addition to Jan 2-3 highlights

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2001
      In Tuesday/Wednesday Highlights I meant to include the following:

      OMKARA DATTA

      Just recently, there was an experience of 'everything as mySelf.' To
      put it simply, I realized that there is nothing separate, that
      everything perceivable or conceivable *IS* mySelf... even thought,
      even concepts.

      A Self that includes everything cannot be the 'small I'. Realizing
      that looking at a chair, I am seeing myself (the chair is mySelf).
      Hearing a song play, it is simply hearing Self as music. More
      accurately, I AM EVERYTHING PERCEIVED OR CONCEIVED. Words are
      inadequate here, because there is nobody doing any perceiving or
      conceiving, only a single 'essence' in which everything is a sort of
      mirror.

      The way I came to this realization is quite simple. Mathematically
      it could be expressed as "A =
      B and B = C" -- where "A" is
      subject, "B" is perceiving (seeing, feeling, thinking, hearing,
      smelling, etc.) and "C" is object. However, there is no
      subsequent "therefore A=C," because this understanding is not a
      thought process but a realized truth. And ultimately, if A=B and
      B=C, then A, B and C are a single "thing"... there is nobody standing
      outside to describe This, or conceive of This...

      (Initially) understanding myself to BE perceiving, and the perceiving
      to BE the object(s) perceived, the duality of subject/object ends.
      With nothing remaining but Subject, there is no subject either, since
      there is no object or "opposite pole" to compare this Self to. The
      presence of anything requires its opposite. If "CHAIR IS MYSELF,"
      then where is "CHAIR" and where is "MYSELF?" All that remains
      is "IS." Every word can be boiled down to "IS." *IS* is the sun
      around which everything else rotates.

      Someone stated recently that perhaps "Self" is no longer a useful
      term, because it may be too easily confused with the 'small self'
      or "I." Disagreement. Everything, absolutely EVERYTHING is imbued
      with Identity. The "Self" is Pure Essence of Subjectivity, All-
      Inclusive. These words are mySelf, the writer is mySelf, the
      Internet is mySelf, the transmission of packets is mySelf, all who
      read the words are only mySelf. The "monkey mind" is mySelf, thought
      is mySelf.

      If everything is mySelf, nothing is threatening and everything is
      lovable (or IS LOVE). There is literally nothing separate. There is
      no 'self' to perceive 'Self'. "Maya" = "Brahman."

      How can thought be an obstacle, when thought is only mySelf? Whether
      thought is present or absent is irrelevant. Self is ever-present,
      thought comes and goes. Everything is only This Awareness; there can
      be no distractions, because (for example) anything focused on is
      Awareness attending to Awareness. Even "getting lost in thought" is
      Awareness getting lost in Awareness.

      The true realization is that there is no possibility of escaping
      realization: there is no getting away. Not that anything has to be
      discovered or found; quite the contrary -- Self is IMPOSSIBLE TO
      ESCAPE. Such a realization is undying bliss.

      Truly there is nothing separate from mySelf. This cannot be
      adequately expressed in words, but must be seen/understood/realized.

      Love,

      Omkara