Wednesday, November 22

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2000
      SANDEEP

      Q: Why don't Buddhists vacuum in the corners?
      A: Because they have no attachments.

      Q: What is the name of the best Zen teacher?
      A: M.T. Ness

      Q: How many Zen Buddhists does it take to change a light
      bulb?
      A: None, they are the light bulb.

      Q: How many Zen buddhists does it take to change a light
      bulb?
      A: Three -- one to change it, one to not-change it and one to
      both change- and not-change it.

      Q: How many Zen buddhists does it take to change a light
      bulb?
      A: Tree falling in the forest.

      Q: What happens when a Buddhist becomes totally absorbed with
      the computer he is working with?
      A: He enters Nerdvana.

      Q: What did one Zen practitioner give to another for his/her
      birthday?
      A: Nothing.
      Q: What did the birthday boy/girl respond in return?
      A: You are thoughtless for giving me this meaningless gift.
      To which the giver replied, "Thank you."

      Disciple: "Master, why did Bodhidharma come from the West?"
      Master: "Ask that post over there."
      Disciple: "I don't understand"
      Master: "Neither do I."

      OMKARA AND DAN

      OMKARA:
      Yes, but a "desire to help" manifesting as compassion was
      also evident (and apparently teachings were given, although
      whether really given by the Buddha or later by priests is
      unknown).

      Compassion manifests only when a *wordless knowing* of
      suffering is present. Whether or not this was beyond the
      level of mental knowledge is unknown here.

      Whether there really was a historical Buddha (or Jesus, for
      that matter) is also unknown here and of little concern! Here
      and Now, communication occurs between "Dan" and "Tim,"
      seemingly between "two people," really Awareness attending to
      itself or Love loving Love.

      I believe I do understand what you said though, about
      "knowing about it." No knowledge, nobody to know. "Awakeness"
      as a state or quality is not something "owned" by anybody in
      particular (nor is it really a state or quality).

      DAN:

      Yes, that's what I'm getting at.

      And the "desire to help" and
      the "I am awake" are the
      same thing.
      The desire to help isn't
      from an outside position,
      as one being would help
      another being who inspires
      a feeling or thought to
      help.

      The "desire to help" is actually
      the natural response of "mind"
      or "infinity"
      to the attempt of a belief to
      persist, a belief that constricts
      awareness around a "me" that only
      can continue to appear as belief
      if belief can be sustained (and
      all the emotions and associations
      that go along with this -- fear,
      desire, identity)

      So the Buddha's desire to help is
      only natural response of awareness
      without a position to the attempt
      to maintain a fixed position with
      all the suffering this entails.

      Love loving love
      goes out and returns -
      never having left at all ...

      ANDREW MACNAB

      Sometimes it just hits you over the head. This evening I was
      sitting thinking about how what happens in 'the world out
      there' is influenced by what goes on in 'my mind in here',
      and following from that, letting various worries and concerns
      rise up flower and die, as they do if you let them. I glanced
      out the window and saw a meteor burn across the eastern sky,
      bright and blue as a welder's flame, trailing yellow sparks,
      it burned out just above the horizon.

      --------------

      MARCIA PAUL

      Andrew,

      I know just what you mean. This is what I was trying to
      describe the other day when I was describing the emotional
      reactions I observe much as the changing seasons. I feel
      cold, and lonely and destitute (winter) and then the thaw
      begins and so forth. No need to try and do anything or to try
      and force myself to feel differently. Not only no need but
      trying is contrary to nature. One can't make winter into
      spring. When it is winter it is winter and when it is spring
      it is spring.

      Happy Thanksgiving.

      WHITE WOLF

      christiana and white wolfe attended Mass at St. Dominic's in
      San Francisco sunday just past...after a friendship
      discovered in cyberspace it was a rare meeting of kindred
      souls... deep gratitude for you the opportunity to share my
      gratitude to her with you who know her...^^~~~

      further up and further in,

      white wolfe

      The Beloved Shows a New Face

      (For Christiana)

      how do i find new words…

      when the language i use is old

      wrinkled, faded, dingy, pale

      dingy and colorless, worn thin

      worn out and grey, beyond time

      like an old hag, or perhaps better,

      like a luminous and silent sage,

      beyond space, retaining merely

      the shadow of form, of beauty,

      the hints of the first rainbow,

      over-arching the fresh earth

      after the first ever rainfall

      drifting cobalt blue, beyond time

      how do old words find in me…

      a novel arrangement,

      an undiscovered sequence,

      a still unsung, unheard melody

      they find me in your eyes

      they find me in the embrace

      the timeless integral embrace

      of two hands,

      two Mystic Minds

      two Sacred Hearts

      kneeling in a Holy Sanctuary

      celebrating an Ancient Ritual

      as two, distinctly two who are…

      Always, Now and Forever Will Be

      One, One Mindful and Mystic Mind

      One Compassionate and Sacred Heart

      now,

      with this incantation

      as prelude, as introduction

      i can simply say,

      i love you in me

      as your sparkling and deep eyes

      told me…,

      you love me in you

      Hail Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary

      Hail Holy Gem within the Coral Rose…

      Mark Christopher Valentine

      (November 22, 2000)

      MATTHEW AND MICHAEL

      MICHAEL: Isn't this non-duality tricky stuff? If there is only one
      conciousness, where does all the contention in the world come
      from?

      MATTHEW: no, not really. The nondual nature of
      everything is just so tacitly obvious, there is no paradox,
      there are no questions about it, no confusion in regards to
      what it is. If i were to try and answer the types of
      questions you pose here(or worse yet, try to come up with
      questions like these myself),that would be a tricky thing. My
      mind just doesn't work this way. In fact mind doesn't come in
      to play at all in the recognition of nonduality.

      GENE AND MICHAEL

      Gene Poole wrote:

      If no 'no', no is not 'yes'. Ergo, no yes or no, and yes, no
      yes or no; yes nor no. Yo!

      Straightening Boolean forks, (eat your heart out, Geller!)

      Michael Read wrote:

      Fork it! Mandelbrot!

      Actually Gene, the contrary content of non-contention is rhetorically
      realization.

      Life is good!

      Life exists because it wants to.
      Life wants to because it exists.
      The camera is always rolling.

      No one got the reference in "Dramatic ain't it?"

      Like the cartoon characters who are chasing each other about, stop,
      turn to the 'camera', shrug thier shoulders, and then resume the
      chase - life goes on!

      HAHAHAH and HOHOHO!
      Peace - Michael

      OMKARA DATTA

      Awakening does not occur to anyone... rather, when the right
      atmosphere is present (compare it to a fruit tree laden with
      ripe fruit, and suddenly a strong breeze hits), awakening
      occurs...

      The tree cannot drop the fruit. Nor can the fruit decide to
      drop. It *could* be said that we can assist by creating the
      right atmosphere for the fruit to ripen. By making sure the
      tree gets plenty of water and sunshine and fresh air.

      The "me" drops. The "me" cannot drop itself (that's where
      nonvolition comes in). It simply drops. Then there is
      Awakening, nothing but Awakening.

      The ego or "me" hides Awakening. Awakening always is, but
      could be said to be hidden by our presence. Where "I" am not,
      Awakening is. Where "I" am, Awakening is not (or is not
      perceived).

      MARK OTTER

      Hi Folks,

      I wish you a lovely holiday weekend (even those of you who don't partake
      of the American tradition of Thanksgiving, an odd little reminder of the
      slaughter of native Americans by our ancestors...) oh hey, I don't mean
      to spoil the mood. Thanksgiving is a nice holiday where many do in fact
      stop awhile to give thanks. I hereby give thanks that you are all in my
      life, and I wish you a nice weekend. I'm outta here for a few days.

      JAN AND MELODY

      JAN: ....awareness isn't some kind of an abstraction but
      potentially, entails a force as well (Shakti). That is why
      "karma interpreted as fate" is such a sad, self-fulfilling
      BS. Awareness has the potential to change anything and as the
      "fabric of life" is an interdependent fabric, the outcome is
      essentially unpredictable, reminding of nonlinear dynamics
      (chaos theory, the classical example being a Chinese
      butterfly causing a hurricane in Texas). It is THE reason why
      "one's first and foremost duty in life" could be called "WAKE
      UP!!"

      MELODY: I would really enjoy listening to a discussion
      perhaps by you and Sandeep ( as well as interested others),
      on how the statement above reconciles with the concept of
      "nonvolition".

      Could it be that any desire or effort to WAKE UP (or lack of
      desire or interest in awakening) ....as well as the issues
      and challenges one may encounter in that effort....

      is part of an individual's natural unfolding of
      consciousness.... or as some may say, 'written in the sky' (
      or call it fate, if you will)?

      I'm seeing that even when I find myself struggling.... over
      whether to 'row, row, row', or to just let the river carry
      me...

      this confusion and struggle...this inner divisivenesss... can
      very much be part of 'what is written' for this body-mind.

      TIM GERCHMEZ

      ...the music came pouring in, note upon note, layers of
      sound, playing me and playing itself for me. Sight and sound
      descended upon me in a dazzling crescendo, carrying me with
      it to new realms beyond imagination. Smells appeared in a
      dazzling array... I could smell fat, blossoming yellow
      flowers in Guatemala and the sharp reek of cow dung in India.
      I could taste the rich, sweet flavor of pastries being eaten
      by a man in a cafe in Turkey. I could hear the march of
      soldiers in China and the gentle breathing of sleeping
      shepherds in the Himalayas. I could feel the beat of a
      camel's heart in Egypt, and see forest fires raging in South
      America. The smoke carried me away.

      Light, movement, sound and smell joined together in gorgeous
      synergy, a symphony of perfection. At that very moment, I
      lifted my wings and spread myself across the sky

      COLETTE

      Love courses through everything,
      No, love is everything.
      How can you say there is no love
      When nothing but love exists?
      All that you see has appeared because of Love.
      All shines from Love,
      All pulses with Love,
      All flows from Love ~
      No, once again, all is Love!

      ~Araqi~

      Hello everyone. I have a post for Marcia which I will post
      later (the one re feeling form a bit in front of formless
      abiding).

      I have to run now.

      Love to All

      It's All your self anyhow.