#4951 - Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

  • Jerry K
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2013
      #4951 - Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      If your computer isn't set to display the images from issue #4950 posted by Gloria, you may see them here:

      This issue continues the nature theme.

      Pete Sierra posted this in AdvaitaToZen@yahoogroups.com

      Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee sends the following:

      June 2013

      Dear Friends,

      Warm greetings. We have just released a new book, Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth.This compilation of essays brings a vitally needed spiritual voice into our present ecological crisis. We are grateful both to the contributors and to the wonderful group of individuals who have endorsed this book, also bringing their voice in response to the Earth's call.

      Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth is edited by Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee, with contributions from Chief Oren Lyons, Thomas Berry, Thich Nhat Hanh, Chief Tamale Bwoya, John Stanley, David R. Loy, Mary Evelyn Tucker, Brian Swimme, Sister Miriam MacGillis, Wendell Berry, Winona LaDuke, Vandana Shiva, Dr. Susan Murphy Roshi, Satish Kumar, Joanna Macy, Geneen Marie Haugen, Jules Cashford, Bill Plotkin, Sandra Ingerman, Pir Zia Inayat-Khan, Fr. Richard Rohr, and Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee.

      Pete Sierra wrote in AdvaitaToZen@yahoogroups.com
      The naturalist Loren Eiseley wrote many interesting essays
      on form shifting. In one of them, he relates a personal
      experience he had while studying the habits of frogs.
      On this particular night he was headed toward a deep sink
      hole in the middle of a large grove. The sink hole was
      particularly dangerous because it had not rained for months,
      and the water had receded several feet from the steep rim.
      Any careless human who plunged in would have no way to
      climb out.
      As he walked along a narrow trail, he was overtaken by a
      a large number of frogs heading toward the sink hole.
      He was enchanted to be part of this march, and tried
      to keep pace with the frogs. After a few minutes of
      feeling himself part of this amphian army, he
      sensed a strange feeling of kinship with the
      group. As they got nearer the water the frogs started
      singing. Loren tells that at one point, to his surprise, he
      noticed that he was no longer walking, but jumping along
      and croaking with the frogs. He felt a great urgency,
      a deep longing for those deep black waters. He wanted
      it with a force he had never experienced before. This
      yearning filled him with great exhilaration. He began
      shaking with excitement and then the excitement
      turned to terror as he realized that if he didn't break
      this spell we would surely perish at the sink hole.
      The terror did the trick, and he snapped out of his frog
      To completely understand something is, in a way, to
      become it. After total understanding, we can no
      longer exactly regain our former shape. That is why
      there is an instinctual reluctance to understand too
      deeply who we are. We can't understand, and retain
      our former self.

      ~ ~ ~

      My interview with Pete Sierra is at