#5044 - Sunday, October 6th, 2013 - Editor: Dustin LindenSmith

  • Dustin LindenSmith
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6 4:54 PM
      #5044 - Sunday, October 6th, 2013 - Editor: Dustin LindenSmith

      In case of formatting errors, the issue I'm highlighting today is #4129 by Mark Otter, which you may access directly here:

      Today's issue originally came out when Gabrielle Giffords was shot in 2011. For some reason, that brought to mind an article I read this week on how the effect of diminished belief in free will might affect interpersonal behaviour and relationships. The author of the piece also cites some recent research on the topic:

      The article referred to a book I'd never heard of by the co-discoverer of the DNA double-helix, Francis Crick, called The Astonishing Hypothesis. In the book, which he wrote later in his career after changing course from molecular biology to neuroscience, Crick discusses his belief that our mental life is entirely generated by the physical stuff of the brain.

      I recently heard this described another way: namely, that our mental activity unfolds naturally without our conscious involvement just like any other pattern of molecular movement found anywhere else in the universe. The only difference? It seems to us as though we have free agency over that activity, over those thoughts, and over those actions. But neuroscientists are pretty much agreed on the conclusion that this is an illusion in our own minds, a trick of perception.

      I can think of numerous biological reasons for humans to possess this illusion of free will; without it, it could well have been too difficult for us to organize into communities and work together to develop as a race. Now, however, we find ourselves a part of a swirling movement throughout humanity that seeks to look beyond those appearances. And of course like anything else, this movement is just as much a natural part of the universe's unfolding as any other phenomenon.

      In other words, it's no big deal either.

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4129, Sunday, January 9, 2011

      Ed note: I have to admit, I'm wrestling with the recent shooting of the only Arizona politician whom I really love and respect... Oh well. Gabrielle Giffords is an amazingly lovely person. I wish her well, and I regret the atmosphere here in AZ and in the US, which may have lead to her difficulty and the other folks who died at the hands of someone whom I suspect was deeply troubled. I hope this edition of the HLs points to another, better way to be.

      For me the moment of death will be a moment of jubilation, not of fear. I cried when I was born and I shall die laughing.

      It is silence behind the words,
      not the meaning of the words,
      that is the substance of speech.

      It is the emptiness of my heart,
      not my longing,
      that fills me with joy.

      Bill Rishel, posted to The_NowTwo

      Liberate yourself by examining and analyzing.
      Know your own mind with honesty and fearlessness.
      See what leads to more freedom and what leads to more suffering.
      This can liberate you from continually getting hooked
      by self-centered thoughts and emotions,
      the root of all dissatisfaction.

      - Pema Chodron, from Always Maintain a Joyful Mind, posted to DailyDharma

      It's good to leave each day behind,
      like flowing water, free of sadness.
      Yesterday is gone and its tale told.
      Today new seeds are growing.

      - Rumi, posted to Distillation

      Your true substance is concealed in falsehood,
      like the taste of butter in buttermilk.
      Your falsehood is this perishable body;
      your truth is that exalted spirit.
      For many years, this buttermilk of the body
      is visible and manifest, while the butter, which is the spirit,
      is perishing and ignored within it -
      until God sends a prophet, a chosen servant,
      a shaker of the buttermilk in the churn,
      who skillfully shakes it, so that you might know
      your true self which was hidden.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi IV: 3030-3034,, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, from Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to Sunlight

      In my world there is community, insight, love, real quality; the individual is the total, the totality is in the individual. All are One and the One is All..

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to ANetofJewels.

      Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.

      - Mark Twain