#4933 - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

  • Jerry K
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 9:02 AM

      #4933 - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Interview with Julian Noyce, publisher of Non-Duality Press, on Nonduality America

      http://nondualityamerica.wordpress.com/

      According to your website, you discovered there was: "a need for authentic and accessible contemporary writing on the subject" —please tell us more about your creation of Non-Duality Press and how that came about.

      When we published our first book in 2004 it was very obvious that there were many worthwhile communicators or realizers who weren't being published and were unlikely to be published any time soon. Books of any quality in this field could be numbered in the dozens rather than the thousands. So, my impression at this time, was that the non-dual community (such as it was), or people who might be interested in this approach, were not being very well served by publishers. Certainly, one or two books a year might emerge, or, after a large fanfare, a picture book with photos of Ramana Maharshi might be published. With the exception of Advaita Press who published Balsekar's and Wayne Liquorman's books, and Inner Directions, the scene at that time seemed slow and lumbering. This was not reflecting my experience and the impression that there seemed to be the beginnings of a genuine integration and re-expression of Eastern teachings in the West.

      Nathan Gill, `Sailor' Bob Adamson, Leo Hartong and Joan Tollifson. These teachers had many years of experience behind them but were not hamstrung by dogma or affiliated to any particular lineage. I found this an exciting development; so-called enlightened communicators, with Western conditioning, expressing and living something that just a few years earlier was previously thought to the preserve of gurus from the East. These writers were cultured and widely read but also `ordinary' and accessible.

      Returning to your question, in 2003 I starting a small business importing books from around the world, mostly from the US and India, for sale in the UK where they were quite difficult to get hold of. This happened to coincide with the internet becoming more accessible so that I was able to construct and maintain a website. Some of these titles were quite costly to import so I initially spoke to Sailor Bob's people in Australia and asked if they would license Bob's book to me for re-publishing in Europe. This was the first book we published and from there I asked Nathan Gill who I had known for several if he would like to write something. We then took on two excellent books by Joan Tollifson and Leo Hartong that had initially been self-published. I wondered in the early days if enough worthwhile manuscripts would come along but as we can see there has been a blossoming of writing on this subject since then.

      Read the  entire interview here:

      http://nondualityamerica.wordpress.com/