Wednesday, December 27

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2000
      by Dr. Joanna Macy
      contributed by Gill Eardley

      short-tailed albatross
      whooping crane
      gray wolf
      peregrine falcon
      hawksbill turtle

      In Geneva, the international tally of endangered species, kept up to
      date in
      looseleaf volumes, is becoming too heavy to lift. Where do we now record
      passing of life? What funerals or farewells are appropriate?

      reed warbler
      swallow-tailed butterfly
      Manx shearwater
      Indian python
      howler monkey
      sperm whale
      blue whale

      Dive me deep, brother whale, in this time we have left. Deep in our
      mother ocean
      where once I swam, gilled and finned. The salt from those early seas
      still runs in
      my tears. Tears are too meager now. Give me a song...a song for a
      sadness too
      vast for my heart, for a rage too wild for my throat.

      grizzly bear
      brown bear
      Bactrian camel
      Nile crocodile
      American alligator

      Ooze me, alligator, in the mud whence I came. Belly me slow in the rich
      primordial soup, cradle of our molecules. Let me wallow again, before we
      your swamp, before we pave it over and blast it to ash.

      gray bat
      marsh mouse
      blue pike
      red kangaroo
      Aleutian goose
      Audouin's seagull

      Quick, lift off. Sweep me high over the coast and out, farther out.
      Don't land here.
      Oil spills coat the beach, rocks, sea. I cannot spread my wings glued
      with tar. Fly
      me from what we have done, fly me far.

      golden parakeet
      African ostrich
      Florida panther
      Galapagos penguin
      Imperial pheasant
      Utah prairie dog

      Hide me in a hedgerow, badger. Can't you find one? Dig me a tunnel
      through leaf
      mold and roots, under the trees that once defined our fields.

      My heart is bulldozed and plowed over. Burrow me a labyrinth deeper than

      thick-billed parrot
      zone-tailed pigeon
      desert bandicoot
      Southern bald eagle
      California condor
      lotus blue butterfly

      Crawl me out of here, caterpillar. Spin me a cocoon. Wind me to sleep in
      a shroud
      of silk, where in patience my bones will dissolve. I'll wait as long as
      all creation if
      only it will come again and I take wing.

      Atlantic Ridley turtle
      pearly mussel
      helmeted hornbill
      sea otter
      humpback whale
      monk seal
      harp seal

      Swim me out beyond the ice floes, mama. Where are you? Boots squeeze my
      clubs drum my fur, the white world goes black with the taste of my

      sand gazelle
      swamp deer
      musk deer
      Asian elephant
      African elephant

      Sway me slowly through the jungle. There still must be jungle somewhere,
      heart drips with green secrets. Hose me down by the waterhole, there is
      in my hide. Tell me the old stories while you can remember.

      fan-tailed flycatcher
      flapshell tortoise
      crested ibis
      hook-billed kite
      frigate bird

      In the time when his world, like ours was ending, Noah had a list of
      animals, too.
      We picture him standing by the gangplank, calling their names, checking
      them off
      on his scroll. Now we also are checking them off.

      ivory-billed woodpecker
      brown pelican
      Florida manatee
      Canada goose

      We reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running
      the animals exiting.

      Your tracks are growing fainter. Wait. Wait. This is a hard time.

      Hi Marcia,

      I'm still struggling to get a handle on what I'm trying to say about
      HB. I think part of Gene's conversation with John may say it for me
      better than I am managing to say it myself. The HB can and does often
      push participants to see things they don't want to see, and the trick
      to making good use of that is to allow oneself to see those things
      without judgment. (I mean without judging either oneself or others in a
      negative way.) For example, I think your experience was suggesting that
      you were the person in a position of power, crucifying your son. There,
      I've said it, now please know that I am not saying it with any
      judgement of you, your son, Jesus, HB, or the story line. I say it just
      to see if it resonates, and if so, can you change whatever it is that
      prompted your psyche to offer up such an experience? (This has most
      likely already happened long ago, so it's non of my business.) I offer
      all of this as a means of understanding the power of the HB for those
      who want to clean house.

      So, this is what I read today that prompted this email...

      GENE POOLE: Yes. When inner thresholds are exceeded, action is taken,
      automatically. That is, unless abiding has been inserted and hard-wired
      at at deep level of the structure. If that is the case, the 'abide'
      impulse will interrupt the aforementioned action. By this method, are
      thresholds 'reset'.

      The point in entirety, is to make our 'controls' available to conscious
      awareness. This process can take time. But the rewards are immediate,
      proportional to the sway which one's 'story' exerts upon one. It
      becomes a matter of recognition of 'will' VS 'habit'.

      So, if I may try to paraphrase, or perhaps I am even altering the
      meaning to suit my own needs... I hear Gene saying that we have
      conditioned responses that kick in when we get threatened, and when
      they kick in, we suffer, but if we really wish to, we can learn to
      dismantle them. To do so requires that we practice abiding, which is
      allowing that which sets the conditioning in motion to occur and just
      ride it, rather than allowing the conditioned response of defending
      ourselves against the noxious stimulus to happen. If we do so enough,
      this can become a natural habit, much like the conditioning itself has
      been a long term habit, and when it does, we can take more and more of
      the noxious stimulus without needing to defend. Eventually, we can let
      go of the conditioning entirely, which is to turn over control of our
      lives to God (or consicous awareness for those who dislike the
      anthropomorphism of the word God.) That is to say that there is a
      movement by the entire universe towards unity, and our personal
      struggle to be independent human beings is counter to that movement,
      but it is really just a set of habits which we have developed to defend
      ourselves against an apparently cruel world, and if we can find a way
      to dismantle these habits, we can learn to let the universe have its
      way with us, which turns out to be what we were looking for all along.
      For me the HB generates increased noxious stimuli, that I can use to
      practice abiding. The problem with it for me is that I get prepared for
      such an effort, and so it becomes something I do during the breathwork
      and I need to learn to extend it into the rest of my life, which
      produces plenty of noxious stimuli for me to work with.

      Well, thank you Marcia for helping me to this point of understanding.

      Love, Mark

      The way I saw the experience is that Jesus was a real person with a
      real mother who suffered enormously as she watched her son being
      crucified. Until then, Jesus was the third person of the trinity. There
      was lots more to the experience but I really how awful it would be to
      see your son being crucified. His and her sacrifice was brought home to

      When Jesus said to me that I was Peter and it was upon this rock that
      he was going to build his church, it kept bringing it back to me. I am
      always looking "out there" for answers. He kept saying in effect..."It
      is YOU, dummy."

      The nonpersonal level was where we got to but it was through the pain
      of the personal that we got there. When we were there was when we went
      from place to place in the world and he showed me and taught me about
      customs and people.

      I was Mary/Marcia. Mary didn't crucify her son. It is not the mother
      that crucifies.

      G: Hello once again John. Once again we make conscious, what is 'always
      going on':

      J: Potentially.

      G: Well, perhaps a movement in the 'right direction', an effort to come
      to peace, with the inevitability of our nature, and knowledge of our

      G: Yes, understood now. Indeed, individuation is movement towards Self,
      leaving identity dissolving like a sugar cube in a cup of hot tea.

      J: Yes, the normal apprehension is towards using the term
      'individuation' as the creation and/or maintenance of 'John Duff'.
      This is not what was meant.

      G: Yes.

      G: Yes. Identity is an assemblage of pieces, each derived from the
      world-dream. Maintenance of identity necessitates revisiting the
      world-dream, and seeing it as _real_, thus to validate identity,
      piece by piece. The ongoing thread on 'nondual activism' shows how
      thin the line, between perception and reaction, and how easy it is
      to lose track of 'cause and effect'.

      J: Yet if I may say, once again, that this calling or felt-ness towards
      'nondual activism' makes perfect sense [to me]. Threads are bounded,
      it seems, by disclaimers of what I would term 'non-identification'
      to this felt-ness. New words are sought out and employed so as align
      'correctly' with the flavor of dispassionate 'action' and abiding in
      the moment.

      Nuance of 'affect' amongst myriad alternatives in the moment towards
      some 'apparent' outcome, however disclaimed.

      All of this, to me at least, is natural. No apologies nor
      justifications need be expressed. Nor 'purity' supported.

      G: In essence, understood. My experience also. I would point out, the
      well-known temptation to proceed up the avenue of 'virtue'.
      'Activism' will to some, imply 'changing the world into a better
      place', even 'bringing people to (nondual) salvation'. While some of
      us may understand the differences, the words themselves are
      predefined in common usage.

      As Buddha said: "There is no better world, this is a better world".

      I would rather belabor this point, than cruise along, hoping for the
      best. Activism gives birth to defense, commonly; the last thing I
      personally want to be doing, is 'defending the faith'.

      G: Yes. Any 'action' emanating from 'I', will be at least partially
      designed to reinforce the given reality of the tribal primate. That
      is, unless self-checking is in place.

      Again, the concept of 'helping the world' comes to mind. In my
      experience, the world is kept in it's painful discordant configuration
      by 'me'; this I have seen. But when I am 'okay', the world is 'okay';
      in fact, the world comes to me, and wants to escort me to the ball.

      J: Understanding both points here and relegating to both
      'appropriateness', depending on 'where one is'.

      One might find that 'being at the ball' was, in part, a function of the
      impulse of 'helping the world'. That, and a certain emotional integrity
      that is not satisfied with the filling, but thin gruel, of
      self-satisfaction. Further realizations bail one out of this 'noble'

      G: Yes, your points are taken and understood.

      Nondual realization eliminates the difference between self and 'the
      world'; consequently, the impulse to 'help the world' is seen as
      self-preservation, or better, as implementation of the One Imperitive,
      that Being, One Conscious Living Universe.

      I simply suggest the 'noble' impulses exist or we would not experience
      them. This seems to me a basic enough observation. That one is capable
      of dissociating from these impulse seems basic also.

      G: True enough, but we must recall, that such understandings "could be"
      a simple metaphor, for the enactment of the One Imperative. Thus,
      even 'identity-bound' humans would have a role to play, albeit

      Try as we might, however, we are left to circle this topic with the
      'reasons' for their existence, be it programming, divine impulse, Maya,
      birth experience or no reason at all. This reasoning process a function
      of our socialization.

      G: Reason is one thing, 'vision' is another.

      It might be useful [for me] to ask which, then, came first?

      Noble impulse and then the conceptual support? Or conceptual framework
      giving rise to noble impulse. My impressions would lean towards the
      former. Since we see reflections of such impulses and attempts at
      reconciliation or effort directed at their realization through time.

      G: Human concepts, are the convenient language of metaphor, the
      strongest language that the 'sleeping human' can tolerate. Only in
      'fantasy' such as '2001, A Space Oddesy', do humans dare open their
      eyes to a more direct message. And all messages come from 'within',
      from the 'human unconscious'.

      So, from my POV, all levels of 'knowledge' exist at once, for the
      human, but what is commonly accessed, is only what does not threaten
      the 'integrity' of the world-dream, thus allowing the continuation of

      Identity is the 'dog in the manger', displacing awareness of the One

      G: Yes. In this sense, 'activism' is 'remembering'.

      J: Yes, remembering.

      J: Use of 'my' in this context in light of 'actually gone' is
      understood. What is not as clear from a practical perspective is the
      constancy of 'all the time'. Here is where the concept of
      responsibility enters [for me].

      G: 'All the time' is perhaps glimpsed, if not deeply understood. From
      the glimpse, one may lay-in a course to follow, for times when the
      guide-on is not visible.

      J: Yes, Gene. This is observed. Hence my aversion to speaking of
      absolutes, and more recollection and awareness of relativistic
      models of 'where one is at any given moment'.

      This assumes a personal trail of 'Boolean breadcrumbs', metaphoric or
      otherwise, that lead one to be invited to the 'ball', and which
      [breadcrumbs] may or may not be of use to others.

      Whether 'others' truly exist or not presupposes existence in some
      absolute station. I would hazard this is not the case for most of us,
      though, from experience, one may always 'know' this at some deeper

      G: Well said.

      One may also observe that intermittent may be the case. One may also
      observe a tendency towards more continuity against a temporal backdrop.
      In the absence of such continuity one may say 'be responsible' as to
      the state of 'Thy will be done', personally lacking, as I do, less
      colorful phraseology.

      G: Hmmm...

      J: A loaded reference to 'remembering' as 'activism'. Baggage is

      G: Well, more continuity, or could we say, more 'constancy'?

      J: Certainly, 'constancy' is more appropriate.

      G: Incontinent travelers...

      J: ??!! I feel the need to quickly excuse myself...I'll be right

      G: ....need to recognize that 'constancy' could apply to either of two
      states, one comfortable, the other not.

      J: I feel better.

      To this point, however, is it not possible that [at least] a third
      alternative exists? That is, both comfortable and uncomfortable?

      G: Obviously so, and the movement is between, never resting, always
      seeking 'equilibrium', or a state of perfect non-activity, or

      G: So again, a glimpse of the guide-on, allows plotting a course; and
      as the brickbats fly, to walk this course without flinching (much),
      is abiding.

      J: I would say this is a characterization of comfortable and
      uncomfortable at the same time. Guide-on being necessary to not
      flinch too much. The personal containment of opposites. The first
      and necessary step in the eventual annihilation of opposites. Or
      not. Opposites may be abided, since, at one level, they exist.

      G: Yes. To abide the opposites, is to rest in movement.

      G: Eventually one reaches the actual thing glimpsed; this is
      'verification', not only of method, but also of one's overall
      integrity. From this 'point' onward, method and integrity are
      basically one and the same.

      J: To method and integrity, a toast, during this holiday season.

      G: Indeed; Cheers!

      G: Yes. When inner thresholds are exceeded, action is taken,
      automatically. That is, unless abiding has been inserted and
      hard-wired at at deep level of the structure. If that is the case,
      the 'abide' impulse will interrupt the aforementioned action. By
      this method, are thresholds 'reset'.

      The point in entirety, is to make our 'controls' available to conscious
      awareness. This process can take time. But the rewards are immediate,
      proportional to the sway which one's 'story' exerts upon one. It
      becomes a matter of recognition of 'will' VS 'habit'.

      J: A clear statement of reliable method actuated by integrity.

      G: Yes, in a manner of speaking. It is 'noise VS signal', and becomes a
      matter of fine-tuning the discriminator. But this is not to say,
      that the 'noise' is bad or worthless. I could say, that the noise is
      simply the fallout of the computational complexity of an immense
      system. Maturation seems to have to do, with growing ability to
      discriminate, without 'condemning'.

      J: Yes, tremendous quantities of emotional energy are made available
      through 'not condemning'. The necessary fuel for awareness on an
      emotional level. In my observation it is only the pressure of this
      non-attached emotional fire that can support acquiring the signal of
      the guide-on. The guide-on tonal frequency is quite different than
      that of 'condemning', or a host of other vibrations in that

      We speak little of requisite fuels.

      G: Similar, is Hawkins' equation: "Power VS Force".

      See: <http://www.uni-verse.net/Website/Powerforce.htm>

      This concept and book, have my very highest recommendation.

      Understanding also that tremendous amounts of this fuel are available
      abiding in the moment. To perceive this, however, takes a certain
      amount of fuel not acquired in this manner. It takes gold to make gold
      - to recount a phrase. Not spending this energy in an unprofitable
      manner is one way to keep gold.

      So strange it is, on reflection, to feel many things at once. Yet so
      natural and fulfilling to have it so.

      G: YES! Although one may have preferences, one also realizes the
      universal nature of things. Sometimes this leads to the willingness
      to 'try on' something which is outside of the usual range of

      J: One truly "get's one's life to live" in this process. What was
      [persoanlly] impossible before, now becomes possible. Where there
      was fear, dicomfort, complacency and self-calming now there is a
      sense of wonder, adventure, fun and the miraculous.

      G: Yes. I am not only a 'native' here, but this is actually my very own

      J: This, to me, is poignantly and oft asked, yet an unimportant
      question. Perhaps I am missing some point in dismissing it so.

      G: That is why I 'asked' it. It is indeed a pertinent question, yet, it
      can indeed be dismissed! "Whom to blame?"

      J: It is a question that, I feel, must be answered before it can be
      dispensed with. The answer is important, as you say.

      Blame being an early-on answer. The expenditure, unnecessarily, of
      energy better used for other purposes. This from experiences in the
      business world. Externally, at least, we can see that blame redeems or
      changes nothing, only perpetuating an unpleasant or unfortunate

      G: Yes, it is the roughest essence of the 'preservation of identity'.

      Projecting this internally, can we see a similar pattern? We should be
      able to. Since there is really no difference between the inside and the
      outside, it's all one. One a reflection of the other.

      G: Yes. In that hologram produced in that reflection between the two,
      is the world of ambivalence which we inhabit. Surely, it can be
      seen, that choice is the essence of Being; any movement undertaken,
      actuates iteration of entirely new possibilities.

      G: Better the work of freedom, than the work of staying 'asleep'. One
      leads to joy, the other to pain.

      J: Opening then, workless, to freedom.

      J: As always, thanks. Warm regards on this cold but glorious day, John

      Relaxing in the safety of my own delusions,

      Gene Poole

      Shamanism is not taught nor can it be learned. A shaman leads by
      example only and it's spoken words are few. The shaman is a spirit that
      teaches you to be a spirit-being in a physical-plane and, as such, one
      must also be at peace with physical-beings who have yet to meet their
      shaman who will show them the inward journey to self-reconcilation. For
      some facing the fears of the world will seem small to the fears that
      lie within and thus many return greatful for the 'problems' they have
      and the subsequent corrections.

      Thus, these teachings can not be transmitted simply by words and
      actions alone and the journey is only picked up when one drops their
      attachment to what they think they are and replaces it with what they
      are. For some, this is a hell of sorts (bardos if you prefer) and we,
      the shaman, must shelter them where we can from those that would
      otherwise aim to betray or seek vengence.

      Shamanism is a state of being at peace with life and death which is
      best achieved by detaching one's self from what is words (all is
      language) and what is real. Shamanism and it's so-called magic is not
      generated by potions or spells, networking or running in a gang; these
      are just distractions from your own true self.

      Unlike the 'mystery word/name' in christianity that suggests that if
      one knew the word of the name of God/Spirit that it could be summoned
      to do the 'bearer of the name's bidding'.

      Nice try.

      Real spirit knows that the 'first consciousness of being' could not
      name it's self as all other being would be a part of (division of) the
      word. Thus, there is no name of God/Spirit beyond the name we give it
      and this, no matter the simplicity of complexity is no substitute for
      the real thing.

      Earth is your destiny and life is the arms that you must learn to trust
      but above all else be true to your self and know that I am God and I am
      in control. Not of you... of my 'self'.

      And approaching death's final door I was surprised to see two... one
      marked 'Pepsi' and the other 'Coke'.

      I went left.

      Learn it now, learn it later, makes no difference. GP

      Mainly Christian contemplative perspectives, dual/nondual? Have a good
      day, John

      --- John Metzger --- riverjohn77@...

      "There abide, faith, hope and charity, but the greatest of these is
      charity." -St. Paul

      The four noble virtues are Love, Joy, Compassion and Equanimity, but
      the grestes of these is Compassion. -Mark Christopher Valentine

      ...without charity, without compassion for yourself there is no love of
      the Self...with love of the Self there is love for the Other...without
      love for the Oher there is no other, there are no Creatures...the
      other, without creatures there is no self....with no self there is
      neither chariity nor compassion nor love...without love there is
      nothing....with love there is nothing coming somthing becoming
      creatures becoming you...return to Nothing and remember you are

      The Vessel

      “All created things cry out, each according to their manner, and say:
      ‘This is he who abused us.’ The earth says, ‘Why may I not
      instantly suffocate him?’ The air says, ‘Why do I not deprive him of my
      benefits?’ Hell says, ‘Why do not my flames devour and
      inflict on him a thousand tortures?’”

      Because we love neither the gods nor the One God,
      Because we honor neither the spirits nor the Great Spirit,
      Because we respect neither our mothers nor the Immortal Goddess,
      we do not love, honor or respect even ourselves.
      It is no wonder then that we do not know how to love Creatures.
      It is no wonder that having mutilated our world
      we seek to conquer and destroy the universe.

      What will happen to white wolfe when mankind is no longer?

      Because we cleave to the Masculine and deny the Feminine,
      Because we hold to the Bright and reject the Dull,
      Because we keep to knowledge rather than wisdom, morality instead of
      even though we have become Creation’s shining star,
      Our flame has shifted from blue, to white, to orange to red.
      We are imploding Creation and becoming its black hole.
      In our passion to subdue Creatures we destroy that which we would

      What will happen to womankind when white wolfe is no longer?

      If we would take up our Cross and become Stewards,
      If we would start to walk the Middle Way,
      If we would follow the Masters who are our Teachers,
      Maybe then we just might discover the Providence that shapes our lives.
      Maybe then, if Fate smiles upon us, we will come to see ourselves in all
      Maybe then, if our mothers and the Goddess are merciful, we will know
      how to Love, Honor and Respect all Creatures.
      Maybe then, but only then, we will remember how to live in the fragile,
      tender, soft universe without annihilating it.

      What will happen to white wolfe when mankind is no longer?

      When and only when we submit to the gods and the One God,
      When and only when we yield our spirits to the Great Spirit,
      When and only when we surrender as Lovers unto the Beloved,
      Then and only then will we know the Universe is a vessel for Spirit,
      Then and only then we will find the Salvation we so earnestly seek,
      Perhaps, at our end, then and only then, will we discover our beginning,
      And we will begin to cherish all Creatures in ourselves for the first

      What will happen to womankind when white wolfe is no longer?

      I ask you to ask yourself,
      What, what I ask you, do you think will happen?

      Will the vessel be shattered and a New Age begin?
      A new beginning without white wolfe and humankind?
      The gods and the One God are not sentimental.

      The Vessel belongs to Spirit not to humanity.
      The Vessel can be either empty or full.
      The Vessel can be shattered but not destroyed.
      Will Spirit remake the Vessel of the Universe?

      Will Spirit make empty the Vessel to fill it anew once more?
      Will Grey Wolf and Humanity no longer run in on sweet Mother Earth?

      Or will we turn, empty ourselves of ourselves, become simple once again,
      like an uncarved block once more, and allow Spirit to carve us into a
      glorious vase?

      Will we allow it to happen that white wolfe and humnaity are no more?

      Lamb of God, who takes away of the world, have mercy on us!

      Mark Christopher Valentine

      Fellow Nova Scotian Dustin LindenSmith keeps a daily journal and has
      recently begun including portions of it on the LiveJournal website
      where David Hodges keeps his well-known journal. Dustin's journal may
      be accessed at <http://www.livejournal.com/users/iamom> Dustin's web
      page is at <http://www.nonduality.com/dustin.htm>

      Jerry Katz

      While "I" sometimes get the impression that "I" am the activist who
      decides my actions, I soon realize that the action is always begun
      prior to the decision to act. If the identified "me" as the actor and
      decision maker is indeed an illusion, then there is no such person as
      an "activist" who decides what acts will be undertaken. By that
      understanding there is no such thing as willful "activism"...only
      nondual activism.

      I've been under the weather with the flu for the past several days and
      am wondering if this makes any sense. I suppose it can be argued that a
      decision is an effect that precedes the cause, like light that leaves
      the chamber before it enters. For sure I didn't decide to become
      delirious, or did I? :-)

      Ed Happy Millennium

      This is how I see it. As I am in my ordinary sleeping state, I am run
      by life. I am not present to my life. I am not awake to life. Sometimes
      I remember myself and I am present. I know from this state of being
      present that it is possible to truly act, to make a decision and to
      carry it out. But as I am, I cannot stay present. I have no presence.
      In the state of not being present, the act is always begun prior to the
      decision to act. The decision comes as an afterthought to explain the
      action. That doesn't mean that real action is not possible. It just
      means that I am not acting.

      Hi Gang,

      I was just outside, and I noticed that the borogoves were all mimsy. I
      can't tell from here... Have the momewraths out-grabed?

      Just curious, Mark

      Hi Mark,

      Our borogoves mimsied last week, but we are still waiting for the
      momewraths to outgrabe...will keep you posted. Beware the jabberwock my

      Twas it brillig? If you do not see any slimey toves, don't worry, the
      Jabberwock is nigh!