#4942 - Sunday, June 9, 2013

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2013

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4942, Sunday, June 9, 2013

      Don't be so quick to believe in the mind's projections. You are not the mind. Don't come under its spell. The mind is a great magician. It has hypnotized 7 billion human beings. In the realm of personhood, it is full of tricks and has the power to make a lot of mischief, confusion, distortion and delusion. But yours is a greater power. It is the power of the pure Self. The power to observe with detachment, to recognize that all phenomena are transient appearances and that oneself is the formless witness, timeless and ever-perfect.

      - Mooji, posted to AlongTheWay

      The world is made of rings. The hooks are all yours. Make straight your hooks and nothing can hold you. Give up your addictions. There is nothing else to give up. Stop your routine of acquisitiveness, your habit of looking for results and the freedom of the universe is yours. Be effortless.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj from I Am That - Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to AlongTheWay

      To see everything as imagination born of desire is necessary for self-realization. We miss the real by lack of attention and create the unreal by excess of imagination.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj posted to ANetofJewels

      The mystery of "Poverty is my pride"* is sublime:
      it cautions you to take refuge from the covetous
      with the One who is Self-Sufficient.
      Treasures are buried in ruined, forgotten places,
      hidden from the greed of those who dwell in affluence.
      If you can't tear out your own beautiful feathers,
      go, adopt a life of solitude;
      don't let yourself be dissipated by others.
      For you are both the morsel of food and the eater of that morsel:
      you are the consumer and the consumed. Understand this, dear one!

      - Rumi Mathnawi V: 715-718, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski from Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance. posted to Sunlight

      The naturalist Loren Eiseley wrote many interesting essays on form shifting. In one of them, he relates a personal experience he had while studying the habits of frogs. On this particular night he was headed toward a deep sink hole in the middle of a large grove. The sink hole was particularly dangerous because it had not rained for months, and the water had receded several feet from the steep rim. Any careless human who plunged in would have no way to climb out.

      As he walked along a narrow trail, he was overtaken by a a large number of frogs heading toward the sink hole. He was enchanted to be part of this march, and tried to keep pace with the frogs. After a few minutes of feeling himself part of this amphian army, he sensed a strange feeling of kinship with the group. As they got nearer the water the frogs started singing. Loren tells that at one point, to his surprise, he noticed that he was no longer walking, but jumping along and croaking with the frogs. He felt a great urgency, a deep longing for those deep black waters. He wanted it with a force he had never experienced before. This yearning filled him with great exhilaration. He began shaking with excitement and then the excitement turned to terror as he realized that if he didn't break this spell we would surely perish at the sink hole. The terror did the trick, and he snapped out of his frog trance.

      To completely understand something is, in a way, to become it. After total understanding, we can't no longer exactly regain our former shape. That is why there is an instinctual reluctance to understand too deeply who we are. We can't understand, and retain our former self.

      Pete, posted to AdvaitaToZen

      The Rhythm of Our Hearts

      The Light of your Face
      illumines the universe;
      And from that Light, in all ages,
      you have taken form.

      You are the Saaqi
      and the wine of victory -
      That is what you will always be.
      Can blown glass return to the fire?
      Can aged wine turn back into grapes?

      You shape the destiny of every soul,
      renewing this weary world.
      Every night you bring another joy,
      every night a celebration.

      Love and ecstasy is our calling now -
      O Beloved, you will dance forever
      as the rhythm of our hearts.

      - Rumi Ghazal 2209 version by Jonathan Star from A Garden Beyond Paradise: The Mystical Poetry of Rumi, posted to Sunlight