#4940 - Friday, June 7, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

  • Jerry K
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2013
      #4940 - Friday, June 7, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nonduality Highlights

      Posted in Nonduality Salon:

      The Enlightenment Myth
      , Posted by Bill Rishel
      Patrick Kearney (Professor at Queensland U., Australia):

      "I have never been able to find any Pâli or Sanskrit word which corresponds
      to the English word "enlightenment
      ." This word was selected some time late
      last century by English translators as a label for the goal of Buddhist
      practice because of its resonance with the 18th century ideal of the
      Enlightenment. The European Enlightenment was a movement which idealised progress, science and reason -- the "light" in "Enlightenment
      " refers to the light of reason.

      In Victorian Britain, sympathetic English scholars wanted to present
      Buddhism in as favourable a light as possible, and they did so by
      portraying the Buddha as the perfect Victorian gentleman. He was presented as rejecting the priestly mumbo-jumbo of the brahmins (who for the Victorian English corresponded to the Roman Catholic clergy) in favour of a religion of reason and morality (Almond 70-74).

      The only thing that spoiled this picture was undeniable evidence in the Buddhist texts that the Buddha taught and practiced some kind of bizarre self-hypnosis or cultivation of trance states -- what we today call meditation. The word "enlightenment
      " referred to a state of enlightened reason attained by the Buddha which, however, existed only in the imagination of Victorian
      scholars. Unfortunately the word has stuck, and with it the confusion."

      http://www.khandro. net/bud_origins. htm

      Tboni: Here's another, simpler version, courtesy Manfred Man.

      "Blinded by the light,
      revved up like a deuce,
      another runner in the night".

      :)

      Bill: Just did a search and learned that song was actually
      written by Bruce Springstein. Manfred Man made
      it a hit. I remember that song well from back in the 70's.

      Any idea what is meant by the term "deuce"
      ?

      Tboni: Well I did reckon it may have come from some play in poker where
      someone owing on a deuce did a runner.

      (I'm making it up here fwiw)

      Dan:

      It can mean what you want it to mean: a car, like a deuce coupe, or a card, a low card that isn't much use and is cut loose ...

      cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night --

      someone who has been cut loose,

      in free fall,

      running on his own into the night ...

      nice lyric, Bruce!