#5127 – Difference Between Empathy and Sympathy

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2013
      The Nonduality Highlights - Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - Edited by Jerry Katz

      The material for today's issue was provided by long time reader Valerie Cooper.

      from www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/12/11/brene-brown-rsa-animated/

      Brené Brown on Vulnerability, Human Connection, and the Difference Between
      Empathy and Sympathy, Animated

      by Maria Popova

      In 2010, shame and empathy researcher Dr. Brené Brown gave us the wonderful and
      culturally necessary The Gifts of Imperfection, exploring the uncomfortable
      vulnerability and self-acceptance required in order to truly connect with
      others. In this charming short film, the folks of the Royal Society for the
      encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, better-known as the RSA, put a
      twist on their usual live-illustrated gems and take a page out of the TED-Ed
      book, teaming up with animator Katy Davis to bring to life an excerpt from
      Brown’s longer talk on the power of vulnerability and the difference between
      empathy and sympathy, based on her most recent self-helpy-sounding but
      enormously insightful and rigorously researched book, Daring Greatly: How the
      Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
      (public library).

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw

      "The truth is, rarely can a response make something better — what makes something
      better is connection."

      And that connection often requires mutual vulnerability. Brown writes in Daring
      Greatly:

      Vulnerability isn’t good or bad. It’s not what we call a dark emotion, nor is it
      always a light, positive experience. Vulnerability is the core of all emotions
      and feelings. To feel is to be vulnerable. To believe vulnerability is weakness
      is to believe that feeling is weakness. To foreclose on our emotional life out
      of a fear that the costs will be too high is to walk away from the very thing
      that gives purpose and meaning to living.

      […]

      Vulnerability is the birthplace of love, belonging, joy, courage, empathy,
      accountability, and authenticity. If we want greater clarity in our purpose or
      deeper and more meaningful spiritual lives, vulnerability is the path.

      Watch Brown’s full RSA talk below:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXSjc-pbXk4