#5002 - Monday, August 19, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2013

      #5002 - Monday, August 19, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      As a solid rock cannot be moved by the wind,
      the wise are not shaken by praise or blame.
      When they listen to the words of the dharma,
      their mind becomes calm and clear like the waters of a still lake.
      From the book: "The Dhammapada"
      via Daily Dharma by Dainen Kelley

      Yaşar KoƧ Photography (from Turkey)

      "It seems to me that almost all our sadnesses are moments of tension, which we
      feel as paralysis because we no longer hear our astonished emotions living.
      Because we are alone with the unfamiliar presence that has entered us; because
      everything we trust and are used to is for a moment taken away from us;
      because we stand in the midst of a transition where we cannot remain standing.
      That is why the sadness passes: the new presence inside us, the presence that
      has been added, has entered our heart, has gone into its innermost chamber and
      is no longer even there, - is already in our bloodstream.
      And we don't know what it was. We could easily be made to believe that
      nothing happened, and yet we have changed, as a house that a guest has entered
      changes. We can't say who has come, perhaps we will never know, but many
      signs indicate that the future enters us in this way in order to be transformed
      in us, long before it happens.
      And that is why it is so important to be solitary and attentive when one is sad:
      because the seemingly uneventful and motionless moment when our future steps
      into us is so much closer to life than that other loud and accidental point of
      time when it happens to us as if from outside.
      The quieter we are, the more patient and open we are in our sadnesses, the more
      deeply and serenely the new presence can enter us, and the more we can make it
      our own, the more it becomes our fate."
      ~ Rainer Maria Rilke via Aile Shebar on Facebook

      "Make peace with the universe. Take joy in it.
      It will turn to gold. Resurrection will be now.
      Every moment, a new beauty."

      The Peace of Wild Things
      When despair grows in me
      and I wake in the middle of the night at the least sound
      in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
      I go and lie down where the wood drake
      rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
      I come into the peace of wild things
      who do not tax their lives with forethought
      of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
      And I feel above me the day-blind stars
      waiting for their light. For a time
      I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
      ~ Wendell Berry
      (The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry)
      via Panhala by Joe Riley