Highlights of Friday October 20, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2000
      Dear Gene

      Blown away by these
      Absolutely to the point observations
      To me a perfect example to me of what NDS is

      I experience, part of me out there
      At this point in time
      Coming in to break whatever institutionalisation might have been creeping
      in.

      Feeling what you write - the mind quietens
      And I am breathing deeply

      Anywhere within duality, humanity,
      Mind is going to want to create something
      Fixed what it knows, so that it can relate to it.
      'Now I've got it'. 'Know I've got it.'
      'I want to tell you what I know.'

      And being human in NDS
      We're not separate from that
      The mind is going to come in and want to create structure and rules and
      viewpoints and react
      Because that is what it does.

      And being true to truth and ourselves
      This means, from time to time, breaking everything

      Your letter does this
      Cuts through the mind and the separation

      Of anyone presuming that they know
      Or thinking my way is the best
      That I know more than you.

      And the beautiful irony is
      Is that we will build up the structures
      Time and time again
      And knock them down

      I'm noticing how I notice people on the 'panel'
      Rarely setting themselves apart
      Rarely assuming any fixed identity
      Ready instead to include all the identities
      Coming not from any position of setting themselves up
      Being wiser than that
      But out of - dare I say it - love

      Yes, if I come expecting anything from NDS
      Or wanting to prove my point
      Or needing anything
      I will go away the same.

      Thank you
      Non-institutionally yours also

      Alexandra

      ______________________________________

      Hi Sandeep,

      You posted from Adi Da, in part :

      The Man of Understanding

      <snip>

      " His quality is an offense to those who are
      entranced, elsewhere, contained
      in the mechanics of experience, asleep, living as various forms of
      identity,
      separation and
      dependence. He is acceptable only to those who understand."

      The use of the words "offense" and "acceptable" are
      interesting.

      I just bought the book "Knee of Listening",
      based on Liliana's recommendation a few weeks
      past, and when I opened it casually, and let the
      pages fall as they may,

      these were the first words my eyes read,

      "I am here to receive, and kiss, and embrace
      everyone, everything -
      everything that appears, everything that is."

      With this, his statement about being 'offensive'
      is given a wider context.

      I suspect that when he "kisses" what
      is known by the "entranced"

      as a tyrant, or a thief, or just a
      'horse's ass',

      that could be seen as rather 'offensive'
      to those that don't 'understand'.

      love,
      Melody

      "Somebody once said.."

      All illusion was originally reality.

      love,
      andrew

      Harsha
      > Is this a standard netism

      Bruce:
      Could be, I dunno!

      Harsha:
      > or did you work
      > it out from scratch?

      Bruce:
      Yup -- it wasn't hard to
      infer given the context.
      Sri Bruceji, it is once again time to acknowledge your natural brilliance. I
      had no clue as to the meaning of GMAFB. Also, I want to show a delayed
      appreciation for your explanation of what hoisted on one's own petard meant.
      You deserve a wider audience brother, perhaps as a newspaper columnist like
      Sydney Harris who used to write a most interesting column on things he
      discovered while looking up totally unrelated things.

      Love
      Harsha

      Dear Matthew,

      Yes, I get that you're talking
      about the world of persons who
      speak as individuals with feelings
      and with assumptions that
      there are others there
      involved and related.

      And yes, I live in that world too.

      And although conceptual, consensus, and
      conventional, it is not to be dismissed,
      avoided or minimized.

      If you feel it necessary to share some
      personalized impression you have of me,
      fine. I'll read it. But so what?
      I've never met you. I don't know
      you in a personal way.
      I've read what you posted and life goes on.

      And with regards to wanting
      to tell others who haven't
      invited it about perceptions
      of their "blind spots":

      If ME desires to tell you something
      about your blind spots, and
      you haven't requested this,
      ME can take the opportunity
      to look at the desire
      to tell someone out there
      what their blind spots
      "really are". How does
      this work for ME?

      When I read unsolicited personalized feedback
      offered to various posters, along with
      venting emotions, projecting an image of knowing
      everything about everybody, and trying to have
      personalized encounters -- I take it with a grain
      of salt. It often comes across as unresolved
      personal issues that are unlikely to
      find resolution here, in a forum based
      merely on words arising on a screen. Que sera, sera.

      As far as loved ones in my life,
      assertive communication with
      caring and empathy works,
      rarely blaming or
      aggressive confrontation.

      If one feels disappointed that someone didn't
      meet one's image, I suggest discussing that in terms
      of one's own feelings regarding disconfirmation
      of images and expectations, rather than imposing that
      image and insisting that someone else's shortcoming
      is involved.

      Listening is essential.
      Real listening.
      Not blaming, criticizing,
      haranguing, image-promoting, etc.

      Do I claim that I am perfect, beyond
      any shortcoming, never passive or
      aggressive? No.
      Do I claim to be free of all introjects
      and to never project? No.

      I do know an unprojected reality.
      It isn't the property of "Dan", nor
      does it make "Dan" into a perfect being.
      It animates "Dan's" awareness as Awareness.
      It doesn't depend on Dan, nor is there
      any anchor in Dan's reality for it.

      The fact that That animates this now, as
      we speak, is my Peace. It doesn't belong
      to me or anyone. This Peace which we can't
      give here with our words, animates this typing.
      It animates your typing.
      It animates the opinion that I voice,
      and it animates the opinion that you voice.
      Although impersonal, it is in no way
      divorced from the personal.

      As I see it, opening to the numinous
      as inclusive of the personal, conventional,
      day to day means not to need, not to have
      to get, nor to eliminate wanting or desire.
      It is transformational in the sense that
      love is present. Right here, now, in this
      day to day stuff as is.

      By the way, yes, there are times that I do
      request and offer feedback about
      blind spots with someone who is a lover,
      friend, or family member.
      And indeed, feeling level communication
      is important in those relationships.
      And in an atmosphere of
      caring, respect, mutuality.

      Love,
      Dan

      And finally, in spite of all the apparent
      ME's - there is only one core efforting
      that forms as ME.

      So yes, what you say about that fits for
      me with what I was saying.

      The conceptual human mind which
      "produces" us all as body-minds has this
      ME-effort as center for the
      process that results in
      conceptual reality
      being construed as reality.

      If seeing this ME-activity is at root
      the same ME, that the many ME's
      are ME, there can be ending
      of the ME with clear-seeing
      here, now.

      (Not seen by ME.
      Seen by That from which the
      conceptual human mind arises.

      Directly seeing - Awareness.)

      If you ask me how do I, Dan, know
      this - I'd have to say I don't.

      If you ask how can I prove this,
      I can't.

      It can only be proved directly, here
      now, without ME present.

      ME doesn't see through ME, nor through
      all the apparent ME's.

      What sees through ME, sees through all
      ME's, is just this, who you are.

      That's it.

      Love,
      Dan

      Hey NDS:

      Ken is an Camaldolese Oblate of the Order of Saint Benedict (a monk) who
      publishes poetry on one of the Thomas Merton websites I monitor. It seems
      apposite to the vituperative brinkmanship at NDS these days. Everybody needs to
      take a valium or maybe a draught of sacramental wine from the chalice of
      humility.

      "Yet with nobler reason 'gainst my fury
      Do I take part. The rarer action is
      In virtue not vengeance."
      -Shakespeare

      Anyway, Ken's poetry is lean and clean and to the point.

      fufi

      White Wolfe

      God speaking...

      when someone
      comes to me
      and says
      'i love you'
      i consider
      this is God speaking.

      when someone
      comes to me
      and says
      'i am angry with you'
      i consider this is
      God speaking.

      sometimes love,
      sometimes anger,
      --always truth,

      therefore, always
      God
      to see me through.

      ken phelan

      THE SAME LIGHT IN ALL

      When in meditation we discover that we are a soul of Light, not far behind
      hopefully will be the realization that all souls are Light, that all
      life is One. There is an inherent oneness and unity of all life that
      can be realized. "Love your neighbor as yourself" is a saying of Christ
      from the New Testament. A Hindu or Vedic translation of that verse might
      be: "Love your neighbor as your Self (Atman)." Self-realization via a
      meditation practice leads to not only a transformed perception of our
      own true identity, but allows us to also behold others in a new Light.
      We see that same Light in all creation. Or as Master Rajinder Singh said:
      "As the soul journeys into the beyond and experiences it's relationship
      with God it has a great realization. It sees each living thing, whether
      human, animal, or plant, as a part of God. It sees that there is a soul
      in every living thing. Once we experience that we are all part of God,
      we begin to see God's Light shining in all."

      ("Inner & Outer Peace Through
      Meditation," by Rajinder Singh, Element Books)

      James