#4980 - Wednesday, July 2, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2013
      #4980 - Wednesday, July 2, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Mandee and Jerry appeared on the radio today. You may listen to the show here. The link will be active for only a week.

      http://ckdu.dal.ca/logger/audio_logs/temp/CKDU_Jul2417303-23-0.mp3

      We'll be publicizing our show in advance for next week. We hope a few of you will call.

      Amrita Nadi

      WHAT IS LOVE?

      "Love is not a act!
      It is not something that you "do."
      If you do it,
      It is not love."

      ~Osho

      ~So, if we are doing love, just like any act, we get tired and bored, and someday, oops! we fall into its opposite: hate. So on we go, mixing our love with hate - one minute we hate him, the next minute we love him.. . all 'cause we are "doing" love.

      But what if we stop seeing love as having an object? Stop the duality connected with loving an object and just love. Be love. Immerse into love.

      Osho says don't focus our love on one person, one thing - unfocus our love "on the Whole. When it is focused on one person, it is known as love - when it is unfocused, it becomes Prayer. "

      When Love is unfocused, it is Ultimate Compassion - no object, all objects, no particular being, all beings. It is an ineffable, unbelievable, ecstatic hoot! And it's contagious too. . .

      ~dharma grandmother

      Scott Kiloby events:

      http://www.kiloby.com/meetings.ph

      "Living the Inquiries"

      September 13 - 15
      New York, NY

      October 11-13
      Chicago, IL

      October 18-20
      Nova Scotia, Canada

      Nov. 1-3
      Victoria, BC, Canada

      "Freedom from Compulsion" Intensives

      August 30- September 1
      Chicago, IL

      "Living Inquiries" Intensives

      September 20-22, 2013
      Providence, RI

      http://www.kiloby.com/meetings.ph

      Galen Sharp

      The reason for "Awakening" is not to become a guru or a teacher, but simply to live normally. "Unawakened" a sentient being's worldview is warped by the self concept.

      Markandeya Gita

      102. What is the difference between concentration, attention, contemplation, and Awareness?

      The most gross of these three is concentration. Concentration is mental; it is active. When we are working on a math problem, for instance, we are concentrating. We may be working the problem with pen and paper or perhaps only mentally, but concentration is the same. When we are actively thinking through the words of our Master, that too is concentration. For, concentration is linear; it is a process wherein we have a starting point and an end point. The end point may turn out to be a solution, or it may lead us to yet another problem that we are compelled to work through. Therein is the reason that concentration has its predominance in manas.

      Whereas concentration is an active process, attention is the passive side of the coin. When we listen to someone speak we are full of attention as to what that person is saying. When we watch a movie, too, we are providing our undivided attention to the show, and so on.

      Where there is concentration there is always attention. To concentrate on anything is to first have that thing as our object of attention. Once the thing in question has our attention, we then concentrate on it.

      Attention, on the other hand, can exist without concentration. One can watch a movie or listen to a speaker without ever concentrating in an active way on what is being seen or heard. Gazing at clouds on a breezy, sunny day is a fine example of attention without concentration. However, if we begin to studiously look for familiar shapes in those same clouds, we have just moved from merely being attentive to them to actively concentrating on them.

      Then there is contemplation. Whereas concentration is predominantly the action of manas, contemplation is predominantly the action of buddhi. A fine example of the distiction between concentration and contemplation is when we are focused on the murti of Bhagavan Ganesha: If we are thinking, for instance, about the meaning of the goad, the noose, or the large ears of Ganapati then we are concentrating on the meaning of the individual gestures and features contained within the murti.

      However, if we stop concentrating on the individual meanings of the gestures and features of the murti and settle into a deep, unblinking, focused state of undivided attention we can experience the darshan of Bhagavan Ganesha in a much more real and permanent way; all of the individual gestures and features of the murti come together and are fully present within us in a way that is wholly present. This is contemplation.

      Contemplation is grasping and holding onto the whole picture. It is much subtler than active thinking, being non-linear, and thusly resides predominantly in the intuitive faculty of buddhi.

      Attention is the bandha, the madhya, the knot that is at the center of, and the tying together of, subtle contemplation and gross concentration.

      Awareness is the Mother of all of these, and all else as well. In Her downward path called prana kundalini She "forgets" and "looks out" through the eyes of jiva, the result of which is the above named mental processes; in Her upward path called para kundalini She is dynamiic Reality Itself.

      Shri Ramana Maharishi once said this elequently during a question and answer session:

      Q: Does the Absolute know itself?

      M: The ever-conscious is beyond both knowledge and ignorance; your question presupposes subject and object, but the Absolute is beyond both. It is knowledge itself.