was liberated, than in what puny
      processes
      where occupying it.

      Could be a good point. Is it really important where I waste my time,
      or is
      it enough to realize that you are wasting it?

      One could say that simply dismissing like that, could mean that one is
      not
      fully processing. On the other hand, that which goes un-processed,
      will come
      back to haunt you, it does eventually need to be processed. In an
      atmosphere
      where one is more continuosly aware of what is going on though, this
      processing will happen more fluidly. A point however, which needs to
      be
      emphasized here is "of WHAT, should we be aware", and this is
      important. If
      we are aware of what process is going through our minds, and how that
      relates to experiences in the past, or aware of how "I" get so
      distracted so
      easily, this is a direction of energy away from the reality of
      "being".

      What I think this says, is that to me it seems more important to get
      where one is able to maintain a more consistant awareness of just
      being.
      (Obviously a whole set of explanations are needed here to expound the
      beneift of this as the prime focus). The principal reason for
      directing the
      focus of awareness in "just being", is because that's where it's been
      identified that the truth lies.

      Sometimes, there is so much effort at evaluating the self that the
      focus
      overrides or hides
      the objective.

      I remember a time here in traffic. I had been advancing well in my
      ability
      to maintain awareness.
      All of a sudden I saw myself cursing someone who had cut me off. I
      realized
      that I had been torn from my connection, and automatically in the
      "reconnection", perhaps in 1/4 of a second the whole act of fingering
      someone was evaluated, processed and seen for all of the infutility
      that it
      represented, not so much as a mentally processed and meticulously
      evaluated
      phychological event, but as a distraction from something infinitely
      more
      imprtant. The act was so pathetically puny, I had to laugh. And to
      think
      that I let it tear me away like that!

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      CHUCK H:

      Stepping *gently* into the abyss (emptiness), "I" feel as if "I" were
      form
      observing the abyss and then suddenly there is no form and there is
      only the
      the abyss (emptiness). The sudden insight and recognition that this
      Void,
      this No-thing-ness, this Isness, this Thusness is the abyss within Us.
      You/We/Us are the abyss (emptiness). Just a nothing thought. Boy,
      that
      Nothing is really Something! ;-)