Friday December 8, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2000
      Christmas thought

      By Pieter S. Samara
      ---

      The Non-Dual Teachings of Christ:

      "I am the Light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in
      darkness, but shall have the Light of Life." John 8: 12

      "All things were made by him, and without him was not anything made that was
      made." John I: 3

      'In him was life, and the life was the light of men." John I: 4

      "And the light (Christ) shineth in the darkness; and the darkness
      comprehendeth it not." John I: 5

      "That (Christ) was the true Light, which lighteth every man that is born into
      this world." John I: 9

      Christ to John in Revelations, Ch I: 8: "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the
      beginning and the ending" sayeth the Lord, "which is, and which was, and
      which is to come, the Almighty."

      "These things I have spoken to you that in me you might have peace. In the
      world you shall have tribulations: But be of good cheer; I have overcome
      (conquered) the world." John 16: 33

      "I give you a commandment: Love one another." John 15: 12, 17

      "For I have not spoken of myself, but the Father which sent me, he gave me a
      commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know his
      commandment is life everlasting." John 12: 49

      One might think from reading these passages that Christ always speaks as the
      Atman and of the Father as Brahman, or as the Self realized being One in
      relation to the All pervasive and timeless Self. Just as Krishna tells Arjuna
      that he taught Aditia (the Sun), Christ states:

      "Verily, verily, I say unto you, before Abraham was, I AM." John 8: 58

      One can see from the way Christ always refers to the Father ("I AM THAT I AM"
      Ex 3:14), as the doer of the miracles and all that He says, that regardless
      of His apparent actions, that He has no sense of being a doer, that all He
      says and does just happens, because He abides in the Father. Consider the
      following passage, where Jesus is speaking to the Apostles in John Ch 14:

      "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: No man cometh to the Father but by
      Me. (vs 6)

      If you had known me, you should have known my Father also: and from hence
      forth you know him and have seen him. (verse 7)

      "Philip said to Jesus, 'Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for
      us.' (verse 8)

      "To which Jesus replied:

      "Have I been so long with you, yet you have still not known me, Philip? He
      that has seen me has seen the Father; therefore, how do you say, 'Show us the
      Father'? (verse 9)

      "Believe you not that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words I
      speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwells in me He
      does the works. (vs 11)

      "Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me, or else believe me
      for the very works' sake." (verse 12)

      Probably, the most profoundly direct instruction Christ gave concerning the
      teaching of non-dualism is from

      "The light of the body is the eye: Therefore, when thine eye is single, your
      whole body will be filled with light...." (Luke 11: 34)
      This non-dual teaching is easily paraphrased as follows: The part of you that
      sees (the seer, one's Self) is your true light. Therefore, if you hold to
      (i.e., abide as) the seer (subject-"I") singlely or exclusively (i.e.,
      relinquishing attention to thoughts) you will have illumination - or what
      some call the "enlightenment of the whole body". This is the exact
      instruction given in the non-dualVedanta tradition, with the same described
      outcome, as related above.

      See the the Non-Dual Christ Consciousness described in the Vedic Verse and
      Avadhut Gita verse below, very similar to the above records:

      ---
      Vedic Verse
      In the highest golden sheath is the Godhead, unsullied, indivisible;
      pure is it, the Light of lights. He who knows the Self knows it. Neither
      sun nor moon nor stars shine there. Neither lightning nor fire finds
      there a place. With the radiance of that Light alone all things shine.
      That radiance illumines all this world.

      Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 2.2.9
      Song of the Ever free
      Avadhuta Gita

      Chapter 7 Verse 4

      In this state of realization, how can the Avadhuta
      consider whether he has a body or not,
      or whether he has attachment or not?
      He himself is the immaculate, immovable, innate Reality
      -infinite as space.

      today is a very sacred day for white wolfe as a Catholic. it is the Feast
      Day of the Immaculate Conception. Mary is one of the images of the divine in
      whose arms i take continuous personal refuge. She is one of those icons whose
      mystical, numinal power comes from the outside but resides at the
      center...today i celebrate her...^^~~~

      further up and further in,

      white wolfe
      ---------------

      Two Colors of the Beloved

      (snipped)
      and say, just this

      You are the last blue lupine to gently, coolly sway

      in the final mountain wind drifting down form heaven,

      down to the deep, rich fertile valley which is the earth.

      But then again you are the first scarlet columbine

      of the original spring to send its sweet fragrance floating,

      warmly upward, on the first valley breath wafting to heaven

      You are, for me, the first blossom and last flower.

      Or, if you prefer, I am for you, the last breeze and first breath.

      Together we are, were, will be, or always have been

      the first, last, present spring, the everlasting spring

      that has only a middle for it has no beginning nor end.

      The spring that is the alpha and the omega of being.

      When I sing to you I cannot remember, comprehend, understand

      where you begin and I end, where I am and you are.

      When you sing to me, words lose meaning and become

      the sweet music, the food of love, the sound that is love

      I live in a dream that is life, a life that is a dream

      Because I am full with a banquet that has never been served.

      I would touch your deep heart's core with my toys and tools

      these fragile words, these shards of a broken mirror

      These mere words that will not stay still and convey,

      translate, the shadow of feelings I have for you into reality

      a reality fresh and new, and rich and old, visible and hidden,

      A reality that has no discernable order to we who are ghosts

      The only way I can find to say this just now is to say

      There are only two colors in the world when I talk to you

      One is cool, the other is hot, rather, one is hot the other is cool.

      You are the burning star in my dark universe.

      Holy Mary, Queen of Heaven, Lady Royal Blue

      Sweet Mary, Empress of Earth, Lady Crimson Red

      Pray for us who have recourse to Thee.

      Mark Christopher Valentine

      dear nds:

      ...white wolfe has been asked offline by a member who prefers to remain in
      the shadows about Lectio Divina? he thinks there might be others interested
      in this ancient practice of the Benedictines...here is the correspondence...

      > Greetings White Wolf.
      >
      > I hear what you say about not being a teacher. I don't consider myself a
      > teacher, either, although I do believe we are all both teacher and student
      > depending on the situation.
      >
      > I am interested in your practice. You mentioned Lectio Divina the other
      day
      > on NDS. I know that it has to do with contemplating Bible passages, but
      that
      > is about all I know. I recently read the book Open Mind, Open Heart by
      > Father Thomas Keating and discovered I have been doing Centering Prayer
      for
      > the past 3 years without knowing it...so I wonder if you could tell me
      about it.?

      dear brother:

      your email almost got lost in the all the junk mail in my box...Lectio
      Divina is a fourfold form of Contemplative Prayer as practiced by the
      Benedictines designed to bring us in direct communion with the Godhead
      through the use of sacred scriptures/writings....it consists of
      Lectio...reading out loud a passage of sacred text until a certain phrase
      calls itself to our attention...Meditatio...the silent ruminating upon or
      repetition of the phrase...Oratio...the experiencing of the text in our
      consciousness, in our minds and in our hearts...Contemplatio...the
      realization that the text has lead us to the Godhead itself....when
      practiced faithfully it is an invaluable tool to bring the mind to silence
      and the heart to stillness so that we are ready to receive the
      infinite...^^~~~~

      further up and further in,

      white wolfe

      Safari

      Silence is a giraffe,
      whose head stretches
      to eat the leaves
      of Unknowness.

      Presence is a gazelle,
      who leaps without
      touching the ground.

      Reality is a lion,
      who's roar immediately
      hits the totality of
      one's being without
      any possible defense.

      Stillness is a river,
      nourishing all animals
      in the savannah.

      Space is a gift,
      giving all their lives
      and movments, without
      ever itself living or
      moving.

      Love,
      Dan

      From: c s shah <

      This destruction of the ego/mind complex while yet alive in the body is
      realization. It happens naturally at death and samskaras which are yet to
      fructify cause us assume yet other bodies.

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      Such a definition reminds of an early post
      http://www.egroups.com/message/NondualitySalon/156
      (thanks for the reminder Tim) and here the issue would be "define the
      ego/mind complex" before defining "realization".

      For some the "ego" is but the sense of "I" whereas the potential to perceive
      and respond can rightfully be defined as "ego" too.
      Both perceptiveness and responsiveness require mind and in a "realized one"
      certainly thoughts will arise when required (as a response).

      Hence, a more "modern" description of "realized" would mention the fact that
      no entity is left to express itself (emotionally) in a sense of "I did..., I
      saw, I enjoyed, I suffered etc."; such an expression would only be used for
      the sake of purposely indicating a distinction that otherwise can't be made.
      Also would be mentioned that no new emotional impressions can be made:
      whatever emotion is experienced, it is "now" and leaves behind in memory only
      events; memory without tags like "warm" or "cold" as "warm" and "cold" are
      stored as events of interpretation, without the possibility to "revive" any
      feeling.

      Without an entity that can enjoy/suffer/act (feel itself a "target" with the
      illusion that it can react), the remaining samskaras serve the purpose of
      leading a happy life,the issue nirvana/samsara, bondage/liberation being moot
      and upon death of the mind-body, nothing really happens.

      It is also possible that body-consciousness disappears altogether and in that
      case, it is no longer possible to feel hunger, thirst, pain etc.
      The Buddha also made these distinctions and called them "nirvana with
      substratum remaining" (body-consciousness present),and "nirvana without
      substratum remaining" (body-consciousness absent). Needless to say, the
      Buddha was "familiar" with both :)

      Love,
      Jan

      Hi List,

      You know, reflecting on this first NDS list message of Jerry's
      (below), it reminds me of the first radio transmissions... a
      single "dit-dit-dit..." in an ocean of radio static.

      Think about it - "This is a test message. Thank you."

      Doesn't it bring up an image of a lone operator keying a spark-gap
      transmitter, a lone voice in the wilderness, a quiet "beep-beep-beep"
      in an empty universe? Look at what's occurred since that
      simple "This is a test" posting -- *FORTY SEVEN THOUSAND MESSAGES* in
      a two-year period, with an exponential growth curve.

      Consciousness seeks a vehicle for expression and manifestation, and
      it seems to differentiate *exponentially* once begun.

      Where was this list prior to its creation? It was first created "in
      a particular mind" of course, before it was expressed "outwardly" as
      a mailing list. But the messages *are* the list. It makes no sense
      to say "this list contains messages."

      ***

      A universe absolutely silent and empty, not yet even existing.

      A telephone is lifted... there is only static, no dial tone. A radio
      is switched on, and on every band, nothing but a soft "hiss."

      This is "I AM." Beingness is that soft "hiss" that is us. The
      borderline between beingness (consciousness) and... what?

      Bless you, Jerry, for that test message. It would have been more
      than enough.

      Love,

      Omkara

      > From: Jerry <umbada@...>
      > Date: Sun Aug 16, 1998 00:42am
      > Subject: Test
      >

      > This is a test message. Thank you.
      >
      > Jerry

      Buddha's Enlightenment Day

      ( Ed. note: This date is a Japanese custom, not a universal one.)

      dharma talk
      What Is Rohatsu?

      Japanese for 'December 8,' Rohatsu marks the morning Buddha achieved
      realization. Every year, we have the same chance.
      By Shodo Harada Roshi

      Every year when December approaches, monks everywhere tremble in
      anticipation of the arrival of the rohatsu sesshin [intensive meditation
      retreat]. In Zen dojos [practice halls] everywhere, people intensify their
      training energy in preparation for this sesshin held from the first to the
      eighth of December. The rohatsu sesshin is the consummation of a year's
      training, a time when everyone faces the final reckoning of a year of
      practice.

      The Buddha was enlightened on the eighth of December when he looked up at the
      morning star, the planet we call Venus. The brightness of this planet was
      seen by Buddha from the depths of one week of samadhi [deep awareness]. The
      Buddha received that brightness with the same eyes of zazen [sitting
      meditation] that enable us to realize perfect enlightenment.

      One week straight of this deepest possible samadhi was burst through by the
      billiance of that morning star. A whole week's experience of that world burst
      the brightness of the morning star, plunging into the Buddha's eyes and
      giving rebirth to the Buddha's consciousness.

      He cried:
      That's it! That's it! That's it. That's me! That's me that's shining so
      brilliantly!

      How deeply he was moved and what wonder he felt. From this comes all of the
      Buddha's dharma. From within this state of mind the Buddha said:

      How wondrous, how woundrous! All beings are endowed with this pure nature!
      What a wondrous, astonishing thing has been realized! All the ten thousand
      things, all the flowers, all the trees, all the rocks, all things everywhere
      are shining brilliantly! What an amazing thing! It's the same landscape, but
      how brilliantly it is illuminated! What freshness is everything!

      From within this deep illumination of the mind of the Buddha, all the
      Buddha's
      wisdom was born. All of Zen is held within the deep impression of the
      Buddha's mind at that moment.

      People vow to experience this very same experience of the Buddha as they
      approach the rohatsu sesshin. In every single Zen dojo, people put their
      lives on the line to be able to experience the exact same state of mind, on
      the eighth of December, as that of the Buddha. This is the firm vow with
      which they come to the rohatsu sesshin.

      ---------------------------

      Excerpted with permission from "Morning Dewdrops of the Mind: Teachings of a
      Contemporary Zen Master" (published by North Atlantic Books/Frog, Ltd.).

      Shodo Harada Roshi is a Rinzai Zen master who teaches in Japan, Europe, and
      at the One Drop Zendo in Seattle, Wash.

      (Ed. note: This is long. Still it is rare to have posted here the thoughts of
      a sixteen year old, tho one obviously wise beyond her years. It is an
      important message.)

      white wolfe will share with you the gift of his daughter (dawn child), who
      is sixteen years old, who is already taking college credit course work, a
      child who is the Secretary of the the Cabinet of the Junior Statesmen of
      America and President of her local Chapter...a speech she wrote to her
      peers...,

      Elisa Valentine

      Being Green
      A celebrated and lovable frog once said, "It's not easy being green." Anyone
      who is familiar with Jim Henson's Muppets knows that the narrator of this
      quote is Kermit the Frog. As one may recall, Kermie, sang of the burdens of
      "being green," i.e., a member of an ethnic or racial minority. According to
      a recent newscast on National Public Radio, Kermie and all amphibians like
      him may soon be an endangered or even extinct species. It was reported that
      leading biologists around the world have noticed that frog populations, in
      particular, are suffering severe environmental shock. Global frog
      populations are experiencing significant declines. A factor that heightens
      this particular concern is that these biologists cannot find any immediately
      apparent reason for these population declines, a fact that erodes the myth
      that science can find a cure for all the ills it creates. The solution to
      this and many other environmental problems plaguing society as we enter a new
      century is to be found in adopting a new global political philosophy, that
      is, in becoming like Kermit and "being green." The connotative meaning
      behind the phrase "being green," however, has more universal significance
      than Kermit's embroidered physical condition suggests. The idea of "being
      green" goes beyond mere social considerations to encompass the global
      political arena. "Being green' is a controversial political philosophy that
      has arisen as a political movement to confront U.S. capitalistic consumerism
      and American society's ambivalent attitude toward world environmental issues
      as was noted by NPR News Commentator Jedediah Purdy when commenting on this
      years presidential election. "Being green' is a new political philosophy for
      a new century and one which we fail to embrace immediately upon our peril.

      At a recent convention of the Summit on Global Warming held by the United
      Nations, the U.S. presence was felt as a notable absence. What made this
      particular convention distinct from its predecessors was the fact that for
      the first time the youth of the world were in attendance. Not surprisingly,
      even among the youth of the world, a United States presence was not
      noticeable. This absence, while deplorable, was predictable as the United
      States is the leading contributor among all nations to factors creating
      global warming More arresting than the US absence was the startling news
      release from the Summit that scientists have now discovered and confirmed
      that in addition to the growing ozone hole at the North Pole, there is now a
      new and second hole at the South Pole. NPR Radio considers this news so
      startling that it has sent a special correspondent Richard Harris to both
      poles for detailed investigation. Scientific data like the above underscores
      the comments made by Bill Joy, co-founder of Sun Microsystems, in his article
      in Wired magazine. Joy caused a sensation with his estimate that humanity
      would be extinct within 100 to 200 years. Scientists he quoted estimate that
      between 30% and 50% of humanity will not even survive this century. Ken
      Wilbur, founder of the Integral Institute in Boulder Colorado, and his
      colleagues there who represent the best minds in all the major scientific and
      scholarly disciplines agree with these projections. The above information is
      a wake-up call to us, as Americans, that we must change; we must start "being
      green." Unlike the cause for the global declines in the frog populations,
      scientists know the principal cause of the holes in the ozone layer. As
      Americans we must be willing to 'bite the bullet' and begin to put our luxury
      and convenience items aside. The leading cause of the ozone holes in mother
      earth's atmosphere is the American citizen's personal automobile. The
      consequence for our failure to start "being green" can be stated more
      bluntly: Humanity could be extinct in 100 years. It is time for we as
      American consumers to awaken to the fact that our self-indulgent materialism
      is destroying the world we love and cherish. Our failure as Americans to
      take seriously the responsibility of "being green" can be attributed to the
      fact that the present US economic world dominance is based upon the
      relentless exploitation of human and natural resources in the Third World.
      If we fail to start "being green," our Third World neighbors will soon find
      themselves, as will we, with the cold comfort that they have tried to awaken
      the slumbering giant who is the United States.

      It is a fact that most of Americans are oblivious to environmental problems,
      but there is always a militant minority. As a young person, I am proud to
      say that included in this minority are the Junior Statesmen of America, our
      future leaders. In the most recent Northern California Convention held by
      this mock student government, the youth of the Assembly of the Northern State
      passed an Ozone Protection Resolution stating "it is resolved. that the use
      of aerosol cans containing CFC's should be limited to heavy industry." It is
      guaranteed that all Resolutions and Bills passed by JSA are to be considered
      by the adults of California State Legislature. It is also true, however,
      that the pragmatic politicians who run the state government usually dismiss
      the idealist concerns of the JSA Assembly as not worthy of serious
      consideration. Even though the legislation passed by JSA is the product of
      the consensus of selected and conscientious students and soon to be
      registered voters, our values are not taken seriously by today's leaders.
      Why is that? Who, then, will the government listen to, if not the most
      intellectual students of their state? And were, at one point in their youth,
      these same state officials not concerned with the same issues, issues that
      have been lost in the footnotes to corporate and personal financial
      statements?

      It is a fact that corporate American businesses have only one prevailing
      purpose and concern, ever increasing profits at whatever the cost. A trip to
      the local grocery store illustrates this fact. Pak 'N' Save Foods recently
      switched its bagging system from paper to plastic. The obvious motive for
      doing so was, of course, the fact that the move will increase profit. Never
      mind the depredations of plastic to the environment. The convenience of the
      customer was not even a consideration as the choice to choose paper over
      plastic was eliminated. The fact that plastic bag is of insufficient
      strength to hold more than a few items and is not biodegradable is of no
      concern to Safeway, Inc., the parent corporation of Pak n' Sav. The
      decision makers of the company were obviously listening to the demands of its
      shareholders for dividends rather than for responsible business practices.
      If the shareholders who own the company are only interested in green returns
      on their investments rather than a green environment, is it any wonder that
      corporations themselves are not interested in "being green" either? One
      wonders what Safeway, Inc. will do when its profits are eliminated by a soon
      to be rapidly shrinking customer base? Faced with unrecoverable financial
      losses, what will its investors demand then?

      These leaders of corporate America, like our politicians, like the majority
      of our citizens have turned deaf ears to what they know is right in favor of
      what will produce the most profit, what is most popular and what is most
      convenient in the present without proper consideration of the future
      consequences of present actions. As Americans, we must stop sacrificing our
      ideals for economic security; we must start sacrificing our economic security
      for our ideals. We must abandon environmentally destructive technologies at
      whatever cost it is to our personal convenience. What is the value of
      economic security or personal convenience when balanced against environmental
      disaster, against death itself? Somebody famous once said, "It's not easy
      being green." As individuals, as a culture, as a race, as a society, as a
      nation, as a species, we must start "being green." We could be extinct in
      100 years if we cannot, do not, and will not. Are we to leave these issues,
      which have arisen as a result of our own mistakes, for our innocent children,
      I dare not say grandchildren, to confront? We must address the environmental
      issues before us now if humanity, if life itself as we know it on our planet
      is to survive. What will happen to humanity when there are no more frogs?

      To be green in America today is to adopt and adhere to religious, social and
      political values that are held by a tragically small percentage of the voting
      public, less than five percent. Being green means to be compassionate
      stewards rather than greedy exploiters of our world's environment and
      resources. Being green means to be compassionate neighbors of the
      under-privileged poor at home and abroad. Being green means to value
      international concerns and issues higher than merely domestic ones. The
      reason that "being green" is controversial is because the core values of what
      it means to be green confront the material success and dominance of U.S.
      capitalism in the world market with its callous exploitation of our world
      environment and third world peoples. Now is the time to begin to listen to
      your conscience. Now is the time to begin to be compassionate individuals and
      citizens. Now is the time for Americans and America to arise and become the
      good steward of that with which we have been entrusted, our mother earth.
      Now is the time to begin "being green".