#5019 - Monday, September 9, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2013

      #5019 - Monday, September 9, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "I have been up all night monitoring credible reports from around the world
      indicating that nothing is certain. Given the fluidity of the situation, it is highly
      advised to postpone your hostilities. And if you must act now, please, do
      something kind, or at least something that doesn't kill anybody. I will give you
      an update if I learn something new, which is highly unlikely."

      ~ Fred LaMotte

      Mindful

      Every day
      I see or hear
      something
      that more or less

      kills me
      with delight,
      that leaves me
      like a needle

      in the haystack
      of light.
      It was what I was born for -
      to look, to listen,

      to lose myself
      inside this soft world -
      to instruct myself
      over and over

      in joy,
      and acclamation.
      Nor am I talking
      about the exceptional,

      the fearful, the dreadful,
      the very extravagant -
      but of the ordinary,
      the common, the very drab,

      the daily presentations.
      Oh, good scholar,
      I say to myself,
      how can you help

      but grow wise
      with such teachings
      as these -
      the untrimmable light

      of the world,
      the ocean’s shine,
      the prayers that are made
      out of grass?

      ~Mary Oliver

      What I Have Learned So Far

      Meditation is old and honorable, so why should I
      not sit, every morning of my life, on the hillside,
      looking into the shining world? Because, properly
      attended to, delight, as well as havoc, is suggestion.
      Can one be passionate about the just, the
      ideal, the sublime, and the holy, and yet commit
      to no labor in its cause? I don't think so.

      All summations have a beginning, all effect has a
      story, all kindness begins with the sown seed.
      Thought buds toward radiance. The gospel of
      light is the crossroads of -- indolence, or action.

      Be ignited, or be gone.

      ~ Mary Oliver

      MIRACLE FAIR

      The commonplace miracle:
      that so many common miracles take place.

      The usual miracles:
      invisible dogs barking
      in the dead of night.

      One of many miracles:
      a small and airy cloud
      is able to upstage the massive moon.

      Several miracles in one:
      an alder is reflected in the water
      and is reversed from left to right
      and grows from crown to root
      and never hits bottom
      though the water isn't deep.

      A run-of-the-mill miracle:
      winds mild to moderate
      turning gusty in storms.

      A miracle in the first place:
      cows will be cows.

      Next but not least:
      just this cherry orchard
      from just this cherry pit.

      A miracle minus top hat and tails:
      fluttering white doves.

      A miracle (what else can you call it):
      the sun rose today at three fourteen a.m.
      and will set tonight at one past eight.

      A miracle that's lost on us:
      the hand actually has fewer than six fingers
      but still it's got more than four.

      A miracle, just take a look around:
      the inescapable earth.

      An extra miracle, extra and ordinary:
      the unthinkable
      can be thought.

      ~ Wislawa Szymborska

      (View With a Grain of Sand, translated by Stanislaw Baranczak and Clare Cavanagh)