#4944 - Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

  • Jerry K
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2013

      #4944 - Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nonduality Highlights

      _______________________________________

      The Lookout

      by Ken Sanes

      I am standing at the edge of the lookout,
      gazing at the water in the last light
      and observing the arrival of another fall night.
      From this location I can hear behind me
      the scraping sound of the crisp dead leaves,
      being carried by the wind along the street,
      as it scatters, combines and interweaves.
      I can also see almost all of the lake
      with its indented coast and still dark surface
      that is smooth, reflective, and deeply opaque.
      But as I stand here in the cool night air,
      there's an unexpected change in the way I see
      as nature's loss gives birth to a moment
      when I can look and listen and simply be.
      In this altered state, I am contained and still,
      in awe of life's perfection, with a receptive will.
      Except, there is also something else
      because I sense that I am inside this moment.
      No, what I want to say is that I am this moment:
      I'm this ghostly moon obscured by passing clouds;
      the craggy coast of the lake; the rich brown earth;
      and the dark reflection of half-empty trees
      in a living world imbued with ultimate worth.
      But only for a moment. Then I take another look
      at the barren trees shrouded by the night
      and I decide it's time to scan for dangers
      that are folded inside the missing light,
      as a familiar monologue starts up in my mind,
      and I observe each thing from an inner lookout
      that is well defended, insubstantial, and confined.
      With the moment now over, I turn to walk away
      from the fall of summer and the end of day.
      And I think to myself that all of our experience,
      along with all of our memories and words,
      are the scattered pieces of our lost perfection,
      made of fragments from the unrecovered soul,
      with each piece yearning and taking position
      in a continuous effort to rejoin the whole.
      And poetry is part of this same divided order.
      But poetry can form vital connections
      through the draw of the story, symbol and rhyme
      as it seeks a way to bind our broken selves
      and change our experience of life, space and time.
      Of course, poetry is also a set of fabrications
      with a way of speaking that is finally true,
      which is why I remembered this perfect moment
      and built a lookout with these words for you.

      Poems About Life: Homepage
      Nature Poetry and the Human World

      You are welcome to send me an email at
      letters at http://kensanes.com
      Copyright © 2010-2013 Ken Sanes

      reprinted with permission

      _______________________________________

      NGWS Journal is beautifully put together and has a nondual flavor. http://www.ngws.org/

      The following poem from ngws was written by Anamika, who we've published often in the Highlights:

      How on earth...?

      How on earth do we figure out our existence?
      What is Life?

      If we are lucky enough this question will take hold of us
      and break through the comfort zone
      of an ordered and predictable existence.

      Crush the imaginary boundaries which have
      hypnotised us to believe that there is a separation between
      the perceiver and the perceived.

      If we are lucky enough the question
      will break us open and leave us bare, empty.

      Remove identifications
      until Reality is seen and
      all questions have left us.

      There are no answers.

      You are
      Life is
      the answer.

      Form is Emptiness
      Emptiness is Form

      Anamika--Potshots blog  http://noname-allthereis.blogspot.ca/

      Here are two views on the influence of science upon perception of self:

       "ac" <adithya_comming@...> wrote:

       We watch the sun going around earth every day in front of our eyes...

       ...yet, we firmly discard it as illusion...

       ...and, we believe, know, remember what science has told us...

       the earth spins on its axis and that creates this illusion of sun orbiting
      earth...

       Most of us have never really seen earth rotating on its axis...

       ...yet, we discrad what we see everyday, day after day in the favor of
      something that we have never really seen...

       just because... science has told us so...

       I think...

       One day...

       ...not so far away...

       Science will convincingly prove that...

       ...the self,
       ...the selfhood,
       ...the person...

       ...the mind created I
       ...the mind created me...

       ...is just an illusion...

       ...no matter... how powerful this illusion is...

       no matter... how "real" this illusion seems...

       no matter... how frequently... almost constantly... this illusion takes
      place...

       ...and, that day... many of us will really "know" and "learn"... that yes,
      yes, the personhood is really just a mind created momentary illusion... even
      though, it appears to occur... almost all the time...

       ...and, once that is really to known to us...

       ...I think... how we look at the world, ourselves, our neighbors will start
      changing on its own...

       ...so will our views on...

       ...reincarnation...

       ...soul...

       ...heaven...

       ...hell...

       ...death...

       ...birth...

       ...free will...

       ...choice...

       I think it will dramatically transform our views on religions as well as on
      spirituality...

      Tboni: Au contraire.

      Not at all.

      Science tells us nothing at all whatsoever.

      Science can neither listen nor can it speak for it has no larynx no voice no
      body and no brain.

      It is scientists that write and speak, homo-sapiens sapiens with a brain, like
      everyone brought up in families like yours or mine each one ego conditioned like
      everyone else with a brain in a body with mothers and fathers brought up in the
      very same culture as you and me with aspirations of greatness, attaining Nobels
      getting tenure having children.

      If and when, as you say they will convincingly prove that their selves, their
      minds their selfhood their ego and personhood is an illusion:-

      They will relegate their own voice, dismiss their own speaking as from an
      illusion illusory, and with a single stroke cancel their own vote about saying
      anything of any relevance to anyone at all.

      Don't talk to me about "Science" to bolster any argument or speculation of your
      own.

      Talk to me of scientists and about scientists.

      And what they say they think what they speculate about.

      Think for yourself!!!!

      Some thoughts

      Tboni
    • Jerry K
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2013
        #4944 - Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

        ____________________________

        Practical nonduality and truth-realization itself are considered in these two articles. Anyone pursuing nondual understanding will eventually come to discern between the two, without being for or against any particular view, while expressing their understanding in whatever way they must.

        ____________________________

        Practical Non-duality Pure and Simple.

        by pie'n'eal

        Being...is non-duality.
        Being...distracted...is duality

        ~~~~~~~~~~

        Losing oneself in thoughts
        is duality.

        Being aware of thoughts
        is duality.

        Purely being aware
        is non-duality.

        Resting in pure awareness,
        thoughts can arise,
        but now they are not in control.
        They are merely an expression of pure awareness.

        ~~~~~~~~~

        When Essence (pure awareness) is caught up in thoughts, it is distracted, misdirected and can be manipulated.
        It has learnt to believe in what it sees as real, when it is merely a distraction from the only reality
        - our pure awareness. Of course, we oscillate between these two states - duality and non duality –
        but what is most important is to be able to recognise these different states. This is why we practise.

        ~~~~~~~~~

        Why is this so important?

        In non-duality we are free. In duality we are a prisoner - we are caught and held. That is what letting go is all about.
        We are either caught up or free: at every moment we have that same choice.

        There are things going on in the world.
        There will always be things going on in the world.
        When we die, these things will still be going on.
        They will never stop until everyone recognises
        that this world was created by our collective confusion.

        We are not here to distract ourselves! We are here to realise our true nature – constant, pure awareness.
        What we do with that pure awareness is up to us, either to rest in pure awareness, radiating love,
        or express love for the benefit of others.

        ~ ~ ~

        more writings by pie'n'eal here: http://jandeane81.com/search.php?searchid=37522

        ____________________________

        Whatever is seen, whether external or internal, whether by the ordinary persons or yogis, is unreal.

        By: Santthoshkumaar Kumaar on Jun 12, 2013

        People who claim seeing god in their in meditation are  truthful! they  may tell others a lie or they may be hallucinated with their idea of their individualized God.   man and his experience of the world are within the dualistic illusion. whatever  is part of the dualistic illusion is not reality.  We are discussion about the god within the dualistic illusion.  Thus whatever we have seen,known,believed and experienced is bound to be falsehood.   Supposing a person  has a vision, which experience is true, but  on nondulistic perspective the duality is mere an illusion.

        Without knowing what is ultimate truth, one   can only guess, imagine, hence doubts and questions and discussions arise.

        If one says God is in heaven, others say he is within. Again the God may take different form and name. Then which form and name of god is correct? Some contend that God is sound and say one hears the divine sound inside in meditation, still others say God is divine light appears in-between the eyebrows in meditation as the presence of God. All these differences of opinion, they can be endless, show mutual contradiction and general error, that is lack of certain truth. Moreover if one sees form one is seeing a second thing, a seen or an object.

        People who are conditioned by religion will not accept anything other than their accepted truth.   The scriptures are meant for those who are stuck the practical life within the practical world as reality.

        Dualist sages could not distinguish between `I' and `formless witness.' The 'I' was the witness. Their highest was the Jiva. One is so much attached to the 'I' that he do not want to think that 'I' does not exist. Again one is unable to detach the `I' from the Real witness.

        Kabir views humanity as being caught up in illusion, searching for Ultimate Reality in all the wrong places, always seeking It outside of ourselves in various rituals, temples, forests and mountaintops, not realizing That for which we seek is already hidden within us.

        Without the self-knowledge it is impossible to cross the illusory ocean of the pain and pleasure.  There no vessel to ferry man across the ocean of illusory form, time and space except Gnana.

        What is Gnana? Gnana means the full and firm realization of truth – a realization beyond all doubts, change and contradiction.

        Neither the control of breath, or regulating the breath, nor the performance of selfless service, nor by devotion to gods and gurus, not the performance of penance, nor pilgrimaging, nor by yoga nor by scriptural mastery, the ignorance will not vanish. But only   through non-dual wisdom the ignorance can be eradicated.  The three states are state of ignorance. All the three states are falsehood. The formless substance and witness of the three states is real and eternal.

        Sage Sri Sankara, in Bhaja Govindam says: - [Jnana Viheena Sarva Mathena Bajathi na Muktim janma Shatena] - one without knowledge does not obtain liberation even in a hundred births, no matter which religious faith he follows.

        Realize Brahman or ultimate truth here and now,  in this very life , not in next life and in ii next world by realizing the fact that this life itself is illusion.

        Even non-dualistic orthodoxy has to be considered as dualistic cult because  they are based on the  karma theory. Believing in karma theory means  believing in the experience of birth,life,death and world as reality whereas Sri, Sankara says the universe is myth. It means the the birth,life and death which takes place within the universe also in myth.

        Non duality is the state of oneness of existence and there is no scope in its philosophy for anything like non-existence.

        Gaudapada's rational exposition of Advaita: - that Whatever is seen, whether external or internal, whether by the ordinary persons or yogis, is unreal.

        The essence of Mandukya's is: Do not be satisfied with rituals, yoga etc. which are good in their own way, but inquire. Inquire in to the nature of the mind. ? Brahman and Atman are things one can never see. So seeker should not inquire into them.  He has to inquire into the world around him, which he can see. Analysis   tells him it is passing away every second. Everything is dying repeatedly. Where is it going? Thus he follows up his investigation into what he can lay hands on. How can he inquire into Atman which he cannot see? So first he must deal with the known and seen, this inquiry leads up to the unknown in the end.

        Mediocre minds waste their time on arguing about unimportant matters. Accumulation of scriptural knowledge is dangerous in pursuit of truth. Seeker has to establish in the truth of Non-duality by sheer reasoning alone. Seeker has to begin by defining "What is real?" "What is unreal?" etc, because that is the right way to discuss, understand and assimilate self-knowledge.Thus seeker has to remove all the hindrance in order to acquire Self-knowledge or Bramha Gnana or Atma Gnana.

        In dualistic philosophies the imaginary god is made as creator basing on cause and effect theory. Then the doubt natural arises, who is the cause of the creator. The creator is dependent on creation for his existence.  Without the creation the creator ceases to exist. Thus the dualistic theory holds no water, because it is based on mere imagination and speculation, which they try to prove it on citing the mythological stories and doctrine of code of conducts. When the self is not the body then all these dualistic ideologies hold no water.   Therefore the devotional paths, which are based on the human conducts, are not the means forTRUTH –REALIZATION.

        Even the religious based non-dualism is not the means for truth realization, because   their preaching is based on the non-duality but their practice is based on dualistic view point.  Therefore, it is difficult to get   TRUTH –REALIZATION from conduct based orthodox non-dualism. Thus it looks like the real essence of non-dualism is lost or destroyed in the past by the orthodox oriented priest craft and propagated and injected only priest-crafted non-dualism, to the mass, the reason best known to the masters of the past.  Therefore, it is impossible to come out of all these priest crafted confusions in one life time. Through orthodox non-dualism it is impossible to get truth realization.

        There is no need to collect all these baggage of confusions, if one is seeking truth, nothing but truth. The guru is necessary only in religious and yogic paths, but guru is not necessary in pursuit of truth.  Path of truth is a personal path and it is the path of verification. But in religion and yoga the verification is not allowed. Blind faith is main ingredient in belief system and yoga.   Gurudom is playing with words because maybe the meaning is floating somewhere in between the spaces of words...

        ~ ~ ~

        more writings by Santthoshkumaar Kumaar here: http://www.speakingtree.in/public/santthoshkumaar.kumaar/blog