#5021 - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2013
      #5021 - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Here's the latest Nonduality Network Talk Radio show, aired earlier today. We talk about these topics:

      Francis Lucille retreat. Pacific Ocean beaches vs Atlantic Ocean beaches. Air travel and airports. Dustin LindenSmith. James Traverse. Nonduality Satsang meetup in Nova Scotia. Audio of Francis Lucille speaking. Nonsanto Corporation. Nutrition and diet. And other things:

      The archive of past shows is at http://nonduality.net

      Greg Allen Morgoglione

      Today is the 12 year anniversary of the day I walked away from corporate America. I was sales manager for a financial firm with ties to Wall Street. My reps spent their days talking to people in and near the World Trade Center.

      As the attacks unfolded my reps and I agreed that calling our clients and trying to sell things to them was a bit, well... wrong. I approached the owners and asked to send my reps home, but it took about three hours for them to decide that things were bad enough to forego a little sales income.

      That was it for me.

      After a handful of hours at home watching replay after replay I knew it was time to make a change in my life. I shut the TV off and began to write...

      I made a lot more money in the dozen years before 2001, but I've been more richly rewarded in the dozen years since.

      ~ ~ ~

      Written in the week following the attacks of September 11th, 2001.

      The song is a "challenge" song - challenging us to drop the fighting...

      Enza Vita

      Clouds and Bright Blue Sky

      September 12, 2013 at 1:20am

      How many of you when you practice meditation are bothered by thoughts? In some meditation circles, a pretty common topic is how to be constantly mindful without being distracted by thoughts. But I would like to suggest that the thoughts are not the problem.

      Gampopa, a very famous Tibetan Buddhist teacher of the 16th century said: "I have this student who practices in the mountain to get rid of thoughts. If he stopped trying to have no thoughts, he would have been enlightened years ago".

      Thoughts are to the mind what sweat is to the body. We have thoughts, they go hand in hand with having a mind and thoughts are not really a problem, thinking is, which is clinging or chasing those thoughts. Tilopa, the great Indian master author of the Mahamudra, a set of spiritual practices that greatly accelerates the process of attaining enlightenment, said to his main disciple Naropa:
      "You are not bound by thoughts, but by clinging. So cut your clinging, Naropa! "

      Thoughts are a natural expression of the mind, like leaves on a tree. Chasing the leaves is thinking and there is a way to experience the world without thinking. Not getting rid of thoughts but just without thinking. And so we come to one of the practices used called mindfulness. The word mindfulness originates from the Pali term sati 'to remember,' and from the Sanskrit counterpart sm?ti which has been translated as “to not let what one knows slip away from one's mind”.

      The function of mindfulness in spiritual practices is not to be distracted. Not to be distracted by what? Not by the thoughts but by thinking by the clinging to them. Up to this point is all wonderful but the problem start when this quality is misinterpreted and used by the sense of self to try to guide and control the experience. What I mean by that is that most people, when they sit and meditate, try to “do” something, try to be mindful have fewer thoughts, achieve more peace and even try to get enlightened.

      When meditation becomes a “means to an end,” we get stuck. In its struggle to remain in control, the sense of self, the mind, will learn the various techniques to quiet itself, to become more mindful, to achieve stillness, insight, peace but these states are just mental states and have nothing to do with the true, un-fabricated peace and stillness of your true nature, which cannot be achieved but only revealed.

      If you teach the mind how to stay quiet, after some effort it will do so and may even get so good at it that you will think you have reached the ultimate, effortless state. But if your practice fabricates a state even an enlightened state in which everything is peaceful and clear because there are no thoughts, that state is the result of mental effort. The attention has been trained to not follow the movement of thought, to abide in itself without really knowing itself. And because this state is the product of the mind, it will eventually wear off. It may take years, but the minute you stop the practice, it will start to fade away.

      When we employ our sense of self to act like a policeman to make sure we don’t forget to be mindful, to block anything, the sense of self will remain in charge and the sense of self like a cloud in the sky seemingly hides the sun.

      The sense of self thrives on goal and accomplishment and it is always picking and choosing trying to control what is. But the sense of self is just a thought believed in and no thought can control reality. The sense of self being a temporal thing cannot be mindful on a continuous basis.

      When this is realized we stop trying to be mindful and relax into the awareness that existed before thought instead of holding to the mindfulness driven by thought. One is eternal the other temporal. We give up he “doing” of mindfulness to fully participate in what mindfulness is attempting to do, that is to allow a full abiding presence. Instead of being consumed by the goal we open and allow all life in. We don’t block anything. Only awareness our true state can do that. The sense of self now becomes secondary to the lived experience of awareness.