#5025 - Monday, September 16, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2013

      #5025 - Monday, September 16, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      "In one of the Upanishads it says, when the glow of a sunset holds you and you
      say 'Aha,' that is the recognition of the divinity. And when you say 'Aha' to an
      art object, that is a recognition of divinity. And what divinity is it? It is your
      divinity, which is the only divinity there is. We are all phenomenal
      manifestations of a divine will to live, and that will and the consciousness of
      life is one in all of us, and that is what artwork expresses."
      ~ Joseph Campbell, “Creativity,” The Mythic Dimension, p.154
      via Greg Allen Morgoglione on Facebook

      Unencumbered by our definitions, we experience ourselves as conscious
      intelligence, aware of itself as open, endless space...
      ~ Gangaji

      See your nature become a buddha
      there is no other buddha
      the ancients said it best
      then you grab but nothing is there
      don't be mislead by words
      despite the million kinds of fiction
      all lead back to a single truth
      this old monk is writing it down
      addressing it Ironwall Liu in the Clouds
      ~ Stonehouse
      'For Layman Ironwall Liu' from 'The Zen Works of Stonehouse: Poems and
      Talks of a 14th Century Chinese Hermit'. Translated by Red Pine.

        If it rains fire
      By Allama Prabhu
      (12th Century)
      English version by A. K. Ramanujan
      If it rains fire
                you have to be as the water;
      if it is a deluge of water
                you have to be as the wind;
      if it is the Great Flood,
                you have to be as the sky;
      and if it is the Very Last Flood of all the worlds,
                you have to give up self
      and become the Lord.
      from Speaking of Siva, by A K Ramanujan
      An aerial view of suburban streets flooded in Longmont, Colorado September 13, 2013
      Ivan Granger of Poetry Chaikhana lives a few blocks from this flooded part of
      his town. He wrote his reflections here:
      "Relinquishing that notion of human control offers a strange sort of peace.
      Instead of control and certainty, we encounter… awe. What’s more, we regain
      community with the planet. The immense forces of nature can serve to remind us
      that we never live exclusively in the man-made world. No matter how high we
      build, how powerful the tools we wield, no matter how we live, we always exist
      within nature’s world. In a terrible way, natural disasters remind us of our

      More and more I have come to admire resilience.
      Not the simple resistance of a pillow, whose foam
      returns over and over to the same shape, but the sinuous
      tenacity of a tree: finding the light newly blocked on one side,
      it turns in another. A blind intelligence, true.
      But out of such persistence arose turtles, rivers,
      mitochondria, figs -- all this resinous, unretractable earth.
      ~ Jane Hirshfield
      (Given Sugar, Given Salt)