NDHighlights Sunday 11/19/00

  • Mark Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2000
      Dear patient readers,

      I can see that editing the NDS highlights will be a task with
      considerable variety. Last Sunday, there were so many good (in my
      somewhat suspect opinion) posts, I had difficulty whittling them down.
      Yesterday, there were so few interesting posts, I am at a bit of a loss
      to know what to include. This was a week of ego clashes - a sort of
      demolition derby of the psyche. This post by Michael Read resonates
      with me regarding it. If you want more, check out the NDS itself.

      Dear Illusory beings, thank you so much for all of the recent drama. It
      has been quite delightful. While others of your kind have been actually
      murdering, maiming, and mutilating one another, your particular brand of
      personal attacks have a special flavor that is in a word exquisite! And
      best of all, they leave no apparent marks upon the body of the attacked!

      The various forms of "fuck yous", "you're full of shits", and "how can
      you call yourself enlighteneds" while not overly creative, do present a
      certain charm due to the zest and zeal of their presentations!

      The sweetest and most poignet aspect is that you actually believe there
      is someone who needs attacking by someone who is attacking.

      Dear Illusory beings - lights out!

      HAHAHAH and HOHOHO!

      Peace - yawn - Michael

      (Ed note: I especially like the "yawn" part)

      As for other topics, this one touches my heart (on Saturday I must have
      been winging about leaving Bioengineering for less harmful pastures)

      Jan Barendrecht replied:

      You're not alone in this Mark - several years ago, in New Scientist the
      first articles started to appear about scientists who had given up their
      job, having discovered that animals do have emotions so most lab animals
      do suffer. As nature is simple, it doesn't come a surprise that a
      mechanism observed in for instance a bee can be observed in humans as
      well. The bee will incessantly fly against the window in an effort to
      get out, a human will incessantly be flying against the "brick wall of
      self" in an effort to get "out". Both can be hurt by their efforts and
      administer hurt to any creature perceived as "hindrance" to their
      efforts.

      Love,
      Jan

      Jerry pitched in:

      One thing that turned me off about science is that I couldn't kill any
      more animals. It suddenly became impossible. I still think about the
      things I've done. And yet perhaps all great medical breakthroughs result
      from animal research. Many benefit right this minute from the millions
      of animals that have died.

      When I was at the University of New Mexico doing research, the guy who
      delivered/brokered/sold -- I wasn't sure of his exact role -- laboratory
      research animals to us had his wife and kids wiped out in a car crash
      while I was there. It was like a message to me.

      Yet what have I learned? There is still in these hands two all-beef
      patties, special sauce, lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed
      bun.

      Jerry

      To which Judi replied:

      Well it all goes round Jerry. When Meriann had her heart surgery two
      years ago and we were so worried about the bill, the accountant in the
      doctors office told us that when it comes to a child having a serious
      illness, one never need worry, because there are so many agencies that
      pick up the bill, with McDonald's being one the biggest. And this is not
      something publicized that people even know about.
      --
      Happy Days, Judi

      (Jerry) Wow, I didn't know that.

      ******** Yes, we were quite surprised too. In fact, at
      UCSF, where she had her surgery, they fly in kids from all over the
      world to have heart surgery there. And when and if they can't fly them
      in, they have a team who travel around the world doing heart surgeries
      for children. These guys not only know what they're doing, but they're
      beautiful people too. One look in her heart surgeon's eyes, and you'd
      know what I mean.

      Happy Days, Judi

      Judi also pointed to her web page where a picture of her daughter
      Meriann is:

      http://www.users.uniserve.com/~samuel/salute.jpg

      I popped, somewhat belatedly, into the conversation:

      Hi Jerry,

      It's true. A good friend of mine had a baby daugher who required open
      heart surgery several years back, and the Ronald McDonald house (I
      believe that's what it's called) was incredibly helpful at the time,
      both with bills and lodging at the hospital so they could be there with
      their daughter. (Remembering brings tears to my eyes. May all beings
      everywhere be well.)

      Love, Mark

      Manchine brought us from the mundane of everyday life (is childhood open
      heart surgery really ever truly mundane?) back to the numinous realm of
      nonduality and reincarnation:

      And in some other life you were/are/will be the pattie.... or even the
      onion.

      Isn't it just so incredible!

      Dave

      Judi continued her story:

      Yes, they were wonderful. The Ronald McDonald house arranged for her
      father and her brother to stay at a house near the hospital and they
      paid for all the food for the near week she was in the hospital. I
      stayed and slept in the room with her and the hospital provided all my
      food.

      They had a baby there who weighed one pound, whose heart was the size of
      a quarter and they did a total reconstruction of that baby's heart.
      Truly amazing what they can do. Just think, that baby is in her terrible
      two's right now. :-))

      --
      Happy Days,
      Judi

      Jan popped back in to remind us how personal stories are parts of a
      larger societal (and even larger spiritual story line:

      I have my doubts about the breakthroughs in medical science, knowing
      that the major cause of death is through lifestyle. Traffic has caused
      more deaths than all wars together but no one cares :)

      (quoting Jerry) º ºWhen I was at the University of New Mexico doing
      research, the guy whodelivered/brokered/sold -- I wasn't sure of his
      exact role -- laboratory research animals to us had his wife and kids
      wiped out in a car crash while I was there. It was like a message to me.

      It certainly is a message - when behavior is dominated by moral and
      ethics, allowing animals to suffer for the pleasure of other animals,
      one can be sure that such moral and ethics sooner or later will work
      against its practitioner. I don't think intention is playing any role
      here - the laws of nature need no intention to operate. The false idea
      of subjugation of nature invariably leads to a behavior whereby nature
      will subjugate the self-acclaimed subjugator :)

      (again quoting Jerry) º ºYet what have I learned? There is still in
      these hands two all-beef ºpatties, special sauce, lettuce cheese pickles
      onions on a sesame seed ºbun. º ºJerry

      Quite purposely, food made from animal sources doesn't remind one in any
      way of the source: dead animals... So taste will determine choice and
      taste solely depends on salt, spices and herbs :)

      Belonging to the class of those who can be motivated by argument alone,
      I learned many lessons, veganism and fruitarianism being but a few and
      learning still continues :)

      Jan

      Jerry pointed to further information regarding the role of the McDonalds
      corporation in health care:

      I went to their website at <http://www.rmhc.com> and saw all the things
      they do. I'm doing some volunteer work in the mental health field and I
      find it satisfying to work with people and their most fundamental needs.

      Jerry

      There was a side-thread about car crashes and synchronicity, but that
      was about it for the NDS on Sunday, the rest was folks butting heads
      over nothing at all.

      respectfully yours,
      Mark