Friday December 1, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      The Core's Musical Selection of the Month has been updated for December,
      2000.

      Anyway, hope you like this uplifting musical piece.

      Access it either by going to The Core (http://coresite.cjb.net), scrolling
      down the left-side menu and clicking on "Monthly Musical Selection," or
      directly here:

      http://www.zipcon.net/~core/nd/music.html

      MARY on Mystic Love

      "All that is not One must ever
      Suffer with the wound of Absence,
      And whoever in Love's city
      Enters, finds but room for One
      and but in One-ness, Union."

      -"Through Scylla and Charybdis"

      Love, Mary

      DAN

      Dear Andrew,

      Description isn't necessarily description of
      something else "out there". That's just
      one type of description.
      Description is giving form and texture by depicting
      something.
      So, yes, art describes.
      Not only that, but sense perception describes.
      Every thought is description.

      All I can tell you is this:
      for me, it's been a wonder to
      open to this. To "see" description
      as it forms, and therefore to "see"
      what isn't describable, what is
      prior to any description, any
      formulated reality, any kind of
      experiential truth.

      Description involves time -
      time to formulate, time to perceive.
      The describer is the described because
      each is implied in the other, and
      each requires the other.

      What is "opening" is this:
      the describer appears with the described.
      the described appears with the describer.
      the seer appears with the seen.
      the seen appears with the seer.

      I am this rose I am viewing.
      Without me, it is not.
      Without it, I am not.

      It is there, I am there,
      yet neither is there.

      In the instant of nondescription,
      nonperception, there is timelessness.

      It is not describable.
      It is not a work of art.
      It is not the artist or seer.

      This is why the Tao has been called "dark".
      And it has been called the "Living One" as
      you suggest. Yet, with "unknowingness's
      opening" even the description "living"
      slips away, because with no dichotomy
      of life/death, matter/space - what meaning
      has "living"?

      There is no one alive here and no one dead here.
      There is neither livingness nor nonlivingness.

      Where description ends is pure "nowness",
      pure "infinite potential" and
      of course, these words are empty.

      There is no picture formulated here, nothing
      to be seen and no seer. Yet it's not
      just an empty nothing - it's just
      that description such as totality,
      infinite consciousness misses what "it is".

      Love,
      Dan

      ANDREW

      Dear Dan,

      Oh, OK then.
      but...
      If what is being described is formed and shaped by the description,
      out of no prior thing, that's an unusual way of using the word
      'description'.

      love,
      andrew

      DAN

      Dear Andrew,

      Glad it's okay!

      The only reason it seems unusual, I think,
      is that the "general consensus" is that
      there is an independently existing world
      of things in space out there which we
      describe through language, art, etc.
      And I'm not making that assumption.

      The implications are gorgeous.

      This "world of things" arises as "my experience",
      just as I arise with it. What a marvelous
      paradox - essentially the paradox of
      describer and described.

      By the way, I remember reading stuff from Don Juan
      where he used the idea of description similarly
      to the way we're talking here - description of the
      world "creates" the world that "I become". It's
      a little vague here, as I read this stuff long ago,
      but I remember something about "stopping the world"
      and it seemed equivalent to "being 'beyond' the description".

      Fascinating, the way description works!

      The billion things "out there" are my construction,
      and the "me" that constructs this only seems
      to appear because those "billion things" are "wanting
      a way to self-contruct, hence, to appear.
      Their appearance is description of a world, which
      is how "I", the apparent observer, get structured
      "into the picture".

      And all this from a "void" that is a "plenum" of
      potential, the potential for infinite descriptions
      and experiences of "self/world" ... all enfolded
      as "just this" ...

      Whatever "self/world" seems to be unfolding here,
      why it's just always, only this very "original no-thingness".

      We're all this "interdependent reality" of flux, perception,
      awareness and "things" of interpenetrating mutual origination.
      And yet it's all, only "nowness", always "no-thingness".

      Quite the intrigue, it is.

      And yes, by describing it, I'm giving it "living form",
      and "myself", too.

      Love,
      Describer and Diver Dan

      ANDREW

      Perhaps 'description' is an accurate word for the process of creation that is
      always
      happening, from seeming not to be yet not being nonexistent to seeming to be
      yet not
      being, the roiling whirling turning back on itself of no thing swirling into
      thingness
      and out again. Creation or making is what is happening (seems to be
      happening),
      description is how it happens (seems to happen.)
      A jar is a description of the space within it, and outside it.
      I remember Don Juan from long ago too, telling Carlo to hear the space
      between the
      sounds of the wind in the trees.

      love,
      andrew

      MARK OTTER

      Dear non-Selves,

      This is another teaching from Achaan Chah:

      Not-Self

      When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing. If our
      body really belonged to us, it would obey our commands. If we say
      "Don't get old," or "I forbid you to get sick," does it obey us? No, it
      takes no notice. We only rent this house, not own it. If we thing it
      belongs to us, we will suffer when we have to leave it. But in reality,
      there is no such thing as a permanent self, nothing solid or unchanging
      that we can hold on to.

      Buddha made a distinction between ultimate truth and conventional
      truth. The idea of a self is merely a concept - a convention -
      American, Thai, teacher, student, all are conventions. Ultimately no
      one exists, only earth, fire, water, and air - elements that have
      combined temporarily. We call the body a person, my self, but
      ultimately there is no me, there is only anatta, not-self. To
      understand not-self, you have to meditate. If you only intellectualize,
      your head will explode. Once you understand not-self in your heart, the
      burden of life will be lifted. Your family life, your work, everything
      will be much easier. When you see beyond self, you no longer cling to
      happiness, you can begin to be truly happy.

      Love, Mark
      ps I'm beginning to think Achaan Chah is a HOODLUM!!!

      matthew files wrote:

      > -------------------------------------
      > well i agree with the exploding head part but this shit about life
      > being easier is pure nonsense. More carrot on the stick hooha. If you
      > do such and such then the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow will
      > be yours, and you will live happily ever after. Sorry Achaan baby
      > that is total fairy tale. You don't become "free" when you "wake up"
      > you become a slave, because there is no choice anymore.

      Anymore?

      > And the life
      > of a slave with no choices is very difficult

      Compared to what?
      For there to be a slave with no choices there must be a master with choices,
      and they
      must be two separate entities.
      Both are illusion.
      Everything is a surprise, nothing true is known.
      Boo!

      and if you think
      > otherwise, well, have a nice sleep.
      > ............matthew

      ole!

      andrew

      MARK & HARSHA

      From: Mark Otter
      ppps I've been taking trouble-making lessons privately from Harsha. I'm
      getting good at it, huh? (please think before responding. a "no" answer
      will be an insult to Harsha, and no one would want to insult Harsha.
      He's much too nice a guy for that...)

      Thanks Mark. You are a worthy student. Here is the introductory but advanced
      teaching of trouble making for you O' grasshopper.

      Look at my hand? Do you see a boat? We are all in this same boat. The boat
      belongs to no one but each considers the boat his or her own to eventually
      purchase and possess. When you can grab this boat from my hand, without my
      palms closing first with lightening speed, it will be time for you to go to
      Taiwan and open up a Chinese restaurant specializing in Italian foods.

      There you will sit during lunch times eating Pizzas with ten layers of
      cheese and the special 7 vegetables as toppings (as you have been instructed
      during our super special interactive mystical koan and insight sessions).
      You will sit there and eat to your heart's content without ever the benefit
      of napkins without the least feeling of shame. You will attempt to beat the
      summo wrestlers who frequent there in arm wrestling contests. You will
      impress them with your powers and they will become your disciples and you
      will then transmit the boat teachings to them. In such a way, it is
      envisioned that the teachings of the West will go to the East. You have been
      chosen as the messenger worthy one. May the force be with you.

      See you at the next training session Marksan.

      Love
      Harsha

      Mark sends a koan discourse:
      http://www.zen-mtn.org/zmm/talks/teisho6.htm