#5066 - Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2013
      #5066 - Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The most recent Nonduality Network Talk Radio show may be heard here:

      Description of nondual understanding from the indigenous-inspired writings of Joanne Light. We play Indian Love Chant, by Douglas Spotted Eagle. Power of vision quest, dances, drumming, rituals. Song: Land of Promise. Interview with Jerry discussed and the question of whether he is enlightened. Audio clip of Robert Adams speaking about his meeting with Ramana Maharshi and how RM was "a natural man."

      Here are some excerpts I extracted from an article noted in Facebook by Laura Caitlin Burke:

      ‘Dozens of mental disorders don’t exist’ and DSM-5 is ‘a fiction’ of ideology, U.S. therapist claims

      In his riveting tale of how psychiatrists “medicalize” human suffering, Gary Greenberg recounts that, in 1850, a physician called Samuel Cartwright reported a new disease in the highly respected New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal. Cartwright named it drapetomania, from the ancient Greek drapetes for a runaway slave; in other words, here was a disease that “caused Negroes to run away.” It had one primary diagnostic symptom — “absconding from service” — and a few secondary ones, including “sulkiness and dissatisfaction just prior to flight.”

      ~ ~ ~

      Updated at regular intervals — DSM-5, the fifth edition, was published in May — it has considerable influence worldwide, including in the U.K., where it underpins several clinical guidelines on mental health. Yet Greenberg holds that by imposing a pseudoscientific model on our “hopelessly complex” inner world, it creates a “charade” of non-existent disorders.

      ~ ~ ~

      So what needs to happen? Psychiatrists, he believes, must narrow their scope — to make a “reasonable claim” for certain mental illnesses falling within their domain. “When the DSM was published there were 14 mental disorders and now there are 250 — it needs to scale back.”

      There is a place for drug treatments, he says, although “you only have to look at the clinical trials to see they help some people but not all.”

      Above all, psychiatrists need to be more honest with their patients, he believes. “They shouldn’t tell people their illness is caused by a chemical imbalance when there is no evidence this exists. Psychiatry has little knowledge of the underlying processes governing mental health and it should not pretend otherwise.”

      —The Book of Woe: The DSM and the Unmaking of Psychiatry’ by Gary Greenberg is published by Ingram International Inc.

      While the psychiatry community (with plenty of individual exceptions!) has us fooled about much regarding mental illness, the dietary/nutrition community has us fooled about the value of wheat and grains. Here is an open letter from Dr. William Davis to Tom Hanks. Hanks recently made a public statement that he had been diagnosed with diabetes 2.

      Here's the letter:

      Dear Mr. Hanks–

      I believe it was very courageous to share your diagnosis on television with a national audience. I am sure you will be flooded by well-wishers as well as many people with advice. I’d nonetheless like to alert you to several issues relevant to diabetes:

      –The majority of diabetes is reversible. Most people can make the choice to have diabetes or to not have it. I hope that you choose not to have it. This is because it is caused by diet. Sadly, it is caused by conventional advice to “cut your fat and eat healthy whole grains.” People often blame too many soft drinks and junk food, but there are many people like you who, I’m sure, try to eat well and don’t drink or eat sugary foods–yet have diabetes. This is due to grains.

      More than sugary foods, grains raise blood sugar to high levels. The glycemic indexes, for instance, of whole wheat bread, oatmeal, and multigrain breads are among the highest of all foods. They ENSURE having high blood sugars. (To see for yourself, use your glucose meter and check a blood sugar immdiately prior to a meal; consume the food in question, then recheck a blood sugar at 1-hour after eating, not 2 hours as often advised to assess the adequacy of blood sugar control on diabetes medication. You want the blood sugar peak, which is around 1 hour. You will see blood sugars of 200, 250, or 300 mg/dl after eating grains.) High blood sugars from “healthy whole grains” are also toxic to the beta cells of the pancreas (“glucotoxicity”), making blood sugars go even higher. In some people, the loss of beta cells means there can be no reversing diabetes, but this is less common early in the diagnosis.

      –Ignore conventional dietary advice. Even better, do the opposite. Unfortunately, in the world of conventional diabetes advice, including that from most healthcare professionals, “Stupid is as stupid does.” The diet advised for people with diabetes makes fasting blood sugar and HbA1c (the 90-day measure of blood sugar) go higher, not lower.

      –There are a number of other reasons that grains, especially wheat (white and whole) can be blamed: The gliadin protein of wheat is degraded in the gastrointestinal tract to small peptides that act as opiates and bind to the opiate receptors of the human brain. This triggers appetite for carbohydrates, the worst foods to eat for anyone with diabetes. Wheat germ agglutinin, another protein in wheat, blocks leptin and cholecystokinin, both of which should trigger satiety. In the presence of wheat, appetite is not satisfied.

      Beyond the powerful strategy of grain elimination, we do not restrict fats but get plenty of olive oil, coconut oil, and the fats from animal organs and meats and supplement with:

      –Vitamin D–The insulin-sensitizing effects of raising your 25-hydroxy vitamin D level to 60-70 ng/ml helps regain control over blood sugar. A typical male requires 6000 units of D3 in gelcap form to achieve this level.

      –Magnesium supplementation–While the effect is modest, correcting common magnesium deficiencies stacks the odds in your favor of regaining control over blood sugar. I advocate magnesium malate, 1200 mg, twice per day.

      –Omega-3 fatty acids–from fish oil. After eating a meal, there is a flood of particles in the bloodstream (lipoproteins), representing the digestive byproducts of the foods consumed. These particles can block insulin. Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil activate an enzyme that accelerates clearance of after-meal lipoproteins, reducing their insulin-blocking effect. I advocate 3000-3600 mg per day of the EPA + DHA omega-3 fatty acids, divided in two doses for assured day-long reduction of lipoproteins.

      Those of us who follow the above principles drop fasting blood sugar and HbA1c precipitously, often enough to get off medication, reduce HbA1c into the 5.0% range, and become assuredly NON-diabetic. Even if you are among the few who have impaired pancreatic beta cells and produce insufficient insulin, elimination of grains will minimize need for medications. And, by the way, we should also pass this information onto David Letterman, who also admitted to having high blood sugars during your interview.

      My sincerest hopes that you benefit from these suggestions, I remain

      William Davis, MD
      Author, Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight and Find Your Path Back to Health