#5038 - Sunday, September 29, 2013 - Editor: Dustin LindenSmith

  • Dustin LindenSmith
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2013

    #5038 - Sunday, September 29, 2013 - Editor: Dustin LindenSmith

    Personal time constraints prevent me from including any exhaustive commentary or new material in my issue of the Highlights today. In fact, yesterday's issue from Jerry was so good I was tempted to re-post it today as a Highlight of the Highlights... :)

    Instead, however, I've selected a July 4th edition from 2011 from Gloria which spoke to me in various ways.

    The first quotation reminds us about the perils of "trying" to become enlightened or "trying" to release attachment

    to desire
    .

    The second reminds us of the fallacy of our perception of "difference"

    between
     the world's religions.

    The third reminds us not to take ourselves so seriously, nor to seek perfection so strongly.

    The fourth reminds us of the healing we can experience when we stop "hiding from ourselves," which I read more personally as a reminder to be abjectly truthful with

    my
    sel
    about where
    I am
    , and to eschew the belief in the
    seemingly
    unending stories
     tell
    myself
     about
    "who I am
    .
    "

    The fifth is a nice Alan Watts film from the 1970s that discusses nature

    , among other things
    . I tend to find his stuff a bit dated now, not quite as fresh, although like a Lee Morgan album on Blue Note from the 1960s, if you consider it as it would have been received in the time of its original release, some of what's discussed is kind of groundbreaking for that moment in time.

    Here's an animated video of a short talk given by Watts that's part of his long-form podcast series that's totally worth listening to if you want to unpack the pedagogy of Zen and other Eastern spiritual traditions. The title claims it was animated by the creators of South Park, but I doubt that claim's veracity. It's just kind of fun to watch:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YgEhvZDZVg

    Dustin

    PS: Please forgive some of the formatting errors we've been experiencing lately; we're working on resolving them in the coming issues.
    Photos included in Gloria's original 2011 issue may also not come through properly in today's edition.