#4936 - Sunday, June 2, 2013

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2013

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4936, Sunday, June 2, 2013

      If you come across a sage who has realized his true nature, you will not be required to do anything in the way of spiritual disciplines. This is because through his teachings, he will reveal your true nature, as by placing a mirror before you.

      For the egoic being the outer world is seen as the face of an enemy. The disruptive dualism from which all conflict arises is not in the outer world but with the false perception of the pseudo-entity who fails to see the world as his own reflection.

      Ed Note: Dustin's Saturday HL elicited the following response, which I decided to post...

      Hi Dustin,

      Thank you for your letter below on forgiveness and nonduality. The problem as I see it is that the radical nondual types are locked in a kind of "ivory tower" of transcendence - as if living in the void was the end of the journey home.

      Unless and until we learn to embody the awakening - i.e. how do we apply the transcendent awakening/knowledge in our every day lives - then our journey home is only half-way complete.

      Forgiveness (or acceptance as you said) begins with our own small self - just as it is. From that spaciousness of self-acceptance, we learn to accept others - just as they are. In this acceptance, we also learn that we are human, and that we continue to experience thoughts, feelings, and emotions. It's how we respond to them that really counts... i.e. what is our relationship to our thoughts, feelings, and emotions.

      Many years after his enlightenment, upon hearing the news of his mother's death, the Buddha openly wept with intense grief; when he was done, he simply let it go and moved on. In other words, he never denied his humanity, even though he was awakened to the nondual Reality.

      In regards to this, you may want to check out Richard Moss' work. He's an awake teacher who helps people to relax into Presence, and from that limitless spaciousness, work with whatever arises: thoughts, emotions, feelings.

      And I wouldn't be too concerned about the radical nondual types who spout phrases like: "who is there to forgive anyway?" They are merely revealing that their journey is not yet complete; they are still exclusive, rather than inclusive. The ultimate nondual reality is inclusive. Another way to say this is that from one perspective the manifestation is an illusion; and yet, from another perspective, it is also the Reality, appearing as you and me, and even the radical nondualers (hey, I think I made up a word!) ;-)

      Please 'forgive' me if I've crossed a line with this feedback...

      Cheers,

      Brian

      Above the entrance to the Oracle at Delphi were written the words, "Know Thyself." Jesus came along and added a sense of urgency and consequence to the ancient idea when he said, "If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

      What Jesus is saying is that spirituality is serious business, with serious consequences. Your life hangs precariously in the balance, teetering between a state of unconscious sleepwalking and eyes-wide-open spiritual enlightenment. The fact that most people do not see life this way testifies to how deeply asleep and in denial they truly are.

      Within each of our forms lies the existential mystery of being. Apart from one's physical appearance, personality, gender, history, occupation, hopes and dreams, comings and goings, there lies an eerie silence, an abyss of stillness charged with an etheric presence. For all of our anxious business and obsession with triviality, we cannot completely deny this phantasmal essence at our core. And yet we do everything we can to avoid its stillness, its silence, its utter emptiness and intimate embrace.

      To remain unconscious of being is to be trapped within an ego-driven wasteland of conflict, strife, and fear that only seems customary because we have been brainwashed into a state of suspended disbelief where a shocking amount of hate, dishonesty, ignorance, and greed are viewed as normal and sane. But it is not sane; not even close to being sane. Nor is it based in reality. In fact, nothing could be less real than what we human beings call reality.

      By clinging to the mind in the form of memory and thought, we are held captive by the movement of our conditioned thinking and imagination, all the while believing that we are perfectly rational and sane. We therefore continue to justify the reality of what causes us, as well as others, immeasurable amounts of pain and suffering.

      Deep down we all suspect that something is very wrong with the way we perceive life but we try very, very hard not to notice it. And the way we remain blind to our frightful condition is through an obsessive and pathological denial of being - as if some dreadful fate would overcome us if we were to face the pure light of truth and lay bare our fearful clinging to illusion.

      The question of being is everything. Nothing could be more important or consequential - nothing where the stakes run so high. To remain unconscious of being is to remain asleep to our own reality and therefore asleep to reality at large. The choice is simple: awaken to being or sleep an endless sleep.?

      - Adyashanti

      The Immensity of Solitude

      When the mind is free of all of its content, all of its conditioned thinking, it enters into the solitude of silence. That silence can only arise when one sees the limitations of one's thinking. When one sees that his or her thoughts will not bring truth, peace, or freedom, there arises a natural state of silence and inner clarity. And in that silence there is a profound solitude, because one is not seeking a more advantageous relationship with thought or with the accompanying emotions that are derived by thought.

      In that solitude all ideas and images are left behind, and we can intuitively orient ourselves toward the unborn and uncreated ground of being. In that ground we find our true being; and in the same manner in which our being is uncreated, it is also undying. Therefore, all that we will ever be or can be is found in our solitude (within ourselves) and is timelessly present in its fullness and completeness, now and eternally.

      It is within our deepest solitude, where we take leave of every image and idea of ourselves as well as of God, that we come upon the fullness of our being. And in that fullness of being we recognize the divinity of all things and all beings, no matter how great or small. For divinity is not something earned or given, but lavishly present within all. To have the eyes to see the divinity of all beings is to bring light into this world.

      So we are given this one small task: to cease being what we are not, and to be what we eternally are. Such a task would seem to be a gift of Love, but how often is it denied in favor of the blind security of conforming to the dictates of our fear and blame? If we would only see that all limitations are self-imposed and chosen out of fear, we would leap at once into the arms of grace, no matter how fierce that embrace might be.

      It is Love that leads us beyond all fear and into the solitude of our being. There we find our utter aloneness because we stand free of all the false comforts of illusion and find the capacity to stand where no one else can stand for us. We are alone not because we have isolated ourselves behind an emotional defense or false transcendence, but because we are no longer held captive by either the mind or fear.

      To stand alone in true solitude is to stand in the recognition of the absolute completeness and unity of all manner of existence. And from that common ground, where nothing and no one is foreign to you, your love extends across the magnitude of time and embraces the greatest and smallest of things.

      - Adyashanti