Highlights of Friday, October 27, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2000
      "Awareness does not mean carelessness.
      Deep wisdom does not require reckless behavior. Aggression is not proof
      of authenticity. Bad manners do not always indicate enlightenment :-).

      SKY So, how does one Know? I never Know. Do you?

      Knowing the "other" is through the mask of the "I."

      SKY Honestly, Harsha, I absolutely "Know" what you mean. I swear, I
      say it all the time, see it all the time, feel it, breath it, all the
      time. But I STILL never Know. (And, you know what, I'm gladder and
      gladder of it all the time. NOT that I believe in "progress," nor any
      of its certainties. I don't. Otherwise, I'd Know.)

      But if you're focused on the word "mask," as you may be, then
      you, too, know that you never Know, and know that you don't even know

      Perhaps what you are saying Sky is that the "Knowing" is not known separate
      from It Self. "I" wants to Know. But "Knowing" devours the "I." Then the "I"
      is not separate from the "Knowing." So Who Truly Knows? Who can say, "I
      Know" when The Self Knowing has no reference point.

      The mask itself (the personality sense) is indicative of a particular focus
      in terms of preferences, likes, dislikes, joys, sorrows, love, rage, hate,
      etc. That is the nature of a "mask" - an ongoing appearance of changes in
      mental and bodily patterns and structures. The "Knowing" does not invalidate
      the mask and the mask cannot completely hide or contain the "Knowing", as
      the mask itself is a condition, a programmed pattern of thoughts, waves that
      rises from the "Knowing" and subsides back into It.

      DAN & HARSHA

      Thanks, Harsha-ji.
      In my case, though,
      as you've probably noticed,
      bad manners are equivalent with enlightenment.

      That's because I took enlightenment
      by the throat, wrestled it to the
      ground, and screamed obscenities
      at it until it gave up.

      I guess we each just speak according
      to our experience.

      ****Yes, it was quite a match. And I enjoyed being the referee, except the
      time that I was accidentally kicked doing the one two three countdown as you
      pinned poor enlightenment. By the way, the diamonds on the championship belt
      are fake. :-).

      I guess we each just speak according
      to our experience.

      ****Speech itself is an experience of referring to other experiences and

      I don't think it is a problem. I am beginning to think
      that this is how it is supposed to be. To be alive is to
      feel. It isn't about acting like we are feeling but really
      feeling. I suspect there is the 'other side' of this which
      Jan could comment on but still 'this' can't be avoided.
      Can't take a camel through the eye of a needle.
      Camel perhaps being protection against consciously feeling.
      As G. said conscious labor and intentional suffering.
      We are totally helpless to do anything about it and in
      that helplessness, we are found. There is nothing to
      be done. I mean I can't do anything. Perhaps this is
      what is meant by 'no doer'. It is not to say that doing
      doesn't happen.

      I'm still bewildered by this. It seems to me that the same enlightened
      blindness that looses sight of the doer also can't find any doing. You
      can't not have your cake but still eat it. If there's no cake, there's
      no eating. Maybe there's a difference between analysis and experience.
      Analysis can't find anything, but experience is full and empty at the
      same time, so to speak, maybe.

      I am thinking it is kind of like 'being in the zone'.
      If I try to do, the trying seems to get in the way.
      Trying seems to be associated with a doer or
      someone who is trying. There is an agenda; hidden
      or otherwise.

      The Gurdjieff Movements are an excellent source
      of instruction. Attention is required as there are many
      and complex movements. On occasion the person
      who is doing all this trying just sorts of pops out of
      the way. The Movement get done. The Movement
      comes through the body. Attention is still a must
      but there is no one trying. Also the field of awareness
      expands and there is a group movement.

      Marcia, I know what you mean but I think I'm more interested in ordinary
      life. Nonordinary is a lot of work even if the worker eventually
      disappears. I'm pretty lazy; that's part of the attraction to
      nonduality. You don't have to do anything; you don't even have to lose
      the loser. No need to make ordinary nonordinary because nonordinary is
      really ordinary in the sense of being temporary. If temporary isn't a
      problem, maybe ordinary isn't a problem. I don't know. I'm just thinking
      with my fingers.

      ***** What is all this looking for attention business, if not
      suffering itself? If we're not looking for the attention of others
      we're looking for the attention of some God in heaven somewhere.
      Who or what is it that needs attention?

      All frequent posters should be asking themselves this question.

      But the infrequent posters shouldn't because they're not as cheap,
      promiscuous and excessive!!

      Frequent is a relative term of course:

      Joe entered a monastery where the rule of silence was very strict. Only
      once every seven years was a monk allowed to speak -- briefly -- to the
      father abbot.
      Joe had been a monk for seven years -- his time came to speak.
      "Have you anything to say?" asked the abbot.
      "Yes," replied Joe. "Bed's too hard!"
      Seven more years passed, and again brother Joe was permitted to speak.
      "Anything to say?" asked the abbot.
      "Food's terrible!" said Joe.
      After seven more years of silence, he came once more before the Father
      Abbot. "Anythiang to say?"
      "Yes, I'm leaving!"
      "Well," said the abbot, "I'm bloody well glad to hear it. You have done
      nothing but complain since you've been here!"

      Beloved Judi:

      We have never met, but u have changed my life! u cured me of
      the'disease of
      your gentle humor is a gift from beyond!

      white wolfe

      That has got to be one of the nicest, if not the nicest compliment I
      have ever received. Thank you.

      Praise be to God,

      Dear NDS:

      Gratitude! Keep up the work! It is (w)Hol(l)y.

      i crossed a river i been afraid of for most of my life. in some small way those
      of you who bothered themselves to pretend that i matter by acknowledging my
      feeble whimpers have helped me journey further up and further in. i took the
      first tenative step to becoming a Camaldolese Oblate of the Order of St.
      Benedict, a continuation of my journey that will allow me to reconcile a duality
      within, the need for an ascetic life of contemplation with the need to rejoice
      and serve within a community of Love.

      The Beloved is My Abode.

      I am divinely guided.
      I am on the Way.
      I am the Way where there is none.

      further up and further in,

      white wolfe

      I am starting a new list on my website (not an email list). It is the
      list of people who no longer want to be on the nondual teachers list. So
      far the list includes Don James, who voluntarily took himself off the
      realizers/confessors list. As well, the rumor is that Mikaire no longer
      considers himself a spiritual teacher. The rumor has not yet been
      confirmed, except Mikaire's website is off the air.

      Is there anyone else who wants to be on this exclusive list? I will be
      taking myself off the realizers/confessors list and adding myself to the
      list of people who don't want to be on the realizers/confessors list,
      because I think we are seeing the beginning of a definite movement. And
      I want to be at the forefront of the movement. Why? you ask. Why not? If
      I'm no longer an enlightened teacher of nonduality I can do whatever I
      please. I'm free. I don't have to explain.

      Now, let me conclude by saying that it is not easy to get on the list of
      people who don't want to be on the list. I will be the one to decide who
      is genuine and who isn't. I will even be rating the people on the list
      who don't want to be on the list as to the degree they stand free from
      the spiritual teachers list. Now it is not beyond my field of perception
      to realize at once that there are people who will not want to be on the
      list of people who don't want to be on the list. Those people will most
      certainly be listed.