#4961 - Monday, July 1, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2013

      #4961 - Monday, July 1, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Why Enlightenment Might Be Bad For You

      ~ G. S. Bobroff
      Via elephant journal on May 23, 2013

      "His wheel was stuck in a ditch of light, so to speak, and he felt an
      overpowering urge to steer in the direction of darkness. If the earth
      needs night as well as day, wouldn’t it follow that the soul requires
      endarkenment to balance enlightenment?"

      ~ Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

      The most recent chapter in the history of human evolution can be seen as a bursting
      forth of the ‘lightward’ movement of consciousness out of the body and into the
      mind.

      Our ancestors led us up into the light of greater moral clarity by overcoming
      superstitious thinking and the body’s dark instinctual forces. Moral action required
      the repression of instinct and we accomplished becoming the most rational,
      goal-oriented and productive human society that there ever has been. But, having
      tilted ourselves toward the light, toward the upward, spirit-focused part of
      ourselves, have we come to neglect another part of who we are?

      In turning toward spirit, we rejected the material world in all its aspects including
      the embodied human one. When our Creation stories painted the body, matter and
      sexuality as sinful, a part of our nature was placed into the shadow. Today we
      continue to carry forward this split only we don’t know it—and doing so has made
      us dangerous.

      Along the way on this trip, we have come to see ourselves as the light-bringers.
      Certain that our particular brand of philosophy will save the dirty Philistines from
      wallowing in their dark unknowing, we funded projects like the Crusades, the
      Inquisition and Residential Schools in all their various enlightening forms.

      We still have cultures functioning today that produce people who fly planes into
      buildings because they know that ‘up there’ they will receive a hero’s welcome.

      Modern light-bringing has so many forms: our political enlightenment will keep
      tyranny from bothering you again (“sorry ‘bout your house”); our economic
      enlightenment will save those lazy people over there; our scientific enlightenment
      can prove conclusively that all that spiritual hub-jub is pure gobbledygook (see the
      recent TED controversy); our religious enlightenment will lead you up to heaven
      (Bodhisattva won’t you take me by the hand!)—and in its latest form if you just do
      the magically right combo of mantras, sutras and asanas (and send Swami Googoo Gi
      $19.55) up, up, up you will going into the ultimate backstage party—Ascendance!

      And when that day comes it will, of course, only be the ones on the unsinful diet of
      organic sunshine that get to go in. The So Cal yoga scene does a particularly
      attractive job of trotting this out. Pretty-focused, these spiritual fashionistas sell
      you the practice/diet/jewelry that ensures that you can feel superior to other
      people; here light and positive talk abound, so be sure to avoid becoming a social
      outcast in this culture by never saying anything negative. These folks might be
      shooting up light, but they are at least talking about trying to grow in
      consciousness!

      What we don’t get in all this stuff is that it’s possible to embody our
      dark side in a guise of light; we don’t understand that reason has a
      shadow.

      Today we act out the darkness of human evil in forms of rational action: where
      there’s a will there’s a way has us overcoming all the obstacles between us and
      destroying the world we live in; we skate on razor-sharp rational blades
      efficiently toward self-inflicted apocalypse with words like ‘economic necessity;’
      we act out our hate for those happily embodied others that dare to own their
      sexuality in our world, and we do so certain and safe under the protection of our
      own higher righteousness.

      "The governing dream of the twentieth century appears as a kind of
      ultimate manifestation of a deep inner rage of Western society
      against its earthly condition."
      ~ Thomas Berry

      Righteousness has so many rational forms in our world, but how many of those
      forms are shadow cloaks in which we act out an unconscious psychological split
      between spirit and matter—ways in which we express our deep resentment of
      having to actually participate in an imperfect, disappointing, potentially dying
      world and exist in an aging, flawed and occasionally heart-wrenched physical body?

      We identify all goodness with spirit, light and up and all evil with darkness, body
      and the down of the world’s reality. Living too much in up, too much in our heads, in
      spirit and in reason and not in our bodies, we resent those who do.

      Holding the tension of this split makes us tend to see those around us who have
      worked though it as bad and maybe even dangerous—that’s why we hang the mystic
      lovers on crosses and burn them on pyres. “Knowing not what we do,” we think that
      Spirit’s splendorous light is up there and sexuality is down here, instead of
      listening to those wondrous teachers that give voice to a love that is firmly planted
      in the world.

      We particularly dislike it when those teachers are our neighbors: the person right
      beside us who’s managed to learn to live in their heart just a little bit more than we
      have; those who have come to embody their sexuality with less shame than we carry;
      those who place the planet’s needs above their own; those we encounter with the
      moral courage to live fiercely in the world with their hearts open and present.

      Jung said that if we worked at becoming conscious we might barely
      make it through the disasters ahead of us.

      When we identify goodness with light, right and upward, we fail in that task.

      What’s required of us is a willingness to drop our inner identification with light
      and get down close to the dark—our own and that around us. And then we must feel
      what comes of that (horror, rage, wonder, passion?), because there simply is no
      change without emotion—if you do not feel through to the healing then it’s all just
      an idea in your head.

      The split between spirit and matter inside of us is only resolved in one place
      folks—in our hearts—in the discomfort and suffering of real pain and the ecstatic
      joy of real love.

      "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the
      barriers within yourself that you have built against it."
      ~ Rumi

      G. S. Bobroff, M.A. has a Master’s degree in in Jungian-oriented
      Psychology from Pacifica Graduate Institute of Santa Barbara, CA
      and is the author of Crop Circles, Jung & the Re-Emergence of the
      Archetypal Feminine (available on North Atlantic Books in August
      2014). His other articles on elephant journal include: “On
      Synchronicity & Romantic Fate” click here.. His website is
       GSBobroff.com.