Sunday, October 29

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2000
      ROYAL

      Dear Friends,

      Today I celebrate the 27th anniversary of the wonder of my
      daughter's birth. As she begins her 27th year, I look back over
      love's gift of my beloved girl child's discovery of the beauty
      of this Divine creation. Oh, the lessons learned of love through
      her being! The lessons yet to unfold. Oh, the ineffable joy she
      has brought to this undeserving wretch's life!

      Divine Mother gazing at me through her eyes. Guiding me first
      through her need of me and then through her need for freedom.
      Loving me through her sweetness and caring. Teaching me through
      her of unconditional love.

      Elisabeth Sara Sanders. Born October 29, 1974. I celebrate and
      cherish her.

      With Love, Royal

      -----------------

      WHITE WOLF

      Socrates (maybe Plato) said something to the effect that we
      should all write a book, plant a tree and raise a child. i have
      always understood those words to mean something like, we write
      to know our mind, we plant to understand immortality, we nurture
      so that appreciate the fragility of Creation.

      DAVID HODGES

      Hi everyone, I have completely redesigned my website, to
      incorporate my journal. If you care to have a look, it is at
      http://www.outermost.com (It might be a bit slowing since the
      livejournal site, to which it is linked, can be slow at times).

      GENE POOLE

      Here is an interesting URL:
      <http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Stu/vmalinsk/art1staf/stih2.html>
      Follow the links. I would say that this is toward the 'nondual'.

      TIM GERCHMEZ

      All quotations are from "The Secret of Letting Go" by Guy
      Finley; (C) Copyright 1996 Llewellyn Publications; ISBN
      0-87542-223-3

      ---

      "Letting go of yourself is letting go of your problems, for they
      are one and the same."

      "Letting go takes no strength -- only a willingness to see the
      need for it."

      "Once you see the problem, you know the solution."

      "Letting go is the natural release which always follows the
      realization that holding on hurts."

      "Unhappiness does not come AT you, it comes FROM you."

      "What you really want is to stop thinking about yourself."

      "Real freedom is the absence of the self that feels trapped, not
      the trappings that self acquires to make it feel free."

      "Wanting to learn about yourself while limiting your discoveries
      to what you want to find is like saying 'I want to see the whole
      world from my bed'."

      "The only thing you lose when you let go of something you are
      afraid to live without is the fear itself."

      ---

      "You can let go of trying to change other people, because YOU
      are what is bothering you about them."

      "Happiness is letting go of your ideas about happiness."

      "Suffering now so that you can be happy in the future makes as
      much sense as throwing yourself overboard so that later you can
      feel relief about being rescued."

      "Learn to listen to any feelings that cast doubt on your need to
      suffer."

      "Walking away from the problems you don't want in your life gets
      easier each time it becomes clearer to you who you don't need to
      be."

      "True self-certainty is the absense of false self-doubt."

      WHITE WOLF

      Beloved NDS:

      white wolfe sends you Love, Compassion, Equanimity and Joy and
      this thought from Franz Kafka...

      "There are some things one can only achieve by a deliberate leap
      in the opposite direction. One has to go abroad in order to find
      the home one has lost."

      (once you find it, the universe is your home....happy trails to
      you, until we meet again!)

      further up and further in,

      white wolfe

      GENE POOLE

      I would take a poll (and I won't say where I would like to shove
      it, but you may have a fair guess), to ask of the gentle
      readers, would they prefer that I and others, simply ignore the
      troll, or to feed it, and if to feed, of what. I fear that any
      sustenance will be immediately 'hurled', so well fed is the
      troll, on the wretched effluvium of his own assumptions.

      So what is it to me, what is to be? If any object to this abject
      and abjuratory idiocy, if any would intend to quell, rather than
      ignore, if any would rather one way or another, make your voice
      known.

      And while this be fraught with humor, it is also with tragedy;
      for who among us, would willingly trade places with that
      disgruntled demigod of disgust? Who indeed, should or would
      stoop, to remove a wad of discarded chewing-gum from the sole,
      when it be far easier to simply give the boot?

      But no... we must of rights, prove here not only our endurance,
      but also our boundless compassion, and wait patiently for that
      fine day when finally, the toxic upheavals finally yield the
      heart of the one afflicted, then to be ministered to. And what a
      day that will be, the first anniversary of the first microsecond
      of self-awareness to be experienced by that most redoubtable of
      all trolls. Considering the potential, at the rate of one
      microsecond per year, it will be several million millennia
      before our captive troll realizes that his cage was unlocked,
      the entire time.

      So this we must heed, if we needs fulfill our destiny,
      collective or otherwise; and that is, to roll with the punch of
      the troll, or to show him the door, posthaste, no pun
      unintended.

      How to exorcise the foul spirit, without exercising, is the
      trick; and that, according to the ancient masters of yore, is to
      ignore.

      Disabusement is my amusement...

      --------------------------------

      MANCHINE

      These days this "Mad Max" video display is well under control of
      some unbenownst computer, I'd guess that there's some system
      supervisor, but he's occupied with other shit in some far
      reaching sector.

      The display flickers, but I'm fine. It's kinda cool. At the same
      time I'm in a vehicle racing across a desert, but without heat,
      continual vibrations and bouncing, but I'm behind the wheel and
      it doesn't matter which way I go.

      On one spread spectrum band, I connected, for a moment, to the
      main network trunkline, and had access to all of the channels at
      the same time, it lasted until the supervisor was alerted, who
      immediately put a huge tunneling sand monster in my path. Damn!
      I went and lost the channel, for not having my wits about me.

      The other channels of the SS band, had showed a conglomerate of
      other displays, like mine, but somehow they wove through the
      same fabric. I had even seen a faint escence of the sand monster
      and knew that it was there/forming. When the channel closed, it
      was all still there, like things tied together with invisible
      threads, but then, having to divert the damn sand buggy, I lost
      it.

      It was like a sense of there being one continuous scintilating
      existence, where THIS was like a twilight wonderland, like "I"
      was a half consious version of some incredible being. The more I
      focused on that, the less I could assimilate what that being
      was, and the more comfortable my flickering display felt.

      Fuck, I just can't explain this shit to nobody! They think I'm
      crazy.

      Oh well. Just wanted to let you know that I'm real fine. Gene
      and all, I'm just real fine.

      -------------------------

      MANCHINE AND GENE

      MANCHINE: These days this "Mad Max" video display is well under
      control of some unbenownst computer, I'd guess that there's some
      system supervisor, but he's occupied with other shit in some far
      reaching sector.

      GENE: Yes. "Local" SYSTEM is capable of autonomous
      self-regulation, limited only by established presets. These
      presets are configured to allow maximum interaction between each
      node and system itself. System is grooming each node for the
      role of Sysop, but very few nodes ever 'get the big picture'.
      Most nodes simply go on and on, in attempt to find a 'system'
      which complies with the configuration of the node.

      MANCHINE: The display flickers, but I'm fine. It's kinda cool.
      At the same time I'm in a vehicle racing across a desert, but
      without heat, continual vibrations and bouncing, but I'm behind
      the wheel and it doesn't matter which way I go.

      GENE: Yes. That is the default. Your 'share' of CPU-cycles will
      always show motion, the context is secondary.

      MANCHINE: On one spread spectrum band, I connected, for a
      moment, to the main network trunkline, and had access to all of
      the channels at the same time, it lasted until the supervisor
      was alerted, who immediately put a huge tunneling sand monster
      in my path. Damn! I went and lost the channel, for not having my
      wits about me.

      GENE: Now things are getting interesting. Your node 'normally'
      is in VPN mode; this is determined by your 'identity', which
      itself autoconfigures specific tunneling protocols. (IE, you
      preferences are the presets.)

      It is the 'momentary' loss of identity, which will drop you into
      the entire spectrum. Here, you can see all tunnels and those who
      labor in them. But you are correct; if you enter this vast
      spread spectrum realm without Root Privileges, you will be
      subsumed once again into your identity-bound tunnel. This does
      look like a large mouth coming to eat you, but remember, you are
      seeing an analogy of a computational function, which you were
      never meant to see.

      MANCHINE: The other channels of the SS band, had showed a
      conglomerate of other displays, like mine, but somehow they wove
      through the same fabric. I had even seen a faint escence of the
      sand monster and knew that it was there/forming. When the
      channel closed, it was all still there, like things tied
      together with invisible threads, but then, having to divert the
      damn sand buggy, I lost it.

      GENE: Yes. Here we can see, that the 'point' is to work directly
      with SYSTEM to gain Root Privileges. This is easy to state
      clearly; it means to treat all 'events' as 'mere computational
      functions', to understand that what is seen (like the
      sand-tunneling monster) is merely analogous to the functions of
      SYSTEM.

      Further, to take nothing 'personally', and to patiently wait to
      be contacted by SYSTEM. SYSTEM seems to present itself in ways
      which can be taken either as 'normal event' or 'direct yet
      analogous communication'. Most people, treat every event as the
      former, yet really, any event is the latter. It all depends on
      point of view.

      MANCHINE: It was like a sense of there being one continuous
      scintilating existence, where THIS was like a twilight
      wonderland, like "I" was a half consious version of some
      incredible being. The more I focused on that, the less I could
      assimilate what that being was, and the more comfortable my
      flickering display felt.

      GENE: Yes. It is difficult if not impossible to maintain
      'identity' while also looking through the eyes of SYSTEM. This
      is why I stress the analogy of the 'doll game'; this practice of
      dis-identification will eventually allow one to see the larger
      context, and eventually, the context of the overall imperative
      of SYSTEM. SYSTEM really does want aware nodes, but cannot allow
      'finish' without 'working to the finish line'.

      There are two ways to do this; one is to simply charge ahead,
      handling events as they 'seem'. The other, is to drop out, and
      wait for SYSTEM to manifest as the awareness which it is.

      MANCHINE: Fuck, I just can't explain this shit to nobody! They
      think I'm crazy.

      Oh well. Just wanted to let you know that I'm real fine. Gene
      and all, I'm just real fine.

      Love, Dave

      GENE: I have no doubt, Dave. Your metaphorical communications
      are not lost on me. It is good to have a vast wealth of concepts
      from which to draw material for analogical imaging, yes? This
      seems to be, at root, exactly how SYSTEM operates. The 'puny
      human' is puny, only because of a stubborn and naive insistence
      upon SYSTEM conforming to identity, rather than allowing
      identity to drop into analogical fragments from which it was
      originally assembled.

      Our friend Mark Otter showed us some pictures of still-life
      diorama, objects of significance posed in boxes. Identity is
      like this; merely objects of significance, arrayed in a certain
      order. They were all harvested from the world-dream, and adopted
      and made sacred, carried in the sacred medicine-bag of memory.

      It is the ultimate banishment of superstition and mysticism,
      which shows that the old bones and other trinkets, can be
      allowed to return to the dust from which they were made. Then
      the medicine-bag itself can be let go.

      Empty of memory, awareness is shockingly stark, but
      diamond-clear and sharp. All memory can then be re-ordered, in
      compliance with SYSTEM priorities. It is only at this point,
      that SYSTEM will grant SYSADMIN status to that node. SYSTEM is
      actually always in charge, but allows each tunneling node to
      order its own mojo.

      From <http://members.home.net/alterra/cosm.htm>

      [begin quote]

      COSMOLOGY: INTELLIGENCE AND INFINITY IN LANGUAGE

      "Scrape the surface of language, and you will behold
      interstellar space and the skin that encloses it." - Velimir
      Khlebnikov, Zangezi, trans. Paul Schmidt

      During a recent conversation with the English experimental poet
      Tom Raworth, my colleague Lyn Hejinian said, as close as I can
      remember: "Language is much bigger and smarter than we are. We
      should let it speak...The possibilities are infinite."

      <>

      In this thinking, when we write poetry, there is a necessary
      suspension, a "float," whereby we make space for the new and
      appropriate word or phrase to appear. This suspension is
      analogous, in my quantum-cosmological model, to the moment
      before the collapse of the wave function, when the photon goes
      one way or another as I observe it doing so. For purposes of the
      analogy, it doesn't matter whether I somehow unconsciously
      "choose" for the photon to go one way rather than another - or
      whether one "I" chooses to inhabit the universe in which the
      photon goes that way, while another "I," brought into being that
      moment, "chooses" the universe in which it goes the other way.
      Or - if we are loyal followers of Einstein, who hated to think
      that God plays dice - we could say that the universe chooses for
      me which way the photon will go. And it is a truism that in
      writing well, we often have the sensation of receiving words
      from a mysteriously familiar "elsewhere." This source may also
      feel like an "elsewhom," a power beyond our conscious control,
      but one with which we have entered, momentarily, into a covenant
      like the ones the Greeks often made between themselves and the
      gods. The basis of this covenant was the similarity between
      humans and gods, their common ancestry as children of Earth and
      Sky, Time and Space.

      [end quote]

      It is important to always remember that what we know, is known
      only by what we have known. To escape this confinement, it is
      necessary to know that we do not know what we do not know. In
      this manner, is space opened, in which may be displayed SYSTEM
      as the vast and living intelligence which it is.