NDS highlights for Saturday, December 2

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2000
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      FAUXVOX:

      Keeping to a steady tempo you set, start saying one letter of the
      alphabet aloud while simultaneously thinking of a different one.
      Force yourself to stay with at it for a while, and be prepared to
      discover something useful to awakening that you never realized.

      *
      *
      *
      If you think that you are here - you are not,
      and if you think that you are not here - you are insane.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      DAN and ANDREW:

      Dan:

      Jim Morrison (one of a long line of
      mystic substance-abusing poets)
      said he wanted to
      disorder the senses,
      was interested in chaos
      and apparently meaningless activity ...

      But he mistook the situation as
      one in which the senses were
      ordered and had to be disordered,
      in which something other than chaos
      could be present, in which there
      could meaningfully be meaningful
      and meaningless activity...

      There is excess meaning, or no meaning --
      but there isn't meaningful and meaningless
      activity --

      ...the space between the sounds of the wind ...

      The senses, including thought, have no
      order other than what is given
      to them by and as description.

      Andrew:

      'Description' is the action of putting into words (literally, writing
      down), or in
      geometry the drawing of a line. Description is all that is available
      to knowing. I
      notice that all there is is an action.
      'I' do it all to surprise 'myself'.
      I don't buy that statement from Jim M., he wanted to escape and he
      did. He was not
      dumb enough to see the senses as ordered.
      Blake was more honest when he asked how you could know how much was
      enough without
      knowing how much was too much.
      Blake got it when he said who knows but that a bird is a universe
      unknown to our
      senses.

      Dan:

      Interesting observation, as JM studied
      and enjoyed Blake - The
      quote used by Huxley for "The Doors
      of Perception" comes from Blake,
      and was used by Morrison to entitle
      the group. "When the doors of perception
      are cleansed, everything is revealed as it
      is - infinite." (paraphrasing, I'm sure)

      JM didn't really get to escape, he
      just died young. Got a temporary
      reprieve, but his Indian guide
      made him review his life in the Bardo,
      and he found that his "living at the
      edge of chaos and order" had only
      just begun. In fact, his attempt
      to increase chaos was actually a
      running away from it - as you suggest.

      He found out that the attempt to derange
      oneself is a self-defeating strategy,
      since the deranger always maintains
      an existence that will "come back",
      after the period of derangement is
      past. Hence, an underlying
      despair and nihilism augmented itself,
      and there was increasing reliance
      on alcohol.

      As for Will Blake - clearly expressed insight.

      He "saw" - knew that a bird is an unknown universe.

      Beautiful!

      And a bird is the description of a universe.
      Description draws a line.
      Description is gesture of the infinite.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      MICHAEL READ:

      The Embrace

      Tears in your eyes
      Laughter in your heart

      Quiet as snow
      Still as stones

      Winds lifting roars
      Stars shining feathers

      Knowing you are
      All this, silly and grand

      Coaster rolling
      Roller coasting

      Knowing the tears are only rain
      The laughter only sunshine.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      DAN and JAN:

      D:
      The "organic computer" functions
      according to its "program" --
      there is no one enslaved
      and no one freed.

      J:
      The organic computer comes with a little mystery:
      It has the option of self-modifying code although no self can be shown
      to exist.
      There isn't a programmer and yet it is programmed perfectly.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      JAN:

      Hi Guys,

      The articles from New Scientist have been uploaded:

      http://www.egroups.com/files/NondualitySalon/New+Scientist+Blind+to+ch
      ange.htm

      http://www.egroups.com/files/NondualitySalon/New+Scientist+Greatest+my
      th+of+all.htm

      And don't forget, it's from scientist's perspective - promising so J

      Enjoy the read,

      JAN:
      Some of the ND dictums are:
      "there is nowhere to go, nowhere to hide, nothing to seek, nothing to
      find, nothing to wake up from, nothing to realize"
      So obviously, there is no escape from sentient life and one can
      relax - sentient life has to be the escape itself (ROTFL). And of
      course, an escape from no-escape!:)

      Jan (non-escaped escapologist)

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      TERRY MURPHY quotes Zarathustra:

      I've been reading 'Thus Spake Zarathustra' lately, and would like to
      share
      some bits from the chapter, 'On the Blissful Islands.'

      " God is a supposition: but I want your supposing to be bounded by
      conceivability.
      Could you *conceive* a god? - But may the will to truth mean this
      you: that everything shall be transformed into the
      humanly-conceivable, the
      humanly-evident, the humanly palpable! You should follow your own
      senses to
      the end!
      And you yourselves should create what you have hitherto called
      the
      World: the World should be formed in your image by your reason, your
      will,
      and your love! And truly, it will be your happiness, you enlightened
      men!
      And how should you endure life without this hope, you enlightened
      men!
      Neither in the incomprehensible nor in the irrational can you be at
      home.
      But to reveal my heart entirely to you, friends: *if* there were
      gods,
      how could I endure not to be a god! *Therefore* there are no gods.
      I, indeed, drew that conclusion; but now it draws me.

      ...For the Creator himself to be the child new-born he must also
      be
      willing to be the mother and endure the mother's pain.
      Truly, I have gone my way through a hundred souls and through a
      hundred
      cradles and birth-pangs. I have taken many departures, I know the
      heart-breaking last hours.
      But my creative will, my destiny, wants it so. Or to speak more
      honestly: my will wants precisely such a destiny.
      All *feeling* suffers in me and is in prison: but my *willing*
      always
      comes to me as a liberator and a bringer of joy.
      Willing liberates: that is the true doctrine of will and
      freedom - thus
      Zarathustra teaches you.

      ...But again and again it drives me to mankind, my ardent,
      creative
      will; thus it drives the hammer to the stone.
      Ah, you men, I see an image sleeping in the stone, the image of my
      visions! Ah, that it must sleep in the hardest, ugliest stone!
      Now my hammer rages fiercely against its prison. Fragments fly
      from the
      stone: what is that to me?
      I will complete it: for a shadow came to me - the most silent,
      the
      lightest of all things once came to me!
      The beauty of the Superman came to me as a shadow. Ah, my
      brothers!
      What are the gods to me now!"