Correction to Wednesday, October 25 hilites

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2000
      It occurred to me that when I edited Ed's letter I completely reversed
      his meaning, so here it is again! Enjoy!

      --Jerry

      ED ARRONS

      The question that arose with me ... was whether the 'unlimited'
      self as pure awareness, or the 'separate' body-mind self, can
      really exsist as such. It seems to me that what is being *heard*
      on NDS was that it was not possible; it had to be one or the
      other.

      What is becoming evermore clear to me lately, is that there is a
      Self which is neither and both. This is seen as a Self aware of
      the *actions* of the body-mind which then temporarily identifies
      with or becomes those actions...while the body-mind becomes
      obscured, though not unreal. The artist and athlete 'losing' the
      Self in their activity, comes to mind.

      But the termination of activity, certain interactions, and
      reactions can curtail this very awareness; this curtailment of
      awareness narrows to a 'frequency' of inner sensation which is
      identified as the body-mind self. The Self which notices this
      interplay between awareness per se and its reformation as inner
      sensation is the 'neither and both' self to which I referred.

      An interesting point here is when the body-mind comes to a place
      of stillness and disengages from its reference to linear
      reality. Then the Self cannot see the body-mind, since it can
      only see its actions in the linear realm. Thus the body-mind is
      temporarily obscured and becomes the stillness. I think this
      might be called samahdi.

      So what is this Self that is neither pure awareness nor the
      body-mind? It is the Self that functions in the world but is not
      of the world.