NDS highlights for Saturday, Nov 4

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2000
      MICHAEL:

      I know that everyone I meet is none other tham the Buddha. Each and
      every person, plant and thing is nothing less than God in the flesh.
      I know that God is playing all these games.

      That is the real message of the B. Gita. Not to do battle with one
      another. Rather it is to accept that Krishna is All. To participate in
      this life and do the right thing. I offer that curses directed
      toward anyone are not beneficial.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Judi quotes RAM-TZU:

      Questioner to Wayne: How did it affect your relationship with people
      once the struggle had finished, had dropped away? Was there any major
      change in the way you related to people?

      Wayne: My wife is nodding her head. I can't tell! I mean, from a
      personal standpoint, I don't register tose changes. I suppose I
      wasn't, and remain not particularly interested. Whatever personality
      characteristics changed were more noticeable by others than by me.
      But personally---I think I turned into a hell of a great guy.
      (laughter)

      Questioner: Where's your wife? I want her to tell...

      Wayne: You might hear a different story from her. (laughter) But I'm
      sure as the seeking eased, I became more relaxed. I'm sure that
      translated into my relationships with others. The important thing to
      understand about the changes that come about, is that changes come
      about in every body-mind mechanism througout their lives. Events
      happen, and the responses by the various organisms are quite
      different. You can't say that when the seeking falls away, this list
      of personality characteristics ensues or that when the Awakening
      happens, then the personality becomes 'this way'. Look, you have
      Ramana Marharshi--totally kicked back, you know. He's in Southern
      India, laying back on his tiger skin, answering a few questions,
      swatting a few flies with his...oh, "brushing" them. Not swatting. I
      mean, he was a saint, after all! (laughter)

      Questioner: Oh he didn't do it. Somebody else did it for him.

      Wayne: Somebody else did it. Even better. He didn't even have to do
      his own fly work! He's totally kicked back, he has someone else
      shooing his flies away, and he answers a few questions. He asks
      people who it is who's asking the question, and--life is peaceful!! A
      very gentle easy kind of personality. Now you have Nisargadatta
      Maharaj. And Maharaj is a very 'different' kind of personality. He
      has a very agressive nature. And when you come to him and you ask the
      same question for the fourth time in a row, he will yell at you to get
      OUT OF HIS SATSANG! (laughter) Because that's the nature of the
      mechanism. And the basic fundamental nature of the mechanism is not
      necessarily changed by the falling away of the sense of personal
      doership, because it is not te body--it is not the body-mind mechanism
      that is enlightened!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      SHELLY:

      Dear friends of Nonduality Saloon:
      I was a member once before but I found the atmosphere a little
      noisy for me.To use a musical metaphor- to many notes for my
      taste. I have been a frequent visitor, and particularly enjoy
      the postings of Dan Berkow and Gene Pool. I'm sort of a head
      guy. The reason for my re-enlisting is simply to make a brief
      comment on the way I percieve the goings on.
      1- I think all involved in this type of discussion should be aware
      of some of the main principles of Semantics.
      2- The mind can prove or disprove just about anything.
      3- The WORD is definitely not the thing.
      4- There is no meaning without CONTEXT.
      5- Use judgements cautously,-The multiply like rabbits.
      This would be just for starters.
      I don't know if I have anything else to say. This may be my only
      Post. If it is, it's not anything personal. Or is it?

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      GARY:

      I feel that my natural state is one of freedom and ecstasy, no
      problem, no
      problem, however I see more and more how thought can be seductive to
      make me
      less than happy in exchange for feeling safe. Thought to me now seems
      like
      the snake in Jungle Book that sings 'trust in me', 'trust in me' as it
      hypnotises its prey.

      So I ask, is it possible to negate the whole field of knowledge, and
      of
      thought, so that the mind operates without any trace of prejudice? The
      only
      tool we usually have is knowledge or thought and obviously that won't
      do it,
      we'll only end up with more of the same. I think it is possible,
      however.
      Possible by seeing the danger in identifying with thought/knowledge,
      like
      seeing a dangerous snake, whch then makes the brain alert and stand to
      attention so as not to get bitten. Then there is a release.

      To me this alert state of mind is not different to the natural free
      being
      that I want to be. Not to hold onto anything, not to limit oneself to
      any
      state, this is to be individual and to be true surely. Such would be
      the
      beginning of meditation and allow the possibility of dialogue with our
      brothers and sisters, not to convince them of anything but to set each
      other
      free.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Sky quotes T.S. ELIOT

      At the still point of the turning world.
      Neither flesh nor fleshless.
      Neither from nor towards.
      At the still point, there the dance is.
      But neither arrest nor movement.
      And do not call it fixity.
      Where past and future are gathered.
      Neither movement from nor towards.
      Neither ascent nor decline.
      Except for the point, the still point
      There would be no dance,
      and there is only the dance.

      GLORIA responds:

      When you mentioned still point in your other post, I wondered if you
      were
      referencing this poem, an unforgettable favorite one that those words
      always
      remind me of too. Since people seem to get away with anything here at
      ye
      olde NDS, maybe we can communicate in poems, why not? No one listens
      to anyone
      else's preferences. Let them eat prose! But first, I ran across this
      Thomas
      Merton quote which reminded me of you and your love of doubt and
      uncertainty.
      Don't mind too much the "unidentifiable God" line, that is the best
      kind. I had
      to get up some nerve to send this to you, because if you want to trash
      Merton,
      it will be hard for me to listen to that. ~~Love, Glo

      Thomas Merton, in Disputed Questions

      The solitary may well beat his head against a wall of doubt.That may
      well be the full extent of his contemplation. Do not mistake my
      meaning. It
      is not a question of intellectual doubt, an analytical investigation
      of the
      theological, philosophical or some other truths. It is something else,
      a kind
      of unknowing of his own self, a kind of doubt that questions the very
      roots
      of his own existence, a doubt which undermines his very reasons for
      existing
      and for doing what he does. It is this doubt which reduces him finally
      silence, and in the silence which ceases to ask questions, he receives
      the
      only certitude he knows : The presence of God in the midst of
      uncertainty and
      nothingness, as the only reality but as a reality which cannot be
      "placed" or
      identified.
      Hence the solitary man says nothing, and does his work, and is
      patient,
      ( or perhaps impatient, I don't know ) but generally he has peace. It
      is not
      the world's kind of peace. He is happy, but he never has a good time.
      He
      knows where he is going, but he is not "sure of his way," he just
      knows by
      going there. He does not see the way beforehand, and when he arrives,
      he
      arrives. His arrivals are usually departures from anything that
      resembles a
      "way." That is his way. But he cannot understand it. Neither can we.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      DAN:

      To paraphrase John Donne:
      Ask not who is fucked, for it
      is thee, it is thee.

      Throw not a thing in the garbage,
      unless you are willing to throw
      everything in the garbage.

      Now that everything else has been
      disposed of, throw the only awake
      being in the universe in the garbage.

      Now, everything has been disposed of.
      There is nothing left to get rid of.

      Hello?

      Hello?

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      BERTRAM:

      Namaste. My Guru, Sri Ramana Maharshi, taught me that the
      silent mind of Advaita is "not two" (non dual) . Since this E group is
      grounded in non duality may I ask: Is the "liar" different than the
      "believer"? ...And Who is it that ponders this question or asks it?

      Only by means of self enquiry is realization of the silent, non-dual-
      egoless mind possible.

      ANDREW:

      Yes.
      Abiding in and being the Self is realization.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      WHITE WOLF:

      A teacher who does not listen cannot teach.
      A student who does not question cannot learn.
      How much difference is there between them?

      A sage who justifies his wisdom is not respected
      A student who boasts of his learning is without merit.
      All those who brag, student or teacher, fail to endure.

      To persons who have discovered the Mystic Mind
      such things, however glorious, however brilliant
      are the rich detritus of fall rushing in winter's silence
      decay awaiting heavy stillness of snow upon cedars.

      Nothing good can come of them until they are
      burnt to white ashes and smoke in the Sacred Heart.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Mary quotes from ANTHONY DEMELLO'S

      "One Minute Wisdom"

      To a disciple who begged for wisdom
      the Master said, "Try this out: Close
      your eyes and see yourself and every
      living being thrown off the top of a precipice.
      Each time you cling to
      something to stop yourself from falling,
      understand that it is falling too......"

      The disciple tried it out and never
      was the same again.

      MARCIA:

      Telling the other guy what they are is