#5015 - Wednesday, September 4, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2013
      #5015 - Wednesday, September 4, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The most recent Nonduality Network Talk Radio show is here:

      Highlights editor Dustin was a great guest talking about parenting, as was James Traverse who talked about how he was raised. Mandee was a brilliant interviewer.

      Stay in touch with Francis Lucille through his facebook site:

      Inline image 1

      Beyond the Yoga of Getting High

      by Michael Damian

      I recently watched a short video clip about a big festival for kundalini yoga and music. It was a series of on-site, rather ecstatic testimonials from participants and perhaps organizers. A young woman raved that “The mantra, the yoga, the vibe are going up, up, up!!” and talked about all the happy, beautiful people there. That sounds nice, doesn’t it?

      Everyone in the video had those dreamy looking eyes. A big smile plastered on the face. Another attendee testified with some seriousness, “The mantra works!” Then a middle-aged man, accompanied by his partner, said matter-of-factly: “I come here to get high” — meaning an energetic, spiritual high.

      And there you have it. This reminds me of a documentary about Ram Dass when he came back from India in the ’60s. The new yoga and meditation enthusiasts were spreading the message to their desperate young peers that you don’t have to rely on drugs to get high. You could do it with meditation, with kundalini breathing and so forth.

      There is nothing wrong with getting an energy high. I certainly recommend a sattvic, harmonious lifestyle that ensures a higher, smooth energy state rather than the energetic lows of intense agitation (Sanskrit: rajas) and dullness (tamas) of mind and body. These cyclical lows are caused by desire and fear operating in the unawakened mind, which Self-realization neutralizes.

      This does not mean that the Self-realized mind has no desires, inspirations, or enjoyments. However, in the absence of Self-realization, desire is bound by attachment and acts as a restless sense of lack. This makes us chase objects and experiences for the excitement they bring, and then we fall down again. The trouble is that an energy high is not freedom.

      Freedom is what we are seeking. Freedom is already the nature of Self, but it can only be known consciously via the realization of nonduality (so don’t say “It’s all Good” unless you really know that it is). By definition, freedom is not dependent on any particular state.

      ~ ~ ~