#4957 - Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2013
      #4957 - Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      _______________________________________

      The new issue of One The Magazine is available:

      http://www.onethemagazine.com/

      Adyashanti, Fred Davis, Unmani, Amoda Maa Jeevan, Zubin R. Mathai, Christine Horner, Elizabeth Schmidt-Pabst, Rick Hanson, book, music, movie reviews, news stories in the nondual spirit, science, poetry and art.

      One The Magazine continues to develop as an stunning vehicle celebrating the many ways the spirit and expression of nonduality show up.

      _______________________________________

      Anyone remember the book popular in the 70s, "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot"? by John Muir, Tosh Gregg and Peter Aschwanden (Aug 29, 2001)

      Here's a review that places the book in the category of "Nonduality and Auto Mechanics." It is nonduality from the trenches.

      http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step---Step/dp/1566913101/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372157991&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+keep+your+volkswagen+alive

      57 of 58 people found the following review helpful

      4.0 out of 5 stars Forty years later, and the "Idiot Book" is still unmatched June 16, 2008

      By J. LaTorre

      First, my credentials for this review. From 1971 to 1994 (with insignificant gaps), I've owned and driven three Vokswagen buses (not including a parts bus)and used this manual to keep all of them on the road. As of this writing, I'm driving my fourth bus. I've gone through four copies of the Idiot Book, using each one until it either fell to pieces, became illegible from grease and oil stains, or needed to be updated as I bought a later-model bus. It has guided me through six or seven engine rebuilds (I used my engines very, very hard) and God knows how many other procedures ... I think that I've done every single procedure in the book that applied to my particular makes and models. And using this book, I've done work on various WV bugs, buses, and squarebacks that belonged to friends of mine.

      I agree with everybody who calls this the indispensable reference for VW owners. I also agree with those who point out its shortcomings. Muir quotes a friend of his, on a review of another VW book. as saying "I agree one hundred percent with ninety percent of what he says." That could also apply to my own feelings about this book.

      As a technical manual, it mostly consists of solid information -- solid enough, anyway, to get you back on the road so you can find somebody to show you how to do it the right way. I've always advised a prospective repairer to own both this book and another manual (my favorite was the green Volkswagen Official Service Manual, also called the "Bentley"), read the Muir write-up first to get a general idea of what to do, and then compare it to the other manual, note the differences, and ask somebody why the differences are there. Usually it's because Muir assumes you're making do with a minimum of tools, or are too cash-strapped to make a proper fix. Occasionally, you'll find that John was flat wrong about something (such as how to warm it up in the morning, or why chokes should be disabled, or why the 009 distributor was perfect in every way), or that your particular model had a different set-up than the ones he was familiar with.

      But to simply compare this book with other technical manuals would be to ignore the most important feature of this book, which is its ability to empower you. It presumes that the reader has no technical aptitude and starts you gently down the road to proficiency and self-confidence. I'll bet that more mechanics have been inspired by this book than any other technical manual ever written. Not only that, but once you have discovered that you can indeed perform a repair competently, you get a sneaking suspicion that there are other things you can do if you apply the same confidence, common sense, and ingenuity that John taught you about. I doubt if I would have had the courage to time a sewing machine, install a hard drive, build a mandolin, or re-assemble a hang glider if John hadn't shown me that I had the potential to do these things.

      This book has survived because of its idiosyncrasies, not in spite of them. John writes that "You must do this work with love or you will fail. You don't have to think, but you must love." He's telling you something important about Life here, and about the relationship we have to our possessions and to our work. Forty years later, these are still wise words, and to find them in an automotive manual is astonishing. Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" tried to apply philosophical principles to machine repair, but it failed because he was no mechanic and tried to gauge his mechanic's skill according to his own expectations of what a mechanic's mind-set should be. John knew better. He knew, and taught, that you achieve oneness with the machine by applying mind, heart, and hands together, and by listening to the machine as it tries to tell you what needs to be done. If there's ever been another book like that, I haven't heard of it. And if there is, I'll wager that the author has read the "Idiot Book."

      ~ ~ ~

      There's a generous and revealing look inside the book here:
      http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step---Step/dp/1566913101/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372157991&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+keep+your+volkswagen+alive

      Scott Kiloby has all kinds of meetings coming up around the U.S. and Canada in coming weeks. Info here: http://www.kiloby.com/meetings.php

      Live Fearlessly

      by Scott Kiloby

      To live fearlessly is not to live without fear. It is to let fear arise freely and see that a threat cannot be found no matter where you look. Most fears are psychological in nature. They have to do with a threat that is merely psychological, not physical. These kinds of fears are different than the instinctual fear that arises when you are being chased by a bear or about to be hit by an oncoming car.

      Human lives are run by this psychological fear, a threat that is not real, that is only perceived. And it is perceived entirely through words, pictures, feelings, and sensations. When we look at each word, each picture, each feeling and each sensation, we see that each thing, by itself, is not the actual threat. The actual threat cannot be found. This allows the energy of fear to be as it is and then dissolve naturally.

      As fear is allowed to arise freely, with no threat being found anywhere, in any situation, it loses its grip on the mind. In losing its grip, it cannot arise as easily the next time. There is no story to which fear can attach itself. It begins to arise less and less, and then it is virtually, if not completely, absent from our experience.

      To live fearlessly is not to avoid fear or to act like we are fearless, for that would only be a mask of pretense. It would not end fear at all. To live fearlessly is to face every fear as it arises seeing no inherent threat anywhere. I find this to be the most direct path to freedom, for everything else is avoidance or escape or pretense. Live fearlessly with me. Let love replace fear naturally.

      The Anxiety Inquiry: http://livingrelationship.org/the-anxiety-inquiry/