Wednesday November 29th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2000
      Dan Berkow, meditation and non meditation;

      Meditation can be viewed as
      the release from the process of
      attachment.

      The process of attachment can
      be viewed as nonmeditation in the sense that
      it depends on continuing past attitudes
      and continuing the self that is the accumulation
      of past images, memories, and reactions.

      Meditation is discontinuous, instantaneous
      awareness nondependent on words or images.

      The "meditation of non-meditation" occurs
      when there is no worthwhile division between
      an activity or nonactivity labelled as meditation and
      an activity or nonactivity labelled as nonmeditation.

      The fullness of reality as omnipresent
      allows nonattachment to the process of attachment
      and nonattachment to the dissolution of that process.
      There is no preference or investment in a meditation
      process or nonprocess
      that exists apart from a nonmeditation process
      or nonprocess.

      "Nonmeditation meditation" is purely direct awareness,
      "conferred" by awareness to awareness with no
      intermediary. It is not a process, has no instruction
      manual, isn't identifiable or recognizable. It
      is simply the unvarnished truth, "what is as is",
      neither divided nor undivided, neither continuing
      nor discontinuous.

      The body-mind is at once the process of attachment,
      the basis for meditation, and that which is simultaneously
      released and fulfilled with the "meditation of nonmeditation".
      "The body-mind released and fulfilled" is the end of birth-death
      as identification, and the "acceptance beyond acceptance"
      of living/dying as unspit awareness.

      Love,
      Dan

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      A responsive cee;

      spit and unspit
      precisely this
      your words fly home
      without re-cognition

      understanding
      (never) occurs
      in crystal clarity

      as i've said before
      you rock

      in a rock and roll
      passionate kind of way
      and in an unchanging
      absolutely still kind of way

      thank you

      with and without
      love
      cee

      >How about being able to describe "what-is-happening" as how to
      >escape? Seems to me possible, that in the describing, IS the escape. :-)
      >
      >Marcia

      No.
      No description of "what is"
      can give or substitute for
      "what is".
      Any useful description undermines
      itself and throws awareness back
      to its own being as is, not
      the being it tries to describe to
      itself, tries to experience, or tries
      to perceive as an image or idea.

      There is literally no escape, nothing
      from which to escape, and no one who
      can escape. The intent to escape,
      to continue, or to get is undermined
      by the "reality of no intent", that
      which is before, during, and after
      time.

      Love,
      Dan

      Dear NDS:

      ....white wolfe has read so many "denials" of the importance of the "practice of
      meditation" or of "contemplative prayer" and of
      "spiritual" experience in general at this salon in his short time here he no longer
      bothers to enter such ramblings....they contradict
      his own humble beginner's practice and experience...it was upon reading the the
      following quotation that hope that maybe all is not
      lost in a world which seems to be concerned with increasingly subtle shades of
      greyness and to have forgotten the importance of
      being green....of working in the bone yard of the meditation hall to being fully and
      trully !Awake!

      "Start with a simple example. A meditator is hooked to an EEG machine. As the
      meditator enters a deep contemplative state, the
      EEG machine shows an unmistakably novel series of brain wave pattersn (such as the
      production of delta waves, which usually
      occur only in deep dreamless sleep). Moreoever, the meditator claims that, in her
      direct experience of this delta state, she is having
      experiences for which the word "spiritual" seems most fitting: she is experiencing a
      sense of expanded consciousness, an increase
      in love and compassion, a feeling of encountering the sacred and numinous in both
      herself and the world at large."

      -Ken WIlbur, Theory of Everything, p. 65

      how fascintating that the "religion" of scientific material liberalism is finally
      being forced by the very tools of its invention and method
      of enquiry to acknowledge what the saints and mystics have know since before history
      began....^^~~~~

      further up and further in,

      white wolfe

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Expectation of what it is to be 'awake' keeps one asleep.
      Drop expectations.
      You are a buddha, a christ, god in the flesh
      know this.

      All the rest is mere play.
      All of life is play.
      Conciousness is play.

      Each one is the mystery, the way and the life.

      Compassion and love encompasses us all as one being.

      HAHAHAH and HOHOHO!

      Peace - meditation has never ceased, nor has it begun - Michael

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Dear Michael:

      when i look in the mirror i see the truth...not yet...when i meditate i
      perceive the truth...not yet....when i write poetry it tells me....not
      yet....all experience leads to a mysterious question....what lies beyond? ^^
      ~~~~

      further up and further in,

      white wolfe

      the wild call of the white wolfe

      i who am sometimes called by myself white wolfe
      i who sing to you who are members of the pack
      i who dance upon the fresh snow leaving no tracks
      i who sit within the silver moon and run with the stars
      i who am beyond the canopy of seamless darkness

      i sing to you this great teaching, this deep wisdom

      sit and howl at the moon of suffering no more
      the time for such maddest and love is past
      long ago you perfected this tuneless incantation

      this wailing of blind tears disturbs the tranquil mind

      look deep into the watery mirror and behold
      the warrior whom you have forgotten you are
      allow your Mystic Mind to awaken once again

      sing instead the sacred song i teach you to sing

      sit and howl into the darkness beyond suffering no more
      the time for such agony in love is over
      let your capering paws leave the muddy path

      this dance of death and sadness breaks your noble heart

      recall the scent of the cosmic wind and arise
      follow the shaman within to a place before beginning
      allow your Sacred Heart to guide you once again

      dance the holy dance i dance before you with me

      i dance before you the ancient wisdom beyond understanding

      i who am beyond the canopy of seamless darkness
      i who sit in the silver moon and run with the stars
      i who dance upon the fresh snow leaving no tracks
      i who sing to you who are members of the pack
      i who am sometimes called by myself white wolfe

      i call to you to remember the still waters deep within
      to follow the wild dance beyond the midnight dark sky
      i call you with a wild call to a wild song and wild dance
      to celebrate all creatures, all creation arising and falling

      i call to you to awaken, to sing and dance divinely
      and join with me eternally in celebrating with God.

      Mark Christopher Valentine
      November 29, 2000

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Dear Mark, nothing lies beyond. There is nothing further up or
      further in.

      Ah, but how rich this nothing is!

      Your poetry is lovely.

      The prey sought by the wolf is the wolf itself!
      The dance and the dancer are one and the same - conciousness.

      HAHAHAH and HOHOHO!

      Peace - howling with you in infinity - Michael

      ps - as my Grandpa used to say, "see you in the funny papers!"

      Love and compassion.